Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Webchat
Blue Dwarf wrote:
We don't have the money for the flash license to do the fixes (or rather, don't want to spend it to use it once).

This won't be going anywhere any time soon I don't think.

So take it down.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

It already is, mostly.

You can get at it via starsonata.com/webchat, but I don't think there are any links to it any where.

Support

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:18 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

What about piping (if that's the right word) all the chats to various IRC channels?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 am
Content Dev

anilv wrote:
What about piping (if that's the right word) all the chats to various IRC channels?

I... think this isn't very viable.

I done some research on what we're currently using, although I'm somewhat limited on my current knowledge.

Currently the IRCd (IRC server) we're using is UnrealIRCD. Services are provided by Anope. Both of these programs are licensed under GNU GPL. The GNU GPL license is a free (speech, not beer) software license which grants people the right to copy, modify and distribute software while also granting other people the same rights to their modifications.

In essence, any implementation where the IRCd or services are part of the game server isn't feasible, as it'd require us to re license the server as a GPL compatible license.

The GPL doesn't even allow us to link (static or dynamic) to a library (those lovely .dll files on windows), which would take annoying amount of restructuring the IRCd probably.

Although we could possibly use a different IRCd in the game server and connect it to the current IRCd as a network (one that isn't GPL), but different IRCd's follow different rules (sometimes, even though they shouldn't) and they might be incompatible. However, this might involve rewriting the current chat system. =/

However, there are a couple of other options.

UnrealIRCD has a module system, which we're allowed to license our code however we want, so this could be a viable option if the IRCd had access to the game server, I don't know how feasible that'd be.

The easiest method, would be a bot (or group of bots) in the SS server which just connect to the server and act as relay bots:
e.g., in game:
(enkelin) This IRC stuff is super cool!
on IRC
<SSRelay> (enkelin) This IRC stuff is super cool!

and vice versa. Although this has other issues with moderation.

Overall, while it would be a cool idea, it's not likely to happen, and it's definitely something Jey would have to work on.

Support

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:37 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
How did the webchat access the server? Does it just connect via IP or is there a specific API on the server? It might be possible to re-code the webchat in HTML5 (specifically, javascript).

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:43 pm
Content Dev

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
How did the webchat access the server? Does it just connect via IP or is there a specific API on the server? It might be possible to re-code the webchat in HTML5 (specifically, javascript).

TCP socket, like the game client.

I would do one in JS, but I don't have the information I need to do it, and JS by nature is open source, which my cause problems (I dunno, I haven't seen a line of client or webchat code :P)

Support

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:53 pm