Team: Traders League
Main: Lazerus
Level: 2345

Post Bug Report May 2014
Bug Report - May 2014

Graphics:-

Drones sometimes dont display, you have to click on their known location to suddenly see the drone. Perma Drones that is. I've not noticed this problem with temps.

When you first dock with a user base, apon first run and login, the game's frame rate slows to less that 1 a second for as much as 15 seconds, and during the end of this progressive slowdown, lag killer stops renderening ANYTHING except names... for most of the screen, from top to bottom, some amount of raster-lines seem to "ray trace" it all after that! This wont reset to full ray-trace render details at all, or it might, after a few minutes - usualy you have to re-start client and hope it doesnt quite lag the same apon your first player-base dock, or it will happen again!

Background Nebulae graphics etc and lyceum arrows etc, are corrupted! using the /lkc rmbg 1 command fixes this for most instances, except lyceum, ring, and other places.. the garbelling is intermittent in its content, usually black pixel-clusters where their should be the particular graphics general image instead. This wasnt an issue ever, till a few uni's ago.. so is a not so recent a bug, but that needs to be attended to, its related to texture ram and possible cross referancing of such etc., with no "regard" to past allocations!

When using onboard intel graphics chipsets (like peoples new lappy's etc) , the radar window, when resized smaller, wont actually resize its contents to fit!! this has been a bug ever since c2's radar was changed in the first place, andneeds to be adressed! just use a different set of commands to achieve the same objective, in place of the single commands that NVIDIA etc chipsets dont fail at! A matter of set-detection, and command jurastiction!

When you turn Off the radar window, you get horrible randomized clusters of large and small FILLED usually White Squares all over the screen comming non-asynchronosly! Regardless of graphics chipset standards! (Open-GL{Intel} or Direct-X{NVIDIA/ATI} commands!) this usually occurs for a few seconds, or continues permanently, after a jump and depending on the contents of that system you emerge into! This bug has been around since the radar was changed from its first c2 inception!!! thus THERE is where the non-conformist code changes, and dissasociative menory handlings are at Fault!!

Flag's on Intel Chipsets are mis-represented! On intels, the old size flags are small, and out of rectangle, and the new size flags are more what they should be! On Nvidia's and Ati's, both types of flags are the proper re-scalled game size. However, flags at the moment are not being displayed for the user's ships and slaves, sometimes they are, but only for the system your in, till you jump out, and then their all gone.. it is a bit intermittent, and is related to a SECOND port for ss-client communications, as i've said in an older bug report!

Game Play:-

Slave's Drop-Back at the point they would have came to a hault at your current position! this bug has been around for more than a year now, nearly two. Its been explained in my previous bug reports, succinctly, and not been resolved. Its a simple matter of changing the ai's behavioural choices to make sure that they do come to that full stop on your current position (when they choose that option, from others like floating around your moving position!!), instead of dropping back to the point before, where they made taht particular movement decision! do i need explain that a 4th time? grr. Its embarassing ss's reputation as an excellent client/game!

Drones, temporaries, and perma's, sometimes dont tractor at all! Maybe if you jump out, then back in, they may then show at what would have been their moved position, perhaps not.

Drones your directly above, temp's in particular, sometimes wont scoup, rejecting their obvious un-changed coordinates, and if you move around a bit, trying to scoup, you'll get the drone... strange but simple bug that one, make sure temps' drone coords dont change without rendering them in the new position (eg as a result of a physical ai hit or what ever). Again, this never used to be an issue till this uni!

** When you edit ss's code mechanics for new ideas and methadologies, you MUST adhere to the current structural considerations and variable necessities or things will go a-rhy like this. Simply allowing someone to change client/server's scripting without knowledge of how such is protocoled, will result in these sort of 'rediculous' bugs.

Client:-

Apon successfull load of textures, and apon opportunity to select your account to use, the client goes to load horrible amounts of data (15meg or so as a max or there abouts) from the wiki's info section, which costs too much data every client start!! (not everybody around the world has unlimited subscriptions, most are pre-paid!), and the Picture representative of each blog-forum post, doesnt resize to fit on Intels, does on nvidias, AND it slows the cpu down horribly!!! noticible on a machine of 2ghz single core, hardly on a dual core or better 3.5ghz. Terribly inefficient code, and horrible time-share structure is the cause of this! basic programming principles would have such a function wait for a verticle-blank!

Data throughput rates have been as high as 250kbps or more ever since c2! compared to c1's more worldly acceptable below 56kbps or up to 128kbps or so during heavy combat! This is a problem the furthur away from server, around the planet, you are, as MOST other countries, besides USA and CHINA/JAPAN do NOT have optic networks or high speed ultra broadband total-user service capabilities, not only does this result in Client-Side LAG when super swarms or F.M location causes more than 256kbps rates, but also costs users too much per hour! an average of 15-30meg an hour now, instead of c1's 5-8 or so!! Simply send and recieve Compressed binary-structured object-data, instead of what's being used now, that should more than halve current throughput rates. Please! The less the rate, the less delay from server, the less the rate, the less it costs us all, and the more playable it is!

---------------------

Thats all I can think of at the moment,

Sincerely,

From Lazerus

;-\

---------------------

Addendum - 01:43 7th May 2014 +9:30GMT

Sadly, apon this time, it would seem that Magic Attack Drones are now no longer displaying any graphical representation at all, they appear invisible on the game screen and the small-icon selection bar! I find this exceptionally disheartening, and would seem to suggest that their is an online perpitrator, interfearing with server<->client behavoural command structure (messing with how client performs due orders from server - as sadly vulnerable, it was detailed to be one of the profound features of c2's ability, asside from shutting down and patching old superior c1!)

Mon May 05, 2014 9:33 pm
Main: The Vert
Level: 60

Post Re: Bug Report May 2014
Thank you for this massive bug report. For future reports, please limit it to 1 bug pr. thread please :) It is much easier for us to respond to and keep track of. I will try to reply to as many points as possible :)

lazerus wrote:
Drones sometimes dont display, you have to click on their known location to suddenly see the drone. Perma Drones that is. I've not noticed this problem with temps.

We are aware of drones visually disappearing, it is on our bug tracker :)

lazerus wrote:
Slave's Drop-Back at the point they would have came to a hault at your current position! this bug has been around for more than a year now, nearly two. Its been explained in my previous bug reports, succinctly, and not been resolved. Its a simple matter of changing the ai's behavioural choices to make sure that they do come to that full stop on your current position (when they choose that option, from others like floating around your moving position!!), instead of dropping back to the point before, where they made taht particular movement decision! do i need explain that a 4th time? grr. Its embarassing ss's reputation as an excellent client/game!

Yes, we are aware of this issue and it is on our bug tracker. We have however not been able to track down the source which we need to do in order to fix the bug, and the priority of this bug has dropped as we had more important issues coming up, but I will try to see if a bug fixer can spend some time looking into this :)

lazerus wrote:
Drones, temporaries, and perma's, sometimes dont tractor at all! Maybe if you jump out, then back in, they may then show at what would have been their moved position, perhaps not.

This is an issue with desync and it is on our bug tracker :) It also appears for mobile drones as they simply appear in the client as non-mobile.

I am going to try to get some other developers to help me with the rest of these reports as they are a bit hard to understand. If you can read through the bug reporting guidelines when you make your next bug report, that would be of huge help :D

Please check these Bug report guidelines before you make your first bug report, or if you are uncertain on how to do it.

Thu May 15, 2014 3:55 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Post Re: Bug Report May 2014
For your graphical issues, you should generate a dxdiag so we can see if it's something funny in your computer, some of these reports I've never heard of before so it's possible.

Also, I feel I should add. SS uses only DirectX 3D, no OpenGL.

I'll be able to give you some more information after I get some more information from you. :)

Support

Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am