Team: Traders League
Main: Lazerus
Level: 2345

Post Excessive DATA-RATE
I can only surmise what's changed about client and sever, to result in data-rates for game play that are in the order of TEN TIMES the C1 average... I'm recording as much as 250kbps for fighting one lone big green with 3 frigates, fighters, and 7 ampages and 3 drones!

Here is a screeny (*below - look for the mouse pointer, and the red-readout on the data-rate monitor) of 130kbps for fighting ONE AI!, Just freaking ONE! In the days of superior Client-1, you could go dging with a squad and not get above 65-100kbps (broadband rates)...

What needs to be done is have a professional come along and ratify how client and server are talking with each other, make sure they communicate in BINARY, instead of what's likely STRINGS of textual data at the moment.

No-one can be expected to pay 5 to 10 times the expence just for an hour of ss game play, and the truth is, most infrastructural connections drop out at 200kbps+, as i've noticed as well.

It really would seem that an amature has taken an axe to the prevriously proffesional data handling of client and server, now we (the players) are litteraly all paying the price for their lack of software enginewity!

So, I re-interate - Client 1 used to keep data rates below 65kbps early on, and tried to keep it below 128kbps broadband rates so as to be playable for anybody and everybody around the world, even during local peak times. Client 2 is ATTROCIOIUS!

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT for God-Sake.

Compressed BINARY Data-Streams, NOT Linguistic-Text STRINGS of information. Gawd. Verry anoying and play costs are around 5-10 times per hour, Un Acceptable!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:28 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Excessive DATA-RATE
Who doesn't have at least 1 Mb/sec these days?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:29 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
anilv wrote:
Who doesn't have at least 1 Mb/sec these days?

Seriously. I can play SS on my 3G phone connection. If you get less than 1mb/s download speed you need to rethink your ISP choice.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:20 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

I spoke to Jey earlier, he was bored and working on some networking optimization anyway.

He says since C1, the networking usage of SS has gone down.

He also said that he got annoyed that about 70% of our bandwidth out was something to do with sob movement/position and managed to reduce it by about a third.

Support

Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:08 pm