Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3332

Post Re: The Emperor's Run
erman wrote:
Time Warp,

You do kinda freak out whenever anyone says anything even hinting at an opinion different than yours, so try not to get all sore all the time just to prove how tough you are. We get it...we really do... He is on a f2p account, I don't care if he's Trevor, Bizman or Jeff_L, if you're on a f2p account, you should not be able to post on the forums, or, atleast anywhere other than Misc. This is a suggestion I've made like 3 times.

The system is flawed because there is no reasonable way to oppose an emp run. The gals that people own constitute the majority of a person's income and sense of safety in this game. If someone loses their entire galaxy, they might not have much else to play for. While you can't destroy someone's character, you can destroy their interest in using that character. And taking out someone's gal is a pretty quick way to do that. Bollox. People are constantly bitching for there to be more PvP, more BvB and mroe risk (myself included), but when they get it they decide thye don't want it and have a little cry in the quitting corner. (Myself not included)

I think that any significant emp system reform which doesnt address pvp/bvb reform and make some way to ensure at least some meaningful punitive measures for retribution against stopping an emp run is pretty much a waste of time.

Would you honestly be for a uni-wide war over the emp title? causing how many people to quit when they lose their gals? I would love that. Emp should give more rewards than it alreayd does, there should be somethign extra special, because whilst the Seals are very nice, a Tithe, Star(Which have all dissapeared which is BS) and Auras for councillor/directors are quite trivial. It should be something REALLY worth fighting for, thereby justifying the Uni War.

This kinda brings up another point that I've wanted to make for a while but have been too lazy to make my own thread.

All these quitting posts do seem to be on the rise. My own team fell victim to them this week. I really do believe that most of them are NOT quitting due to C2. I think they are quitting because they have wanted to for a long time, but kinda got sucked in by the obligation to continue playing to keep their characters progressing or keeping their gals up, or helping out with their teams. That certainly wasn't me. Real Life > Star Sonata, - if real life called and I had to drop eveyrhting on SS I'm not going to have a second thought, lol. However, Trevor would argue the priorities are as follows: Trevor > Real Life > Star SOnata.

When the new client was released it was like someone turned a big page in this games story, started a new chapter, and while it didn't really matter what the next chapter was going to be, many people saw it as a nice place to just put the book down and step away. Uni resets just weren't enough for these people, the change to C2 was a big enough of a artificial break to let them step back and pull the trigger on what they have been hinting at for a while. You're going to gaol Sir, you just hit the head of that poor innocent nail very well.

Is there a remedy to this problem? I don't think so really. We will need a big influx of new players, and I hope we get them. I'm starting to get a little concerned that they aren't coming though. we'll see... A sustained increase in players would be far more prefferable. We'd end up with a SS player base where there is a few at the top and enormous amounts of people at the bottom clawing their way up. Which wouldn't be good for the game.

-ERMAN Timmeh*

Timmeh

/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 pm
Team: Traders
Main: ERMAN
Level: 8510

Mail wrote:
Bollox. People are constantly bitching for there to be more PvP, more BvB and mroe risk (myself included), but when they get it they decide thye don't want it and have a little cry in the quitting corner. (Myself not included)

This is my point, not yours.

When people really know what happens during a war, they don't like it. Therefore they won't do things that will guarantee a war, like attacking the palace and challenging an emp run.

-ERMAN

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Rhys
Level: 3919

High risk = mechanics that we have for Base v Base = High Gains

Low risk = mechanics that we have Ship v Ship = Low Gains

[Previously: Ship v Ship = High Gains depending on the GG and forgetfulness of people]

Note: Also Ship v Base shouldn't really be an viable alternative seeing as that would mean low risk = high gains [Basically how it is in EVE, you generally need a rather large fleet of higher class ships ($$$$$ costly) specifically designed for base action to take down a base, not a squad of PvE auged snipers/zerkers unless you spend a nice sum of resources (StM baseslots) for overwhelming dps kits].

Seems like the risk vs. reward in the game is a bit varied and unbalanced as it is for the two components of PvP (SvS & BvB). Not sure if it's intentional, but wouldn't the playerbase be more open to a more consistent layout? i.e. choose to be like carebear WoW players (where your only loss is the annoyance of a graveyard trip) or hardcore EVE players (where you could lose pretty much everything, including your character skills if your forget enough)?

The matter of emp mechanics, as ERMAN is saying, is highly hinged upon therefore the matter of these unbalanced modes of PvP in SS [in relativity].

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 am
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

Rounder wrote:
High risk = mechanics that we have for Base v Base = High Gains

Low risk = mechanics that we have Ship v Ship = Low Gains

[Previously: Ship v Ship = High Gains depending on the GG and forgetfulness of people]

Note: Also Ship v Base shouldn't really be an viable alternative seeing as that would mean low risk = high gains [Basically how it is in EVE, you generally need a rather large fleet of higher class ships ($$$$$ costly) specifically designed for base action to take down a base, not a squad of PvE auged snipers/zerkers unless you spend a nice sum of resources (StM baseslots) for overwhelming dps kits].

Seems like the risk vs. reward in the game is a bit varied and unbalanced as it is for the two components of PvP (SvS & BvB). Not sure if it's intentional, but wouldn't the playerbase be more open to a more consistent layout? i.e. choose to be like carebear WoW players (where your only loss is the annoyance of a graveyard trip) or hardcore EVE players (where you could lose pretty much everything, including your character skills if your forget enough)?

The matter of emp mechanics, as ERMAN is saying, is highly hinged upon therefore the matter of these unbalanced modes of PvP in SS [in relativity].

Playing along with the new "parts system" for ships and pvp combat, how the ship value is calculated and such.... what if Earthforce offered "Space Base Insurance"?

Essentially, a player (or team) can take out a policy that insures bases against destruction and looting. The player pays a daily/weekly tithe and they can pick the amount of cover they get - from like 30% to 70% refund on total cost of gear on base.

I haven't seen a base killed in C2 yet, but I'm sure an insurance-type system would prevent people quitting [as ERMAN pointed out in an above post].

The attackers get their reward, while the defenders lose something - but not everything.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:40 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

would be good except cash is next to useless atm, pointless being paid out on a policy if you cant buy your stuff back in the market.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 am
Profile WWW
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Visorak wrote:
Perhaps some way to clear the evidence of who the aggressor is? No names shown, Levels rounded to nearest 100, ships given generic sprite based on tech/hull type, team flags set to "Emp Runner" or "Anti-Emp". The wormhole exit would dump all the aggressors in random gals when they leave.

I personally would go for a solution more along these lines. Anonymity in "war" would make assaulting the Emperor's hold essentially risk free. If my idea was implemented, it would be a lot easier to manage radia's system since you could anonymize players on entrance/exit to the layer.

Pretty simple:
If not on emp team, display a generic graphic for each other player depicting ship tech for emp team members.

It could simply be based on tech level and actual level. Subdivide generic ship models for:
Tier 1 = T0-T5
Tier 2 = T6-T10
Tier 3 = T11-15
Tier 4 = T16-T20
Tier 5 = T21+

-Apply a particle glow based on the players level for various parts of the ship. For instance,the Tier 5 model could have more "glow zones" than the Tier 4.
-Higher level equating to hotter colored glow zones(red/oranges being the highest leveled players blues and greens being the lowest).
-Scale the generic model to the same size as the player's actual ship when they enter.
-Assign names randomly to players from a list with certain prefixes reserved for level ranges, or based on glory.
-Galaxy chat messages from anonymous players would be garbled to emp team members.
-Gameplay would be the same for players not on the emp team.

A relatively simple system that would require a bit of work, but there is literally no risk for an attacking players galaxies or possessions.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:34 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Which would mean, if you harbor ill will towards *any* attacking players, the emp team would have to kill off every other team in game to figure out who shot the palace?

Sweeet.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 am
Team: Beta Frequency
Main: Discharge
Level: 2691

Madridista wrote:
[I haven't seen a base killed in C2 yet

We capped and demolished Dinky2s four bases. 1 T20 unauged HQ kit, 1 T18 Achilles kit with no dampeners and regular Achilles gear, with 3 Hebe Augmenters and 1 Rock Troll Augmenter, and 1 T18 healer Achilles kit with 3 Poseidon+ and 1 Rock Troll, 1 T16 healer kit with 3 Rock Troll and 1 Hebe Augmenter, and 1 T16 DPS kit with 3 Slumber Augmenters and 1 Zombie Rat Queen Augmenter (this was also his production base). Yeah, this is a true story.

Thank you for taking your time to read my derailing, now proceed the discussion of the main idea in this topic.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:19 am
Main: thebattler36
Level: 2015

I definitely think emperor runs must be changed.

However I also believe we need to discuss and select from a fuller range of suggestions which are as detailed as this. Simply /signing this because its a great suggestion would be inadequate since no other alternate systems have been considered.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:38 am
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

Why don't we just 100% take out pvp, bvb, start smoking hash and join the peace corps.

War was the best most addicting part of this game. Anyone want to mindlessly grind dgs and oly endlessly... Farm cols and trade... So sad... That is every other game. You've marginalized the unique part of ss. For 10$ more are 20 other games without pvp and much better graphics.

Someone call Jeff a hippy.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:09 am
Main: thebattler36
Level: 2015

goett wrote:
Why don't we just 100% take out pvp, bvb, start smoking hash and join the peace corps.

War was the best most addicting part of this game. Anyone want to mindlessly grind dgs and oly endlessly... Farm cols and trade... So sad... That is every other game. You've marginalized the unique part of ss. For 10$ more are 20 other games without pvp and much better graphics.

Someone call Jeff a hippy.

/signed

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:23 am
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

Emp run should be an event, where for a week or a couple days every ship in the galaxy is no name, no one can see your flag except for squads and teammates. This way people can defend themselves, and attack while still being anonymous. Also, during this time, pvp restrictions should be lifted. So a lvl 300 can attack a level 1500 and still be anonymous. Of course the method of bringing the crown to sol will have to be different, and not be limited to one galaxy or one team.

idk just suggestions

- Paxx

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:36 pm
Team: Traders
Main: playerboy345
Level: 3084

paxiprime wrote:

Emp run should be an event, where for a week or a couple days every ship in the galaxy is no name, no one can see your flag except for squads and teammates. This way people can defend themselves, and attack while still being anonymous. Also, during this time, pvp restrictions should be lifted. So a lvl 300 can attack a level 1500 and still be anonymous. Of course the method of bringing the crown to sol will have to be different, and not be limited to one galaxy or one team.

idk just suggestions

- Paxx

Pussy.

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:40 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

I'd like to see more emp ideas that are really well thought out......

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:41 pm
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

haha whatever man I don't even play anymore xD

Why doesn't SBP throw the first stone then :P

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:14 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next