Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
Team: Eminence Front
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Post maybe best suggestion since C2
stop making new content and start fixing the billion bugs

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 am
Main: Evo
Level: 34

Post Re: maybe best suggestion since C2
New content? What new content?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

I understand where your coming from. The issue is mainly content is being released faster than the bugs can be squashed. A new patch will come out with a whole heap of bugs, people will eventually fix those bugs, but by the time they do another patch has come out released another wave of the nasty critters.

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:09 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Worse suggestion since C2.

Content Developers (unless are also programmers) can't fix bugs.

Stopping content development would also cause more stagnation like we got at T20.

Support

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 am

Camsy wrote:
I understand where your coming from. The issue is mainly content is being released faster than the bugs can be squashed. A new patch will come out with a whole heap of bugs, people will eventually fix those bugs, but by the time they do another patch has come out released another wave of the nasty critters.

indeed

syberian wrote:
New content? What new content?

basing tutorial, gunner stuff, nightfury, Strontium-90 stuff etc. etc.
also seen some stuff that been "fixed" but still is nothing done on (not caring much since they arent major bugs)

you cant make a game better if you dont fix bugs, and if you ad stuff, test it good before set it all live, first test it self, then let it tested by players. players can see stuff devmins cant

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Worse suggestion since C2.

Content Developers (unless are also programmers) can't fix bugs.

Stopping content development would also cause more stagnation like we got at T20.

i have been thinking about that after i posted it, but im sure most content developers also know a bit about fixing bugs. else there wont be a reason for them to look and respond in the bug section or bug reports in the support system like they know how to fix it

dont see it as a negative feedback but as a suggestion, before someone starts thinking we dont like how this game is now

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 am
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

as bobbo mentioned, the people who do content generally dont have the knowledge / capacity to fix bugs (short of content bugs). There is a lot more manpower in content development than coding (partly because its much easier to get a new content dev in than a new programmer :P)

Bug fixing and performance optimization represent about 90% of the programming workload currently.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:40 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

lordjeroen wrote:
i have been thinking about that after i posted it, but im sure most content developers also know a bit about fixing bugs. else there wont be a reason for them to look and respond in the bug section or bug reports in the support system like they know how to fix it

dont see it as a negative feedback but as a suggestion, before someone starts thinking we dont like how this game is now

Err, currently, the only content-only dev with access to bug support tickets is me (well, SMW has access but he doesn't handle any). I only have access to handle the content related tickets, but their so few and thin I do a lot of being a messenger between the person and Jey (since Jey doesn't have time to do that).

Again, Jey, or the other programmers, don't have time to be searching the forums for bugs to fix, so we act as messengers. Scorpio and yclepticon who do bug tickets are QA devs, they don't touch content (Scorpio is new).

So yeah, us content devs, we lurk around the Bug forums to pick up any bugs which we can do (like a typo on an item or something silly), but otherwise we're just messengers to the programmers because the programmers are busy programming, content devs aren't always busy making content.

Support

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:49 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

if u let devs fix bugs u end up with AEM faux pas...

content is vanity, bugs are sanity

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:29 am
Profile WWW

hmm ok that explains it
didnt know it was that much of a difference, just was weird new contend goes in but only few bug fixes, now i know why things havent changed
i would like to help with bugs and stuff but i suck at coding and am just lazy

can have a lock and move now

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:07 pm
Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: yclept
Level: 2002

Bugs in the code present a lot of challenges. Firstly, you need highly trusted and reliable devs for the work since it involves server code.

Secondly, most code bugs are difficult to reproduce since they are triggered by very specific circumstances. Due to the complexity of the code, it's not feasible to read it line by line and just "figure out" where things go wrong. It took us eight months to track down the infamous bug where fires disabled shield charging (see next patch if it's not in yet); I am still not quite sure what special set of circumstances triggered it but the one reproducible case we found eventually led us to the solution.

Finally, you should consider that new content itself is very rarely the source of new code bugs. That only happens when code is specifically created to facilitate the content, which really only applies to new major zones such as Olympus. The point is that content devs have very little connection to code bugs and basically no ability to resolve them anyway. This goes for QA devs too, by the way. :P

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. You may know me in-game as enkelin. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:15 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]