Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Main: flo02
Level: 2631

Post Re: 1 new focus 2 new classes
landswimmer wrote:
bumping for non churchil response

AND because i like your forum avatar!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

How would one use the Quantum class in PvAI? It's not helpful being able to travel fast if you can't do anything once you get where you're going. Would it only be for harass PvP?

The other one sounds kind of cool.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 am
Team: White Star
Main: xXxIrishKnightxXx
Level: 20

If the "portal" class gets added i demand one of the descriptions be "Now you're thinking with portals"

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

anilv wrote:
How would one use the Quantum class in PvAI? It's not helpful being able to travel fast if you can't do anything once you get where you're going. Would it only be for harass PvP?

The other one sounds kind of cool.

having no initial stats which stack with augs means a player can aug for anything they want. a quant could be augged for tractoring, DPS, shields, anything...

eventually, players will work out how best to use it for leveling. until then its an open system, players will experiment and try to find the most useful application of the class.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:15 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Yes, but with no class bonuses to really anything combat related the class will severely underperform in any combat duty. And since the only point of the class is to travel from A to B quickly, that doesn't exactly apply to any existing content (unless it can also carry the rest of the squad with it). I agree that it's not completely the content devs' job to figure out how to use their creations to the fullest extent, but that doesn't mean it's ok to add severely underpowered classes to the game. Typically, the outcome of that is that later on some other content dev makes a ton of class-locked gear to improve the weaker class (Sniper, Gunner), which could have all been more elegantly averted if the class hadn't been made so weak to begin with.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 am

anilv wrote:
Yes, but with no class bonuses to really anything combat related the class will severely underperform in any combat duty. And since the only point of the class is to travel from A to B quickly, that doesn't exactly apply to any existing content (unless it can also carry the rest of the squad with it). I agree that it's not completely the content devs' job to figure out how to use their creations to the fullest extent, but that doesn't mean it's ok to add severely underpowered classes to the game. Typically, the outcome of that is that later on some other content dev makes a ton of class-locked gear to improve the weaker class (Sniper, Gunner), which could have all been more elegantly averted if the class hadn't been made so weak to begin with.

all valid points, however, there is nothing stopping the admins adding in combat boosts at a later date, once they have seen how the class operates in combat.

better to introduce it underpowered, and have to beef it later, than to introduce it overpowered and have to nerf it later, its almost a fact of life in SS that no new content is ever perfectly balanced.

personally i can think of many ways to use it in both PvP and PvAI, and since 90% of people in SS dont give a fuck what my opinion is, i'd rather show them than tell them specific aug setups.

and as for the classlocked gear issue, having no inbuilt class combat bonuses means that in the event that the class needs to be beefed, it will be the inbuilt class bonuses that get changed/beefed, and no classlocked gear ever needs to be added.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 pm
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

I would rather see these mechanics added to already existing classes as utility bonuses.

Something like a 2nd class at t22, with a completely new sub skill tree.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 pm

paxiprime wrote:
hey this trolling thing looks fun!

can i try it?

NO.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 am
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

I wasn't trolling at all... in fact I think you are.

You want a class that just hops around and can be anything you want it to be? Why not just make this some type of added skill you learn later on in the game so people can get it on any class they want? ofc there would be other skills besides added warp abilities that you could get.

As long as you insist on not having a definitive idea, this content will never see the light of day, is all I am trying to say. I'm just trying to help to be honest.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 pm

paxiprime wrote:
I wasn't trolling at all... in fact I think you are.

You want a class that just hops around and can be anything you want it to be? no, i want a class designed to outperform seer and SD in their agility and survivability, but with lower DPS and no LF requirement, and a class which is completely different to all the other classes in SS. Why not just make this some type of added skill you learn later on in the game so people can get it on any class they want? because it would either be OP, or completely fail to do what the class is intended to do. i have explained this to churchil half a dozen times, i am not going to waste my time explaining it to you. ofc there would be other skills besides added warp abilities that you could get.

As long as you insist on not having a definitive idea, no, you're making a massive effort to troll harder, and you'd be succeeding if your opponent was anyone else... the idea is definitive, its "defining class features" have been laid out, all is left for the admins is to set subskills which properly balance the class. it was even moved into "suggestions under consideration" this content will never see the light of day, it has a much better chance than "hey, lets allow all the classes to teleport in such a way that makes PWIs both useless, and extremely underpowered! that totally wont fuck the game over! is all I am trying to say. I'm just trying to help to be honest.

get an admin to say the things you're saying, then i might beleive you're not trolling

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:52 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

I'm very much against Teleport as a standalone class because there is already a class that

Quote:
having no initial stats which stack with augs means a player can aug for anything they want

Gunner Class was made with this in mind, except it has missiles.
I'm not trolling. Those are YOUR words.

Suggestions Under Considerations are often bookmarked suggestions. Makes it easier to find when you want to use a specific idea. Jeff bookmarked a number of my suggestions not because he wanted to code the whole thing, but because he wanted a specific part.

If you want a more specific reason, it's not that the suggested mechanic has no merit or it's uncool. It's because the [teleport class] suggestion has no outstanding effects that can't be covered by another class, and the way you make it out to be is weaker than every other class in nearly every other way.

It also makes Tractor Locutions even more broken. Spend 100m developing such (ship) setup, have as much presence as a 500b Olympus (ship) setup.

Quantum class, on the other hand, has more merit.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 am

Max235 wrote:
I'm very much against Teleport as a standalone class because there is already a class that

Quote:
having no initial stats which stack with augs means a player can aug for anything they want

Gunner Class was made with this in mind, except it has missiles.
I'm not trolling. Those are YOUR words. gunner is also pushed into using mining damage, and using a capship, and CANT TELEPORT WITHOUT ITEMS

Suggestions Under Considerations are often bookmarked suggestions. Makes it easier to find when you want to use a specific idea. Jeff bookmarked a number of my suggestions not because he wanted to code the whole thing, but because he wanted a specific part

what the fuck is your problem?

SRSLY, Y U MAD THO?

WHY DOES THE EXISTENCE OF THIS THREAD PISS YOU OFF SO MUCH?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Gunner isn't pushed into using mining weapons. Mining weapons do so little damage on the most powerful DPS based setup that it isn't feasible to call it a "DPS Class". A Red Photon Warship augged Capital Offensive/Reaver Aug puts out a pitiful 11k DPS with a pair of Adv RP Astroid Drills. Using the stats of the ARPAD, every other class puts out at least double that damage. And most of them are single fire classes.

Gunner is pressured into using Missiles over anything else, which allows for an absolute ton of setups to be used, because missiles are not dependent on aug setups. It's dependent on the amount of Missile launchers you stack and how high your Missile Mastery skill is. Destruction is a pitiful +20% damage with any weapon. You can use Heph Forging Mauls for all we care; your Destruction effect is the same as using Mining Laser I's.

Hence, every major Gunner that doesn't have the money to outright buy a Zeus Throne+ (LB) can aug 2 Sup. Resist or even use 2 Aug Plug, and still play with the best.

No, I don't hate this suggestion. I find it funny you're still clinging to an obviously flawed idea. You get a C for effort.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 am

Max235 wrote:
Gunner isn't pushed into using mining weapons. Mining weapons do so little damage on the most powerful DPS based setup that it isn't feasible to call it a "DPS Class". i never called it a DPS class, you asshat A Red Photon Warship augged Capital Offensive/Reaver Aug puts out a pitiful 11k DPS with a pair of Adv RP Astroid Drills. Using the stats of the ARPAD, every other class puts out at least double that damage. And most of them are single fire classes. while somewhat correct, this has no fucking relevance to my suggestion

Gunner is pressured into using Missiles over anything else, which allows for an absolute ton of setups to be used, because missiles are not dependent on aug setups. and that, is entirely fucking different from both of the classes i have suggested. It's dependent on the amount of Missile launchers you stack and how high your Missile Mastery skill is. Destruction is a pitiful +20% damage with any weapon. You can use Heph Forging Mauls for all we care; your Destruction effect is the same as using Mining Laser I's. again, relevance? usually when someone is trying to make a point, they post things that back it up, not things that make no difference to it

Hence, every major Gunner that doesn't have the money to outright buy a Zeus Throne+ (LB) can aug 2 Sup. Resist or even use 2 Aug Plug, and still play with the best.

No, I don't hate this suggestion. I find it funny you're still clinging to an obviously flawed idea. i find it funny that you have nothing better to do with your life than attempt to sink my suggestion You get a C for effort. you get a T for trololololol

i'm sorry churchil, did i accidentally give the impression that i give a fuck what you think?

you might wanna wait for an admin to reply, so you can convince them that you're right

because you sure as hell arent gonna convince me

the only thing you've convinced me of is that i would LOVE having the ability to delete anything you post in my threads.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:55 am
Main: Xenodread
Level: 2605

It would be cool to see these classes' DPS based on the use of jux weapons. You fire, teleport, fire again, and watch the target explode.

Don't listen to me though. I've never gotten those weapons to work.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:59 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next