Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

Post My response to StarSonataSucks.com
I figured it was worth while to directly address the arguments of whoever made Star Sonata Sucks directly.

Quote:
Crashes: Following universe resets (occurring every three months) the Star Sonata servers are plagued by regularly occurring crashes for several weeks. After this period, the servers continue to crash, but less often. The game client is highly prone to crashes as well.

From what I've seen, this hasn't happened during the most recent Reset. This Universe Reset was pretty stable. However, these things happened for YEARS. No matter what the reason, that is a black mark on Star Sonata's record.

Bugs: Star Sonata has more bugs than your average MMO. Undock your ship, and your docked ships sometimes appear in your slave list. Enter a newly created galaxy, and your client may crash. Tow your ship, and all your items might temporarily disappear. For some players, backgrounds randomly become distorted or are replaced by a black void. The settings in the start screen do not persist on some systems, requiring you to change them again once the game boots. The base trade menu fails to display items that clearly exist, and you must add them from your ship inventory interface.

I don't know about the first sentence, but every single thing afterwards is 100% true. All have happened to me, and all of them still happen to me. I haven't quit because of them, but they do happen and are extremely annoying.

Quote:
Lag: For a top down, 2.5d game, Star Sonata has unjustifiable lag. Unexplained network lag occurs at random intervals, as well as when players participate in large battles. The game client is less efficient than many complex 3d MMO's, with frames per second frequently dropping to unplayable levels. For example, the game struggles on low settings with Intel HD 4000 graphics - a graphics card that easily handles games like Vendetta Online on high settings. Such issues occur with new dedicated graphics cards as well.

I wasn't having lag issues with SS for a good month or so, this month I started seeing the Lag indicator in the upper left hand corner and the game started lagging (client based graphical latency). I can play any other game on my computer and not get the same kind of lag (Except Star Trek Online. Fucking Star Trek Online lags like shit as soon as you do one of those large Space Station instances.)

Quote:
Classes: Star Sonata classes (combat specializations that players choose for a character) are perpetually unbalanced. As soon as the developers beef one underpowered class, another previously adequate class becomes underpowered.

I find this to be extremely untrue. There are no unbalanced classes, if you're dying to another player in PvP its because you're using a cookie cutter augmenter setup/"the best" setup/have no idea how to abuse the mechanics in the game/don't use the tools that exist. The only thing blatantly strong right now are MIRV's. Honestly, if it were up to me missiles would be balanced for debuffs primarily and damage secondarily. And the faster the missile, the less damage it would do. Thankfully, I'm not in charge of balance so all you knuckleheads get to continue building tank augs on your capships and just pew pewing with missiles.

Quote:
Legacy Players: Wealth disproportionately lies in old players who have several accounts and trillions of credits. If you are a new player (less than 2-3 years of play) with skill and intelligence, you will certainly die to legacy players, who multiclient several accounts and can afford multiple combat setups, each dozens of times more expensive than your own. This stems from the fact that Star Sonata is not about reflexes, ability, strategic thinking, or intelligence. Success in the game is solely based on the amount of time one spends grinding levels, farming items, pumping colonies, and performing repetitious tasks.

I'm tempted to disagree with this. The way the game works, the only people worth killing are the same people who will blacklist you for killing them. The way the game works, killing people really isn't all that important for a large chunk of the game. You can safely ignore PvP for most of your career in SS and you won't have missed anything. I will agree that, for the most part, there is a distinct lack of obvious tactical options in combat; but that's only because people tend not to use all of the options available to them (Tweaks, Super Items, etc.). A severe lack of hull space is probably part of that reason, I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Tech levels: There are currently 22 tech levels for gear and ships in Star Sonata. From tech 1 to tech 20, the gear quality increases incrementally. However, tech 21 and tech 22 bring a massive jump in power. A mediocre tech 21 setup annihilates most high end tech 20 setups and mediocre tech 22 setups destroy many high end tech 21 setups.

This actually isn't true. The power increase in tech levels looks more like this: Image

Based on the red line, ROUGH ESTIMATES. Tech 1-15 would be 1750-1930. Tech 16-18 would be 1930-1960. Tech 19 would be 1960-2000. Tech 20 would be 2000-2030, and Tech 21-22 are 2030+. This is all super rough estimates, I did no math, but those tech levels are strong for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
Economy: The Star Sonata economy is controlled by a small percentage of endgame players. Since they are in sole possession of necessary items, prices often double for no reason. Several commodities for critical skills, such as warp navigation, are located in galaxies owned by players who massively inflate prices.

Eh... I wouldn't say controlled. More like subtly influenced. There are very few things in this game that you can't get access to yourself. You used to not be able to get SM past 16 if you didn't have access to a certain galaxy, but that's changed. I can't think of a single skill or piece of equipment that you cannot get yourself (or with the help of a group of friends). The only thing you're not going to get, is massive amounts of credits.

Quote:
Player vs. Player: With Star Sonata, you either completely abstain from PVP or you become an outcast. Some players have secret PVP alternate characters or have powerful friends who supply them with money and gear, but those are the exceptions. If you choose to PVP, because you do not wish to spend ten dollars a month just to shoot AI, you will face:

- Constant verbal abuse (untruthful claims, obscene threats, childish profanity) from those you killed, the teammates of those you killed, and random players whom you have never met. This occurs in Star Sonata's public chat, personal messages, and the public bulletin board.

- Scams from players who wish to steal credits and items from you for revenge. Previously trustable players will scam you in player to player trades, so you must only perform base transactions.

This is entirely true, all the people I've known who have participated in PvP have experienced these things from a majority of the people they pirated. People took and still take non consensual PvP way too seriously.

Quote:
Playerbase: Star Sonata has an unusually high concentration of players who enjoy making racist and homophobic remarks in the public chat. They sometimes get muted. Other players continually spam the public chat with questions that are easily answered with a Google search.

Lmao, don't even gotta comment on this one. This is the internet. People are going to say shit like that because they think they can get away with it, its how it works buddy. Report them and move on.

Quote:
Missions: Almost every mission in the game follows the same pattern. Kill some AI and return items. This is worsened by the fact that for certain endgame skills, it is mandatory to repeat the same missions dozens of times.

Not only that, you can't pick the type of mission that suits your playstyle. Getting random dailies fucking sucks, especially when you get the Guardian one over and over again. I hate that. I agree with this.

Quote:
Storyline: The stories behind the various factions in Star Sonata are repetitious and pathetic: Race X wants to kill Race Y. Race Y wants to kill Race X. Continually repeat with different factions.

This isn't wrong, can't disagree at all. There's no reason to care about anything, so no one does.

Quote:
AI: The AI in this game are incredibly unintelligent. No matter what class the AI are, they will rush at you in an identical manner.

Agreed, can't really blame the admins though because AI requires resources. Also because its kind of hard to design intelligent AI for this type of game...

Quote:
Graphics: The graphics of Star Sonata are as terrible as the gameplay. The models are static and disproportionate to one another, making it impossible to have an immersive experience, even with high settings. Considering the hardware required to run this game smoothly, the poor graphics quality is unacceptable.

I agree, there are quite a few things in this game graphically that are terrible. Things in this game don't look like they even exist in the same universe. It looks like resources were taken from different games and thrown together. Thematically, the game does not fit well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul-MiX1Qge0

To be quite honest, things fit MUCH better in that trailer than they do currently. I do not know what changed from then to now.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:59 pm
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Post Re: My response to StarSonataSucks.com
ah yea, i remember that version. Altho i do like the ui in it (that was the hardcoded UI, no xml bullshit to deal with dev wise xD), it was also incredibly (and i do mean INCREDIBLY) heavy on the machine lol. On that client, before my first optimisation pass, the machine i use today for "mid range" performance testing, which now run the game at 120fps at vhigh, used to run the game at 8fps. After a first phase of optimisations with no graphical / gameplay impact, the performance was up to 13fps.

It obviously ran fine on proper gaming machine, but you could forget running it on well over 3/4 of the current ss population machines xD (those who currently have lower than 40fps would essentially hang at 2 fps or less on that old client lol).

Oh also, this version crashed on most machines due to rendering shortcuts and improper calls to d3d causing all sort of hellish nightmare for me to track and fix in the first months of alpha / beta haha.

Now that does not mean its not possible to improve the graphics quality, its just a matter of finding the time to do it (and quite frankly I'm not good with determining what look good and what doesn't, as far as I'm concerned, i would be fine with an ascii version and text control heh)

It is very easy to say "Make it pretty" or Fix that, but it's more complicated to describe how to make it pretty or what exactly to fix visually.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

The text from that site is borderline libelous. The author also used a private registrar to hide the website registrant. It also uses a copyrighted image without permission.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:06 pm
Dev Team

right i forgot this was about the website xD.

Personally i find it flattering that someone like the game enough to make a website describing everything he hate about it.

And well, you know what they say, all publicity is good publicity even bad ones !

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Jey123456 wrote:
right i forgot this was about the website xD.

Personally i find it flattering that someone like the game enough to make a website describing everything he hate about it.

And well, you know what they say, all publicity is good publicity even bad ones !

That's true.

I actually have a pretty good idea of who created it based mostly on the way they write, the specific mentioning of that particular graphics card, and the references to Vendetta Online.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:14 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

You cant worry about every little cheb neggit with a bad thing to say about SS. Every day some wizard Vx pops up hating on Jey, Starbag et al. These are the frustrations of pond scum :roll:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

I agree its easy to say "fix it" but not easy to actually fix it, that isn't going to fly when you get a much broader audience involved in the game.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:29 pm
Main: failure
Level: 173

Quote:
The text from that site is borderline libelous.

Libel refers do false statements of defamation made against a private person.

Quote:
The author also used a private registrar to hide the website registrant.

Almost all major domain name registrars offer free WHOIS protection. Who would want their home address to be posted on the internet?

Quote:
It also uses a copyrighted image without permission.

You don't copyright logos - you trademark them. The site gives proper attribution to the trademark holders.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:45 pm

rectzoid wrote:
Libel refers do false statements of defamation made against a private person.

Libel isn't limited to a private person. It also applies to businesses, including LLCs.

Quote:
Almost all major domain name registrars offer free WHOIS protection. Who would want their home address to be posted on the internet?

I didn't pass any judgement on it, just made a statement.

Quote:
You don't copyright logos - you trademark them. The site gives proper attribution to the trademark holders.

I wasn't referring to the logo, I was referring to the original content background image for the main SS website which is granted natural copyright on creation of said work.

Thanks though.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:50 pm
Main: failure
Level: 173

Quote:
Libel isn't limited to a private person. It also applies to businesses, including LLCs.

That would be trade defamation. That requires proof of a false statement, as well as proof of malicious intent.
Quote:
I wasn't referring to the logo, I was referring to the original content background image for the main SS website which is granted natural copyright on creation of said work.

No longer the case

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:09 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

So you are a playing a game that you think sucks. Sounds like you need help

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Dev Team

MasterTrader wrote:
I agree its easy to say "fix it" but not easy to actually fix it, that isn't going to fly when you get a much broader audience involved in the game.

Hopefully by that time its going to be fixed ! :P

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm

rectzoid wrote:
That would be trade defamation. That requires proof of a false statement, as well as proof of malicious intent.

Nope. Provide a source stating such. Libel can and does absolutely apply to entities, including businesses. Malicious intent has already been established. The URL is starsonatasucks; the intention is to harm the reputation by spreading factually unsound statements.
Quote:
No longer the case

Copyright protection pretty much always has and always will be provided for creators of original art. It absolutely is the case. Provide a source stating otherwise, or please stop responding about things you have no knowledge of.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:18 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

biggee531 wrote:
Quote:
No longer the case

Copyright protection pretty much always has and always will be provided for creators of original art. It absolutely is the case. Provide a source stating otherwise, or please stop responding about things you have no knowledge of.

He meant that he removed the artwork in question.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:20 pm

anilv wrote:
He meant that he removed the artwork in question.

I see that now. Glad it was remedied.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 pm