Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

Post Substitute for PWI
I need a warp device but don't have a PWI nor will be getting one anytime soon. I'm looking for an alternative that still works and is a lot cheaper. After pulling up the wiki page that lists all warp devices, here is my take on which warp device is best.

-Wrapping paper won't work, because it has a measly 200 distance and a 10 minute recharge time.
-Witch's broomstick won't work, because it has only 500 distance, 5 minute recharge time.
-Hop Drive is effective for traveling but poor for evasive action. 200 distance jump every 5 seconds will not be able to escape high-end DG AI.
-Bimbus3000 may work if the AI does not have ridiculous radar, as 1250 jump distance is decent.
-Gallows Robber is basically a PWI with a long 10 minute recharge time and size 20, so its quite big compared to the others. Use sparingly. Requires 10 in piracy, but that's nothing of an issue.

So its really a toss up between the gallows robber and bimbus3000. I currently own the former but not the latter. Which is more useful overall?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:39 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: P S S Metal
Level: 5363

Post Re: Substitute for PWI
I love Hop Drive, my ships are able to dodge so many bullets with them. Now for more on topic stuff, probably Gallows Robber and use afterburners.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

If you're looking for a substitute for the best possible item, you're going to get sub-par options. That's just how it works.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:26 pm
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

Hop drive does have its uses though, good for rhino and staying out of the way of rhinos sheild sucking aura.

Some of those others should probably be used and immedialty have an afterburner of some type activated after.

Also the pwin is a tech 20 item, i think all of those other items are lower tech.

The mission for the pwi is thankfully split up in several parts, theres no reason why a players cant buy a piece at a time when they can afford to.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:50 pm

urzaserra256 wrote:
Hop drive does have its uses though, good for rhino and staying out of the way of rhinos sheild sucking aura.

Some of those others should probably be used and immedialty have an afterburner of some type activated after.

Also the pwin is a tech 20 item, i think all of those other items are lower tech.

The mission for the pwi is thankfully split up in several parts, theres no reason why a players cant buy a piece at a time when they can afford to.

Hop drive is not very useful when you are trying to warp away from a swarm, such as warping into a DG floor. 5 seconds could result in enough damage being dealt to severely put you to the side.

Tech level is not an issue. How difficult could it possibly be to obtain a PWI (i.e. hardest parts of a mission).

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:35 am
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

Hop drive isnt meant for escape though, its meant for small positional changes.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:45 am

urzaserra256 wrote:
Hop drive isnt meant for escape though, its meant for small positional changes.

So is gallows robber or bimbus3000 the better choice?

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:23 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: P S S Metal
Level: 5363

Depends, Gallows would work well in giant sun galaxies, Bimbus would fail pretty bad at giant sun galaxies. Bimbus would work better for most other ones better though.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:55 pm

634dragon wrote:
Depends, Gallows would work well in giant sun galaxies, Bimbus would fail pretty bad at giant sun galaxies. Bimbus would work better for most other ones better though.

Is it because its smaller and has a shorter cooldown time?

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:14 pm