Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Re: Prawn Nerf
Interesting fact, you nerf tracking and afk MCed snipers won't connect without someone piloting... but then the guys with snipers that will still have 2k+ range *after this nerf* won't be able to run 4 snipers on their own... so can't make that change, because it would actually be effective.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:36 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Hard to keep you happy when you complain we don't nerf endgamers enough (this thread) but we nerf them too much (base gear thread). :lol:

We can throw on -50% tracking as well and test it a bit to see if it works.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:58 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4887

anilv wrote:
Hard to keep you happy when you complain we don't nerf endgamers enough (this thread) but we nerf them too much (base gear thread). :lol:

We're more than willing to touch the Tracking as well.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:59 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

anilv wrote:

Someone doesn't pay attention... if you paid any attention when you read it, I actually stayed pretty close to the point that X gear on all bases allows for more convenient and cheap griefing of new guys by endgamers... I also brought up that the change was only necessary because no one on the admin team had the balls to deal with endgamers griefing new guys incessantly *cough* 13 *cough*, which is what lead to the change. So, nice try but my arguments have been consistent...

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:10 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Anyways, id much rather a resist nerf then range nerf. Or even a tracking nerf i guess.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:20 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

*waves hand*

WHy are we nerfing a perfectly reasonable ship? I am not seeing how it is OP at all. Its tech 21 with 4 aug slots....ok, barring a few VERY hard to get augs (as people have repeatedly pointed out) how is that OP? If the problem is the augs, nerf the augs. If the problem is the 4th slot, remove that and give it some better stats to compensate.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:22 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Tracking nerf seems like an unnecessary annoyance to me. If you Mc you'll be on your snipers active client 90 percent of the time anyway (unless you also Mc a zerk , I suppose)

I'm all for removing the 4th Aug slot as well and giving it good inbuilt mods to compensate.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:41 am
Team: Fireflies
Main: The White Wizard
Level: 4276

heylo wrote:
Tracking nerf seems like an unnecessary annoyance to me. If you Mc you'll be on your snipers active client 90 percent of the time anyway (unless you also Mc a zerk , I suppose)

I'm all for removing the 4th Aug slot as well and giving it good inbuilt mods to compensate.

How about reducing stats on all augs by at least 50% and doubling the aug slots on all ships. The prawn nerf doesn't matter any more, it's an obsolete ship.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:03 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

the white wizard wrote:
heylo wrote:

How about reducing stats on all augs by at least 50% and doubling the aug slots on all ships. The prawn nerf doesn't matter any more, it's an obsolete ship.

How about no. It's still the best sniper (and dps zerk) ship ingame, how is it obsolete?

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:28 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I feel -50% would be too devastating for people with 3 CaL, dwatt or even 2 CaL, emp, dwatt. Personally I'd rather see multiple small nerfs slowly instead of one major nerf.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:00 am
Team: Fireflies
Main: The White Wizard
Level: 4276

heylo wrote:
the white wizard wrote:
heylo wrote:

How about no. It's still the best sniper (and dps zerk) ship ingame, how is it obsolete?

Ofcourse.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:45 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

I still find it funny that we all know the issue is the DPS, but for some reason the only nerf that is going to happen in the last 5 years is a range nerf.

10/10

Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:31 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4887

I don't actually have a problem with the DPS you can do in a Prawn tbh. The Prawn tends to be nuts because people who want to invest in a Sniper have invested in the Prawn and have tons of mods and expensive augs. If they were to take those augs and mods and the time they spent on it into another ship they would do a relative amount of damage (I think me and DS worked out the Delquadrikamdon that I did as somewhere between 70%-80% of a Prawn), but they wouldn't have as much range.

I honestly don't think doing a ton of DPS is a problem, and I don't think the development team as a whole has a problem with players doing a lot of DPS. The problem is that the DPS augs most favored tend to come with a very hefty amount of range, 3 aug heavy fighters already have a considerable amount of range. When the Prawn gets to throw another augmenter in there, players will generally put another one of those DPS augs on it. And, lo and behold, those high DPS augs tend to have a decent amount of range on them.

Range actually does affect DPS, albeit indirectly, when it comes to DPS uptime. Tracking has the same effect. You all know that your DPS doesn't mean anything if your weapons aren't hitting the target, that's why seasoned players tend to use weapons that have good range and tracking (Or compensate by augging for it).

TL;DR: I think nerfing the range on the Prawn pushes the Prawn away from an all purpose ship and towards a heavy weapons platform, meaning that you pick the Prawn to do as much damage as you can to anything that gets close enough to you. This leaves room for ships and setups that want to take advantage of more range and (maybe) more tracking, especially when a player doesn't care about cranking out the highest DPS they can do at that tier. That really matters against more nimble/speedy targets.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:11 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

50% is too much. Id be much more in favor of a -5% resist nerf and -20% range nerf or something like that.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:34 pm
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

MasterTrader wrote:
I don't actually have a problem with the DPS you can do in a Prawn tbh. The Prawn tends to be nuts because people who want to invest in a Sniper have invested in the Prawn and have tons of mods and expensive augs. If they were to take those augs and mods and the time they spent on it into another ship they would do a relative amount of damage (I think me and DS worked out the Delquadrikamdon that I did as somewhere between 70%-80% of a Prawn), but they wouldn't have as much range.

I honestly don't think doing a ton of DPS is a problem, and I don't think the development team as a whole has a problem with players doing a lot of DPS. The problem is that the DPS augs most favored tend to come with a very hefty amount of range, 3 aug heavy fighters already have a considerable amount of range. When the Prawn gets to throw another augmenter in there, players will generally put another one of those DPS augs on it. And, lo and behold, those high DPS augs tend to have a decent amount of range on them.

Range actually does affect DPS, albeit indirectly, when it comes to DPS uptime. Tracking has the same effect. You all know that your DPS doesn't mean anything if your weapons aren't hitting the target, that's why seasoned players tend to use weapons that have good range and tracking (Or compensate by augging for it).

TL;DR: I think nerfing the range on the Prawn pushes the Prawn away from an all purpose ship and towards a heavy weapons platform, meaning that you pick the Prawn to do as much damage as you can to anything that gets close enough to you. This leaves room for ships and setups that want to take advantage of more range and (maybe) more tracking, especially when a player doesn't care about cranking out the highest DPS they can do at that tier. That really matters against more nimble/speedy targets.

Didn't we all agree that the amount of DPS you need to do currently to kill anything is stupid and that the MF meta needed to be changed? And weren't you in favour of rebalancing Olympus, Subspace and PPS to have less shields and be more interesting than to sit still for an hour holding down space bar.

Seriously, the DPS a prawn sniper does regardless of the cost invested in it is ridiculous for this game and it's annoying that content is being balanced around that.

Also, the fuck is a range nerf going to do? Engineers still carry tractors.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next