Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you like to start again with a lot of new/old faces?
Yes to new server 54%  54%  [ 29 ]
No to new server 46%  46%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 54

Main: The Shaft of Punishment
Level: 0

Post Re: New server for steam release
redalert150 wrote:
Quote:
Inc hotrod+ with bule insanity when a HM ShM healing them crushing noobs.

Havent played in forever confirmed :lol:

Well, to be honest, it looks like the last time he played was when he and RobertsRacer stripped Nukka's account and then "quit" to escape punishment. I'm not sure how that character got on Merchant Consortium with a reputation that goes lower than Lemon without any substantial team to back him up.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Rhys
Level: 3919

MasterTrader wrote:
anilv wrote:
They should reset EVE every month because it's not fair for noobs.

EVE has catchup mechanics, items and ships (and neural implants) are constantly cycled out of the economy, one person in a really powerful and expensive ship with powerful and expensive gear cannot wipe out a squad of less wealthy players, and bases in EVE are really tanky and require a whole fleet to take down and go into a lockdown period where they can't be damaged for a period of time based on the amount of a certain type of resource they have. Oh, and you lose everything but your character and skills when you die.

I don't think EVE needs resets because they technically have a mini reset every time a player/squad/corporation/alliance gets destroyed.

I also do not think the game is as easy as people are saying it is for end gamers, even if you have all the game knowledge in the world. Organizing people to do this stuff would still be very hard.

I'd lose all my billions and the tons of stuff I had stored up... but hey.

Having played EVE for a few years, the above is mostly bullshit.

The majority of items (modules, weapons, skills, etc.) in EVE that are commonly used today have been around for years, if not a decade. In some ways that game is more tough on noobs than SS ever will be. The skill point gap that would never converge - until recently, using a very expensive method. New tiers of modules, ships, implants are only marginally more powerful, meaning stacking assets have just a good a life-time value in EVE as there is in SS. Fleet setups for massive territorial battles has barely changed year from year, only the mechanics in terms of how to claim territory has.

To the point of losing stuff in fights, that might be the only thing worth taking away from EVE. Although, the point of losing "All" your stuff on death is quite misleading. Most nullsec players would barely be putting up a couple % of assets, if not a fraction of a % in fights, depending on the type of battle. You'd be a fucking noob and an idiot to put everything in the ship you take into combat, that's like fighting in your sing sphere.

The only true catch-up games would be MMOPRGs like WoW, where old gear just becomes useless, since new content completely replaces old content (full sets for each class) with power spikes of 20-50% per tier, sometimes exponentially more powerful by expansion, and they pretty much hand out welfare gear for noobs to get started. Personally, I prefer a SS type game over WoW, which is why I'm here and not there currently. As well, I don't think the development resources available in SS would currently be able to replicate this WoW type of content release.

If EVE then is the only comparable flagship game, I'd say we'd be in a good spot.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:07 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Alternate steam convo :

Churchill: this game is full of rich end gamers turn back now
Newbie: oh really how many
Churchill: 5
Newbie : orly who cares 2k just joined

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

sabre198 wrote:
Alternate steam convo :

Churchill: this game is full of rich end gamers turn back now
Newbie: oh really how many
Churchill: 5
Newbie : orly who cares 2k just joined

/like

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:43 am
Main: colin22
Level: 3140

Being someone who has been around ALONG time i can honestly say ss is screwed. The issue here is the old long term players that Jeff screwed up and listened to and let them ruin his game. Look at the one that is currently in a high place of power as a admin who started banning selling accounts after he sold his and the person refused to sell it back to him.

This game started going downhill the second Jeff started letting players be devs/admins after atlum/code hearder left. Star sonata used to be such a great game and its gone downhill so badly. Letting players of your game decide anything is like having business owners on a city council. Its a conflict of interests and no player can make a decision in the best interests of star sonata when they have their own agenda namely a player who made allot of RL cash off selling thing's in star sonata.

Star sonata need's a influx of new players and that;s never going to happen with the current ones refusing to let change happen.I don't know about anyone else but i would be willing to pay double for subs on a new server with a fresh start that's not bugged to hell and back. where exploiting bugs is punished with a lifetime ban unlike now were you wont ban your longtime players out of fear of loosing subs. That's another subject for another topic

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:13 pm
Main: Chrono Warrior
Level: 5817

colin2285 wrote:
Being someone who has been around ALONG time i can honestly say ss is screwed. The issue here is the old long term players that Jeff screwed up and listened to and let them ruin his game. Look at the one that is currently in a high place of power as a admin who started banning selling accounts after he sold his and the person refused to sell it back to him.

Every couple months someone jumps on the forums and says something just like this. I have yet to see it happen, furthermore, I have yet to see it come close to happening. Sure there are lulls in activity, but in the last few weeks I've seen more older players returning and more newer players joining than I ever have before... and the game isn't even out on Steam yet.

colin2285 wrote:
This game started going downhill the second Jeff started letting players be devs/admins after atlum/code hearder left. Star sonata used to be such a great game and its gone downhill so badly. Letting players of your game decide anything is like having business owners on a city council. Its a conflict of interests and no player can make a decision in the best interests of star sonata when they have their own agenda namely a player who made allot of RL cash off selling thing's in star sonata.

I do agree about the conflict of interest to a degree, however, the current devs have done a good job at attempting to provide transparency with the playerbase. Has it always been perfect? Of course not, but if we expect perfection, we will always be disappointed. I continue to believe Star Sonata is still a great game, there is no other game like it. I for one will attempt to continue to play it and enjoy it for as long as I can, (As long as the server isn't wiped anyway...) regardless of the fact of whether or not I disagree with the Developer Team's policies.

colin2285 wrote:
Star sonata need's a influx of new players and that;s never going to happen with the current ones refusing to let change happen.

Excuse me but, where have you been? There has been more changes to the mechanics of the game in the last 3 or 4 unis than there has been ever before in the history of the game. Not only that, but the majority of these mechanics were changed or put in place so that when new players DO come, that it wouldn't be insanely difficult for them to progress. I'm sorry, but if you do not recognize the changes that have been added, and the nature of their implementation, then you have lost touch with the pulse of the game. Furthermore, we are very close to a steam release, so I don't know where you got the notion that an influx of players isn't close on the horizon.

colin2285 wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but i would be willing to pay double for subs on a new server with a fresh start that's not bugged to hell and back. where exploiting bugs is punished with a lifetime ban unlike now were you wont ban your longtime players out of fear of loosing subs. That's another subject for another topic

Personally, I am against a server reset, chiefly because I have worked hard to obtain all that I know own in the game, and seeing it all wiped away would make me want to quit. I also know that I am not alone in this opinion, a great many players feel the same way. That's not to say that it would necessarily be a bad thing, however, I think if it were done at this stage of the game, so many people would quit, that the game may not be able to rebound. As for the subject of bans, that is another issue entirely, and, like you said, it should be discussed in another topic.

./end rant

- Chrono

Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:26 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Rounder wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:
anilv wrote:
They should reset EVE every month because it's not fair for noobs.

EVE has catchup mechanics, items and ships (and neural implants) are constantly cycled out of the economy, one person in a really powerful and expensive ship with powerful and expensive gear cannot wipe out a squad of less wealthy players, and bases in EVE are really tanky and require a whole fleet to take down and go into a lockdown period where they can't be damaged for a period of time based on the amount of a certain type of resource they have. Oh, and you lose everything but your character and skills when you die.

I don't think EVE needs resets because they technically have a mini reset every time a player/squad/corporation/alliance gets destroyed.

I also do not think the game is as easy as people are saying it is for end gamers, even if you have all the game knowledge in the world. Organizing people to do this stuff would still be very hard.

I'd lose all my billions and the tons of stuff I had stored up... but hey.

Having played EVE for a few years, the above is mostly bullshit.

The majority of items (modules, weapons, skills, etc.) in EVE that are commonly used today have been around for years, if not a decade. In some ways that game is more tough on noobs than SS ever will be. The skill point gap that would never converge - until recently, using a very expensive method. New tiers of modules, ships, implants are only marginally more powerful, meaning stacking assets have just a good a life-time value in EVE as there is in SS. Fleet setups for massive territorial battles has barely changed year from year, only the mechanics in terms of how to claim territory has.

To the point of losing stuff in fights, that might be the only thing worth taking away from EVE. Although, the point of losing "All" your stuff on death is quite misleading. Most nullsec players would barely be putting up a couple % of assets, if not a fraction of a % in fights, depending on the type of battle. You'd be a fucking noob and an idiot to put everything in the ship you take into combat, that's like fighting in your sing sphere.

The only true catch-up games would be MMOPRGs like WoW, where old gear just becomes useless, since new content completely replaces old content (full sets for each class) with power spikes of 20-50% per tier, sometimes exponentially more powerful by expansion, and they pretty much hand out welfare gear for noobs to get started. Personally, I prefer a SS type game over WoW, which is why I'm here and not there currently. As well, I don't think the development resources available in SS would currently be able to replicate this WoW type of content release.

If EVE then is the only comparable flagship game, I'd say we'd be in a good spot.

If what you say is true then I stand corrected. The people I have spoken to who play EVE say that the end game players there have to be careful about fielding the most powerful stuff because if they do then they can lose it, so you don't see people getting ROFLstomped by the best gear in the game, more often its because the person fighting them knows what they're doing. I will admit that the catch up mechanics I was talking about were more about being able to purchase skill points from other players, but skills in SS aren't much of an issue anyway.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:40 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: --XrAzEr--
Level: 3812

I think you guys got my post all wrong, I wanted a separate server, resetting the current server would be pretty bad because people with 10+ years would lose everything they've worked for. The reason I wanted a separate server that started from scratch and only had content up to UZ at the time so people that are very knowledgeable wont have massive gaps between other players and it gives new players time to learn about new content before it comes out and how to play the game properly.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:52 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

You know a temp new uni would be really cool, like a month in a half new uni where everyone starts at lvl 0. If you reach certain benchmarks you get something cool to take on current server. That would be a baby step into what you guys are suggesting.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

redalert150 wrote:
You know a temp new uni would be really cool, like a month in a half new uni where everyone starts at lvl 0. If you reach certain benchmarks you get something cool to take on current server. That would be a baby step into what you guys are suggesting.

I like that idea.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:31 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

redalert150 wrote:

Yeah, so a periodically resetting event server. I feel it could be looked into if we had a bigger player base.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:06 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: --XrAzEr--
Level: 3812

anilv wrote:
redalert150 wrote:

Yeah, so a periodically resetting event server. I feel it could be looked into if we had a bigger player base.

Steam will most likely give us a bigger player base, The problem is, showing them all the great stuff SS has to offer without intimidating them and scaring them off.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:47 am
Main: Taylor Swift
Level: 3894

I think we could also benefit from a system where older players are incentivized to interact with new players (Note: but not to just give them good stuff)

I would like to think the line "excuse me but can I get a shitpost?" is fairly polite.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:27 am
Team: Merchant Waffen Division
Main: Schuldiner
Level: 3912

And if everything goes well, a legacy pre-21 c1 server.

:twisted:

I want to believe!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:15 am
Team: MELANIA TRUMP
Main: Renegonz
Level: 1963

I would love this!

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:59 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next