Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Post C2 server & client update May 24
Updated the C2 test server and the client. Changes you'll see:

Weapons are now charged ahead of time like drones or super items before they're fired, with the special rule that no weapon can be fired unless all equipped weapons are fully charged. In practice things work the same as before, except that as you hold down the fire key, you'll see the constant draw from your energy based on the weapon's energy per second usage. If you are out of energy and are trying to use more energy that you produce, your rate of fire will now be reduced by the same percentage as everything else that's trying to charge, whereas before, if you were out of energy, you just wouldn't be able to fire at all. Basically, everything is a bit smoother, and things work better when you're low on juice.

There are also some awesome nebulas around if you can find them. They are randomly created in the universe generation code, and we'll be working to improve them even more in the future.

There are some improved tooltips on the top bar.

Particle system improvements.

Your slave aliases are now displayed properly.

Fixed the backgrounds of a bunch of the dialogs.

Tue May 24, 2011 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Team: Aidelon
Main: Diabolus
Level: 2300

Location: Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, Milky way, Universe, Admins computer
Post Re: C2 server & client update May 24
So you now no longer need the bank to fire a v2 from a seer? Sexy.

Tue May 24, 2011 2:43 am
Team: Psionic Corps
Main: L0L
Level: 1061

I intensley dislike weapon charging. Having to hotkey my weapons...
I think I'd quit if this was kept in, honestly.

Kinky? Lets not go there...

I'm willing to go there ;)

blacker2359 wrote:
First thought: L0L playing C2? HOLY SHIT IT CAME OUT?!?
10 second later: I'm gonna kill L0L.

Tue May 24, 2011 5:55 am
Profile YIM WWW

JeffL wrote:
Weapons are now charged ahead of time (...) they're fired, with the special rule that no weapon can be fired unless all equipped weapons are fully charged..

Does that mean I press the space bar on my Seer then wait 6 sec for the PWAG to charge up and then shoot?
Also If I have a Lion V2 equipped along with a RoP I need to wait 12,5sec till the RoP starts shooting - this would be a long time in PvP.

As this can't be can you please change your description in your post.
EDIT: Maybe just put in that they start charging once you equip them on an AI station/base.

As you can see in the post above mine your explanation is easily misleading.

Tue May 24, 2011 6:10 am
Main: Beelz
Level: 1

remove me from the C2 list please Jeff. I will no longer be playing star sonata when C2 comes out after testing this.

Tue May 24, 2011 6:27 am
Team: Traders
Main: playerboy345
Level: 3084

I'm sorry Jeff, I really love you for making C1 as it is now (with a few exceptions) but you are taking the wrong turn with C2, alot of player posts have already shown you this can't you see that?

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Tue May 24, 2011 6:47 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

I'll be quitting at reset then.

Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 am
Main: Gamepro07
Level: 2040

I feel the smoke spins too much, when it should be expanding from a smaller beginning to fade out more.

Can we get the name of a galaxy with one of these nebulas? Not sure how often they come by, or where they are, but if we can test and see them that'd be cool.

Not sure if you fixed backgrounds entirely, I mean, background colors are still directly linked with what galaxy you entered another one from. If I enter Sol from one galaxy, background of Sol is yellow/green. If I enter Sol from a different galaxy, background is Blue/Green. Bug reproducable with all galaxies. I think you know this one though, eh?

Also I have no comments regarding the weapon charging system.

Tue May 24, 2011 8:19 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Chemo
Level: 3621

I think you guys are getting into Hysterics about the whole word charging. Basically he is saying smooth energy use just like smooth energy regen when that was added. The EPS used per sec is a nice clean number instead of in chunks, I seen this coming long ago.

Utumno wrote:
JeffL wrote:
Weapons are now charged ahead of time (...) they're fired, with the special rule that no weapon can be fired unless all equipped weapons are fully charged..

Does that mean I press the space bar on my Seer then wait 6 sec for the PWAG to charge up and then shoot?
Also If I have a Lion V2 equipped along with a RoP I need to wait 12,5sec till the RoP starts shooting - this would be a long time in PvP.

As this can't be can you please change your description in your post.
EDIT: Maybe just put in that they start charging once you equip them on an AI station/base.

As you can see in the post above mine your explanation is easily misleading.

If you fired your v2 then weapon swap on c1 you already are not allowed to fire your RoP. That is how it's been for a very long time.

Lolwut? wrote:
I intensley dislike weapon charging. Having to hotkey my weapons...
I think I'd quit if this was kept in, honestly.

I think you are trolling, your weapons are already hotkeyed to the 'E' key.

EDIT: Jeff please reword your post to remove scary controversial words.

Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Team: Traders
Main: Burnout3
Level: 4963

So under the old elec system I could easily see the difference between my panels and my base elec regen. I can no longer do that under the new system.

Under the old PWI system I could use a PWI for short hops while shooting at AI. I can no longer do that with the new charging system.

Now how will this weapon system work with recoil and rof augs?

Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Weapon charging works 99% the same as firing weapons currently work in C1. You don't have to hotkey weapons, you still change using the 'e' key. (Though you can hotkey weapons if you want, which just switches to that particular weapon.) The difference is instead of using a chunk of E energy when you fire and having to wait a time of T to fire again based on the weapon recoil, after firing, it takes time T to charge the weapon back up, using E/T energy per second. The time it takes to charge up is just the weapon recoil, so it's the same as c1. Firing augs make weapons charge faster.

So there are 5 specific minor differences you'll see:

1) You don't need a particular amount of bank to fire a weapon. I think this is a good thing. Since weapon recoils are so fast, you will still want a nice sized bank in order to sustain fire.

2) When equipping a new weapon at an AI base, you have to wait at least the recoil time in order to fire as that weapon charges for the first time. This is usually less than a second. I think this is not a big deal either way. Maybe slightly annoying, but also a bit more "realistic" as you charge up the weapon bank.

3) If you're "out of energy", meaning you are charging some, but using more with none in reserve, you can now actually fire, where in c1, you can't fire at all when out of energy. This is definitely a good thing.

4) Energy goes up and down smoothly without being taken in big chunks. This is much more lag-proof, and also more useful to the player, as you can see more clearly what holding down the space bar is doing to your overall energy.

5) You can always fire when your weapons are charged. There's never the case where you think you can fire, you hit the space bar, and it turns out you can't. In c1, you can hit the space bar and then not fire because you don't have enough energy. This is definitely an improvement, since the player wants to know what exactly he can do, not have to guess.

Tue May 24, 2011 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Dev Team
Main: Xipe Totec
Level: 2

to clearify you do not need to hotkey your weapon in order to charge it, all equiped items charge automatically. It will be even easier to see your elec and shield charging in c2.

Last edited by Feathers on Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 am
Dev Team
Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

Spartan117 wrote:
Under the old PWI system I could use a PWI for short hops while shooting at AI. I can no longer do that with the new charging system.

Perhaps we should make an exception for PWI type items, where you can use it when it is only partially charged?

Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

HAL wrote:
Spartan117 wrote:

Perhaps we should make an exception for PWI type items, where you can use it when it is only partially charged?

So if 30 seconds elapse before you manage to charge it all the way (due to running out of energy), you can use it to make a smaller jump, with distance based on how much it's charged so far. This should have been implemented from the start to stay faithful to the original function of the device. A big "yes" from me.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 am
Team: Technomages
Main: Aku'Qa
Level: 4289

HAL wrote:
Spartan117 wrote:

The same should go for scanners, your removing some difficulty from the game when you can pre-charge them, which is in my opinion a bad thing. Same thing goes for not having to get a big bank to fire a V2 anymore. It just makes it all easier, which is not good in my opinion.

Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 am