Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

Post suggestion: option: camera autocentre behind ship
basically, meant to allow players to play with the camera autocentred on them, from behind

why? because it looks cool

and its a feature players will be able to use from the second they start playing SS

wont be very useful for ships with fast turning, but would create a more immersive enviroment ingame, and would make it easier for players to differentiate their own ship, and tell where they're facing

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:51 am
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Post Re: suggestion: option: camera autocentre behind ship
landswimmer wrote:
basically, meant to allow players to play with the camera autocentred on them, from behind

why? because it looks cool

and its a feature players will be able to use from the second they start playing SS

wont be very useful for ships with fast turning, but would create a more immersive enviroment ingame, and would make it easier for players to differentiate their own ship, and tell where they're facing

/signed

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:26 am
Dev Team
Main: Xipe Totec
Level: 2

The game is not designed to be played in that manner, and its pretty damn impossible to fly at high tilts as is as well as it looks pretty crappy. This is a 2.5D game, its like a doom, but you dont have floor or ceiling so everything is floating on a single plane.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:32 am
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

*makes an agility-augged massif 3*

lol, vertigo.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:19 pm
Main: Jagur4
Level: 1458

I think this was mentioned a long time ago and Jeff said no anyway, as it would make navigating galaxies too hard when the relative orientation kept changing.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:54 pm
Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Copernicus
Level: 895

I'm against. It's simpler to navigate the 2D playing area when North, South, East, and West are absolute. You could add a compass to the game, but I still think it's a hassle with too little payoff.

F2P: Colonel Mustang/Riza Hawkeye/Jean Havoc/Heymans Breda/Kain Fuery

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:03 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Yeah, it's just not what this game is. A following camera is more appropriate for a pure action game, but here we have slaves, drones, bases, etc that you need to manage, and without a fixed camera angle, that becomes very difficult, not to mention navigation.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:52 am
Profile WWW
Team: Seele Piraten
Main: Klestiko
Level: 1994

Aye but why not have the option? As a seer I would love to actually like, sneak up behind someone.. :P

Edit:

Plus Snipers would be able to look way down the battlefield and watch their rounds go towards there enemies. It would look cool, and I don't see why the option shouldn't be there.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:58 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I would definitely quit SS if this were a forced change, which is to say that I would never ever use it if it were an option. I imagine it's not even possible with the current engine, which would be a compelling reason not to implement it in itself...

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:21 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Feathers wrote:
The game is not designed to be played in that manner, and its pretty damn impossible to fly at high tilts as is as well as it looks pretty crappy. This is a 2.5D game, its like a doom, but you dont have floor or ceiling so everything is floating on a single plane.

I play a 2.5D game that allows me to put the camera in this position. It doesn't look good, though. Putting the camera back to show a large map view is more efficient(and I actually get to see the bugger chasing me).

But yes, it would be good for roleplaying-type of players. Get to be the warrior by looking through his eyes-feeling...or something like that.

But, it was suggested as an OPTION. You don't have to flip that switch if you don't want to, enk. Why are you making it seem like YOU HAVE TO when YOU DONT HAVE TO.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

OK, I tried it. I think the biggest problem is that ships turn so quickly in SS. I get really, really dizzy. It seems really hard to fly around, since I'm not used to it -- the whole drifting in the direction your momentum is taking you seems really counter-intuitive with a chase camera. Also, clicking on things like space bases or enemies to target them as you are turning is impossible.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team

Was going to make a vid, but I think I'm going to vomit from the motion sickness...

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
JeffL wrote:
Was going to make a vid, but I think I'm going to vomit from the motion sickness...

Now I NEED to see a vid :D

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:38 am
Team: Seele Piraten
Main: Si's_Yes_Man
Level: 2275

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
JeffL wrote:

Now I NEED to see a vid :D

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:14 am
Main: Earthforce Commander
Level: 963

How about you have a slight delay on the camera turning, like 150 ms, and give it a max 'turn' rate that currently equals the amount you can move the camera so that it doesn't fly super fast.

Also, instead of following the back of the ship, make it follow the direction of the ship, if you know what I mean. The ship could be facing North but traveling 500 speed South, so the camera would point south.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:00 pm
Profile YIM