over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Ambient lighting, again
I should not have to spin around frantically to detect where my own ship is. If you are flying a Paximinus in a galaxy with no nebulas and no bright suns, you cannot see your own ship. This is just unacceptable. You may disagree with my belief that ambient light should be ramped up across the board, but at least you must agree that you should be able to see your own ship at all times.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:48 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

Post Re: Ambient lighting, again
Yes. I have noticed that it is really hard to see ships in c2.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

Yes, very annoying especially if you have a ship that is naturally hard to see, and even moreso if your engine is also hard to see!

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:05 pm
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3253

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
I actually laughed pretty hard the first time I jumped into lyceum with my pax. It's a pretty weird and somewhat goofy thing. But yeah, I agree, ambient lighting should go up. Although one thing I noticed is glows dont appear to give light to your ship; if we were in actual reality, which it appears the admins have set the ambient lighting to, the glows would cast at least some light over the hull of our ship.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:19 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Doesn't the Paximinus have a glow on it that you can see?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Evo
Level: 34

Never mind the glow, c2 is just way too dark.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:20 pm
over 9000!

JeffL wrote:
Doesn't the Paximinus have a glow on it that you can see?

I don't see any glows on Low Graphics settings. My ship is a thin black sliver that is hardly lit up even by strong sunlight, unless I'm in the act of banking.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

Excluding the UI bars, C2 as a whole is a tad too dark. Too much contrast between lightest and darkest.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Main: VIP-Shm
Level: 25

I actualy hade to use AP thrue any no sun gal just becouse i couldent reflect the light and see where i was heading in paximinus

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:31 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

oh wow, finally played c2. got my char up to lvl 5ish and damn... my eyes are falling out. this is entirely too dark...

-could hardly see my main ship
-had to fire to know which way i was pointed
-the upper right hand screen selected thing sucks, a faded image in a pastel background, lol, ftl
-all ships need to be better illuminated, debris does, etc, work on contrast cause it sucks atm.
-failsauce. you gave me eyestrain.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:07 am
Team: Beta Frequency
Main: Discharge
Level: 2691

Play around on test.starsonata.com port 3032 with your current C1 accounts and see. I did not have many issues with the darkness, but some places were a bit too over the edge for sure.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:17 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

For those complaining about not being able to see their ship or what direction they are pointing in, can you tell me for which ships? I am trying to add glowmaps to all ships eventually to alleviate this problem.

I think we will also add some kind of ambient lighting boost option for those who want it.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!

JeffL wrote:
For those complaining about not being able to see their ship or what direction they are pointing in, can you tell me for which ships? I am trying to add glowmaps to all ships eventually to alleviate this problem.

I think we will also add some kind of ambient lighting boost option for those who want it.

Once again, the response is much appreciated. My specific instances are:

Zebucart(+) and Paximinus against darkish backgrounds (especially with no nebulas). LOW graphics settings so I don't get the nice little cockpit glow on the Zebu.

Also,thank you thank you thank you. Being able to boost ambient lighting will be hugely appreciated by at least 11 players (judging by my other thread on the matter). :)

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 pm
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3253

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
anilv wrote:
JeffL wrote:

Once again, the response is much appreciated. My specific instances are:

Zebucart(+) and Paximinus against darkish backgrounds (especially with no nebulas). LOW graphics settings so I don't get the nice little cockpit glow on the Zebu.

Also,thank you thank you thank you. Being able to boost ambient lighting will be hugely appreciated by at least 11 players (judging by my other thread on the matter). :)

Any of the pax ships. Easy. Also, Jeff, any ideas on my idea of having glowmaps actually cast light onto your ship?

Oh yeah, and one more thing.

WHERE THE FUCK DID THE COLORED PAX GLOWS GO

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:00 pm
Main: VIP-Shm
Level: 25

JeffL wrote:

Turtle, Tort, EFF, Aether/Underscout, well... many ships and if u just got 1 dark sun in the gal u cant see shit even if ur siting on it

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:12 pm