Team: Traders
Main: Bonehead
Level: 2447

Post Bad concepts
1) Using a semi 3D engine. You're still on a 2D surface and doing silly things to simulate 3D, like using stars and planets as speed bumps... as pilots we'd NEVER fly into these things... we'd fly around them in LONG sweeping arcs.

2) You still need to loose the silly ass Blow Back effect. It is totally unreal and majorly detracts from game play. No intelligent being would pilot a ship that is going to go super nova 100% of time it is disabled. None of the ships have enough atmosphere to create the effect you've created. See 6 below.

3) APing needs a lot of tweeking.

4) Trade Slave AP need a much better guidance system... slaves should intercept their targets not play catch up. (If SS devs had programmed the Apollo missions the Lunar orbiters/landers would still be playing catch-up... except for a few little items... AIR, FOOD, WATER, FUEL)

5) Taking damage from stars... would NEVER happen... again we pilots fly LONG sweeping arcs around them and are never closer that a few million miles/KM. The concept that we'd fly thru a star or close enough to take damage is ludicrous. (Ships don't collide with each other, planets, moons or asteroids ... but stars... REALLY??)

6) Distances... UGH! SS really needs to sort this out and apply a realistic distance system... the idea that everything is measured in pixels (where pixels have no real meaning as far as distance goes) ... well it just SUX BIG TIME.

7) Because SS has no "Z" axis measurement you've created problems for 1, & 5 above that should never exist.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:18 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Bad concepts
Why did you come back?

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:22 am
Team: Traders
Main: Bonehead
Level: 2447

ELITE wrote:
Why did you come back?

If you have nothing worthwhile to add why not shove cake in your cake hole, instead of making worthless comments.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 am
Main: Beelz
Level: 1

Bonecrusher wrote:
1) Using a semi 3D engine. You're still on a 2D surface and doing silly things to simulate 3D, like using stars and planets as speed bumps... as pilots we'd NEVER fly into these things... we'd fly around them in LONG sweeping arcs.

2) You still need to loose the silly ass Blow Back effect. It is totally unreal and majorly detracts from game play. No intelligent being would pilot a ship that is going to go super nova 100% of time it is disabled. None of the ships have enough atmosphere to create the effect you've created. See 6 below.

3) APing needs a lot of tweeking.

4) Trade Slave AP need a much better guidance system... slaves should intercept their targets not play catch up. (If SS devs had programmed the Apollo missions the Lunar orbiters/landers would still be playing catch-up... except for a few little items... AIR, FOOD, WATER, FUEL)

5) Taking damage from stars... would NEVER happen... again we pilots fly LONG sweeping arcs around them and are never closer that a few million miles/KM. The concept that we'd fly thru a star or close enough to take damage is ludicrous. (Ships don't collide with each other, planets, moons or asteroids ... but stars... REALLY??)

6) Distances... UGH! SS really needs to sort this out and apply a realistic distance system... the idea that everything is measured in pixels (where pixels have no real meaning as far as distance goes) ... well it just SUX BIG TIME.

7) Because SS has no "Z" axis measurement you've created problems for 1, & 5 above that should never exist.

Knew you couldn't shut up about this forever =P

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 am
Main: Obesity
Level: 2249

Note to 5: We dont collide with the stars, we just get close enough that our ships gets damaged from radiation and heat (i guess) :P

The Voomy One wrote:
You gotta be shitting me >_<

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:02 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

On a related note, I have noticed a sharp increase of damaging stars. It's annoying.

The entire z-axis thing is just... odd. Speed bump planets really hurt immersion. And trying to figure out how bullets collide with planets and suns is confusing at best.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

They aren't really speed bumps; your horizontal speed stays the same while you traverse objects, while your vertical speed increases and decreases accordingly.

Maybe it would be better for immersion if your horizontal speed actually did decrease when traveling up and down the Z axis (that is, if your total speed in 3D stayed constant).

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Like I said before ALL PLANETS, SUNS, MOONS should be below the players z axis!

You'll think they'll listen or even attempt to do this? no

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Markoz wrote:
Like I said before ALL PLANETS, SUNS, MOONS should be below the players z axis!

You'll think they'll listen or even attempt to do this? no
Even if they were halfway submerged, it would help relieve the jarring effect on immersion. The only problem I see is bullets hitting planets/moons/suns would no longer make any sense. This is where the 2.5D thing causes problems.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

IMO, planets, moons, roids, and suns should act as physical objects, with larger graphical and orbital sizes. Roids stay small and numerous.

Physical as if you run into a planet fast enough, you bounce off the atmosphere/surface. You could use them as cover, and imo, remove the ethrealness from eth weapons, beefing stats to compensate.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:37 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
IMO, planets, moons, roids, and suns should act as physical objects, with larger graphical and orbital sizes. Roids stay small and numerous.

Physical as if you run into a planet fast enough, you bounce off the atmosphere/surface. You could use them as cover, and imo, remove the ethrealness from eth weapons, beefing stats to compensate.

Also from before suggested all non ethereal weapons would be automatically attracted to the planets gravity causing the same effect. Of course this will be ignored.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

My only dislike is that ships go up and down over solar bodies and don't pitch at all. Which makes the whole motion rather, odd. It's probably worse on Speed Demons.

Concussions aren't going, they're too useful, you have the + inertia dampening capacitors, use them.

The new AP code is, well... New it'll be improved, but priorities right now lay with getting the clients to work for people they don't, and fixing things that cause crashes.

I don't see why these 'flying through suns' are only problems now, when in C1 everything was on the same plane. If we sink solar bodies, docking and building bases will be really weird. This could lead to full 3D maybe in the future (no idea, not a programmer). Although that could be really sketchy for Speed Demons. :P

Support

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Bases could be right below the field of play. It looks odd when a ship can fly right through a base. But if it were to just fly over the base and scratch the paint off, it wouldn't be too bad.

bageese wrote:

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

The problem with that is due to how its coded, we can't fly over bases and have bases fly over planets or something like that, so it's one or the other (again, not a programmer, don't really know).

It's hard to make a system much better than the current one (without some tweaks the current one of course), without going back to 2D or going full 3D.

Support

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Bases going over planets is even worse! Just code the gal generator to never put an ai base where a planet will orbit into it. I'm not sure what to do with playerbases in that regard, but they shouldn't play keep away when a planet comes near.

bageese wrote:

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:17 pm
Profile WWW