Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Sigma
Level: 4061

Post Re: Balance Sheets
trevor54 wrote:
Things were more balanced without the sheets, this game is becoming a joke, and you will likely be seeing my near a dozen accounts go unsubbed if you don't figure your stuff out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB1DdtdU ... re=related

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:00 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

trevor54 wrote:
Asmodeaan wrote:
I'd have to agree that it seems very likely recent items being made slightly broken or completely broken outright would be caused by the devmins being quite out of touch with the current state of gameplay. But this leaves very little room for future improvement that i can see. But really admins? an energy with 651 regen and -14% elec tempering? how did you NOT think that was broken?

And I wasn't even thinking about that one! How about the wyrm which on a level 350 character does over 100k PER SHOT! This character has no class skills and very low AT. You could slave these things with full Slave tweaking and get the same result.

Now at what point did a LF at tech 16 with massively broken super with 4 augs slots make sense?

that and the heat resits also, lol. 85% heat resits? guess who takes his lf t16 wyrm to cpt kidd? rofl. it's broken as hell.

plus is so ez to make i've whipped up 5 already.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:08 pm
Main: KC trades
Level: 5

Werwolfe Bite: t15 +50% shield bank & +15% speed for 300 sec
200 elec used, size 1 weight 10
Zombie Bite: T20 +50% shield bank & -10% speed,+7,5%vurnability
200 elec used, size 1 weight 10

Hello Balaaaancesheeeet ??? Whereeee aaarrrree youuu

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:11 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

To take what goett was saying one step further, a huge problem with the whole idea of balance sheets is that they completely miss the nuance of combining items. Five average-ranking pieces of gear can synergize into an overpowered setup, while a setup full of highly-ranked gear may fail because of one or two crucial missing stats.

This is not to say that we need a whole new method of rating items, but that relying solely on the balance sheets is never going to work.

Blue Dwarf: A weapon like the Caduceus or Narwhal Horn may not stack up against Heph Blazing Hammer in DPS, but if you stop to think about what the physical crit effect does in PvP, you will understand why an un-dodgeable physical weapon on a Sniper is a catastrophe.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:15 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Quote:
But really admins? an energy with 651 regen and -14% elec tempering?

What energy is this? Likewise with the Crawl Wyrm superitem, this is first I've heard of either of these items being broken/overpowered.

Quote:
Blue Dwarf: A weapon like the Caduceus or Narwhal Horn may not stack up against Heph Blazing Hammer in DPS, but if you stop to think about what the physical crit effect does in PvP, you will understand why an un-dodgeable physical weapon on a Sniper is a catastrophe.

I know, people make mistakes (whether they're stupid ones or not), and learn from them.

As such I apologize (since I made both weapons) and shall be revising both these weapons, we have someone looking into the Crawl Wyrm.

Support

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:27 pm
Main: Beelz
Level: 1

The point of this is that you should not have to revise items AFTER the fact of them being ingame. this can drastically effect the players who obtain said items. look at what happened with the Wattage aug back when Aurora tried to change it. These items should be properly balanced BEFORE entering mainstream drop tables with appropriate thought put into them.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:33 pm
over 9000!

The energy is Jovian Olympios Energy, the neurobound version of Zeus Olympios Energy. I personally think that ZOE is a very nice T21 item, but JOE just takes things a bit far.

EDIT: As Beel says, improving a great item by 10% in all respects, simply by adding a neurobound tag, is pretty outrageous.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Last edited by anilv on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:34 pm
Main: Beelz
Level: 1

And requiring a neurobound tag is a weak argument for allowing something to be broken.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:36 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

anilv wrote:
The energy is Jovian Olympios Energy, the neurobound version of Zeus Olympios Energy. I personally think that ZOE is a very nice T21 item, but JOE just takes things a bit far.

Now that I remember its nurobound, I don't mind it being so good because I know it can never move again thus making the market better. But it is still very good, maybe a tone down on the regen.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Quote:

What energy is this? Likewise with the Crawl Wyrm superitem, this is first I've heard of either of these items being broken/overpowered.

Good example of not communicating with the player base.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:37 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

trevor54 wrote:
Blue Dwarf wrote:
Quote:

Good example of not communicating with the player base.

I don't have access to tickets, no one brought it up to me directly, and no one posted it in the old Bugs section of the forum. If they did the last then it was buried in some topic with other stuff where it shouldn't of been.

Support

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:41 pm
over 9000!

Why should JOE have been posted as a bug? It's exactly 10% better than ZOE, just like other neurobound upgrades. The only bug here is the dev who thought it would be a good idea to make easily obtained upgraded versions of the few pieces of Olympus gear that are actually good.

Beel is right to say that a lot of this started with the Wattage augmenter, which should never have been T19 in the first place. As I understand it, we current have a small number of content devs all working on their own projects with essentially no peer review. If the only way to get a decent influx of content is to compromise all quality assurance, something needs to change.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:49 pm

It has nothing to do with this, as a dev you should be playing the game. If you were actively playing, you would know most items in game. Any half decent person knew off the bat what energy Beelzebub was talking about. It really bothers me that you didn't. Maybe I am going overboard, I am just wanting SS to excel.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:51 pm

anilv wrote:
Why should JOE have been posted as a bug? It's exactly 10% better than ZOE, just like other neurobound upgrades. The only bug here is the dev who thought it would be a good idea to make easily obtained upgraded versions of the few pieces of Olympus gear that are actually good.

Beel is right to say that a lot of this started with the Wattage augmenter, which should never have been T19 in the first place. As I understand it, we current have a small number of content devs all working on their own projects with essentially no peer review. If the only way to get a decent influx of content is to compromise all quality assurance, something needs to change.

The JoE is not near as big of a problem like other things. When you nurobound something you take it out of the market.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:53 pm
over 9000!

I agree that there are bigger fish to fry, Trevor. That doesn't discount any of the criticism that has been raised in regard to JOE. Every dev should have recognized it immediately by its stats, and I'm not at all convinced that turning it into a credit sink by taking it off the market is sufficient justification for the beef it gets over ZOE.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:58 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next