Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Team: Traders
Main: Thermal
Level: 5942

Post Re: Missiles are totally unbalanced.
landswimmer wrote:
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
I do, but I don't like the idea of GOING OUT OF MY WAY TO BUILD AND DEFEND A GALAXY to advance the basics.

All classes, any playstyle, you NEED bases to do anything in SS over a certain point.

You need bases to pirate, to dg, to skill up. Because theres no other way to do so. Even the Trade Skill To Be, Prospecting, is tied to bases to advance the character. Thats the trade skill for people WITHOUT bases. And it needs bases to advance the player's character....

this is true.

what is also true, is that only 0.005% of the population enjoys base management.

this limits SS's playerbase to: people who dont have jobs and dont mind spending all their time working but not getting paid.

which is great if you're looking for a pool of people to recruit volunteer workers from, it sucks if you're looking to create a successful MMO.

tl;dr - if you enjoy bases, there is something wrong with you. if you expect people to put up with bases in order to play enjoyable parts of SS, then you have seriously overestimated the enjoyable parts of SS (or, as an aforementioned "crazy person" you consider base building an enjoyable part of SS, which very well suits your other favourite pasttimes, "waiting in line at the DMV for hours" and "filling out tax forms"

Both of you are wrong.

I played on CSE without having deployed a single base until I was level 2800. I purchased all my gear through shops, and I had never built a single item until I made a few extensors for my first T20 kit. There are also many other players like this. Dr Acula and playerboy345 are examples of this.

And that 0.005% of the player base enjoys base management is also wrong. Everyone loves BvB, and many people play this game solely for colonies. Just look at Zephyr. There is nothing wrong with you if you enjoy bases, I'd rather say there is something wrong with people who make statements like this without having played for several years. Another few people to mention here, is colin22 and Paladinofdoom. They loved building items and ships more than anything.

My tl;dr will be the following: You can play just fine without managing your own bases, all you need is to get your items from team mates or through shops. And there is a lot of players who enjoy base management and building items.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:39 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

i too, have done very little with bases.

and the limits that has placed upon the enjoyability of SS for me, are things which i genuinely beleive have a negative effect on the game.

and i did not say playerbase.

i said players.

all the players who DONT still play SS

because they couldnt find a good team, and they couldnt build their own bases, so they decided to quit, and go play something less tedious.

i found a good team. as did Dr Acula and playerboy

the admins can either accept the obvious, that boring tedious shit in their game, is driving away both new and current players, or they can continue to try and keep SS alive on the kind of players who have no lives, and so have no problem with doing boring tedious shit in their free time, like base management or leveling (because free time is all they have)

and the unemployment rates in the US are on the decline, the amount of people who are able to devote the time neccesary to enjoy SS is dwindling. perhaps SS's server issues, game issues and other problems ARENT the cause of its "lack of players"

maybe the game just isnt that fun... and to be honest, it would need to be better than sex, for me to want to put in the effort needed to get t21 ships and all that bullshit. so rather than trying to make a game that is better than sex, how about you REDUCE THE FUCKING GRIND and make SS a GAME, rather than a second job where you dont get paid. as you would expect, "second jobs where you dont get paid" arent all that popular

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 am

I don't think your understanding of this game is in line with what the Admins wants for this game. Saying that people who play this game for hours each day don't have a life is pretty obscure. You are actually just stating your personal opinions here, which we all know will most likely differ from other peoples point of view, and therefore you can't expect other than the reply I am typing out now. Expect nothing but troll food.

What you might see a tedious and boring shit, like base building and leveling up a character over long time, can be what is actually keeping some people in this game. Free time is not all I have, but I love the fact that I can devote 1-2 hours each day over a long period and enjoy my gameplay because of that. Of course Star Sonata isn't a game that you play for 10-15 minutes a few times a week. Then you can go play Tetris instead.

This game isn't for lazy people like you DB. You can go play some other game instead, because the desired player base for this game obviously isn't you and your idea of what this game should be like.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

I would not play db's version of this game because it would likely lack the depth that all this "boring shit" gives me

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

I enjoy base management, but i do not like the idea that FC and Gunner require bases to advance their class. I wouldn't mind the more advanced stuff being base content, but when your entire subskill requires a base....

I do not mean buy from a shop, because the owner of said shop had to use a base to build the items in the first place. And that is the point I've been trying to get people to see.

Yes, a FC or Gunner can make do without missiles or fighters in a capital ship, but they're losing a lot of firepower.

Which goes into the next point: not being tied down to produce stuff when your opponent has you stuck in a mobile war. If you could have a lot more ways to produce stuff without requiring a base, then you'll see more lone wolves and smaller teams pvping, because they would not have assets that can be destroyed to limit their progression.

Even though they are pirates, SS should never promote what happened at Protean. But I have to say, if you pick on the big fish, expect to be fried.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 am
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

I enjoy base management. However, my enjoyment is somewhat hampered by certain GUI bugs and\or flaws. It's a fun part of the game, but it can be made better.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:22 pm
Profile WWW

Visorak wrote:
I enjoy base management. However, my enjoyment is somewhat hampered by certain GUI bugs and\or flaws. It's a fun part of the game, but it can be made better.

I agree: accurate base logs are a priority. However, given that you now have total control over min/max production figures on resources in bases means that if you apply Trade settings correctly, base management is easy beyond belief.

Get back to me when you've run a major team proddy base where you couldn't set limits on extraction rates.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Which goes into the next point: not being tied down to produce stuff when your opponent has you stuck in a mobile war. If you could have a lot more ways to produce stuff without requiring a base, then you'll see more lone wolves and smaller teams pvping, because they would not have assets that can be destroyed to limit their progression.

Even though they are pirates, SS should never promote what happened at Protean. But I have to say, if you pick on the big fish, expect to be fried.

There's a very obvious counter-argument to this.

Celestial layer is currently non-PvP. Missile factories (currently) / fighters only require metals + nukes to make, with perhaps some extracted tier commods thrown in.

While it may be slower (due to reduced amounts of resources) to produce missiles / fighters in a 'safe zone', the possibility is never excluded. There is no point within Star Sonata, currently, where a player cannot fall back and produce the resources needed for their class.

/Class dismissed.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:48 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2414

Got a timetable yet for that Gunner beef? :mrgreen:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:46 pm
Main: Xenodread
Level: 2605

I keep asking that and keep getting "at least 2 weeks" and that's just on the test server.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:37 pm
Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
snip

I'm just curious...how do they get the tier three commodities to build the missile factories?

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:10 pm

seanla4350 wrote:
I don't think your understanding of this game is in line with what the Admins wants for this game. Saying that people who play this game for hours each day don't have a life is pretty obscure. no, i am saying that playing this game for hours every day and not having a life is NECCESARY for a person to enjoy the game

you can play an hour or 2 every now and then, but you get fucking nowhere and it isnt "fun" enough. the only "fun" way to play SS is when you're working towards having something, like a new ship. and even then, it gets pretty boring...
You are actually just stating your personal opinions here, which we all know will most likely differ from other peoples point of view, and therefore you can't expect other than the reply I am typing out now. Expect nothing but troll food.

What you might see a tedious and boring shit, like base building and leveling up a character over long time, can be what is actually keeping some people in this game. as someone who has played SS for years, i know. I KNOW. Free time is not all I have, but I love the fact that I can devote 1-2 hours each day over a long period and enjoy my gameplay because of that. Of course Star Sonata isn't a game that you play for 10-15 minutes a few times a week. Then you can go play Tetris instead. >implying i havent already

This game isn't for lazy people like you DB. 99% of the population shares my "laziness" as you call it

we prefer to get PAID for doing work.
You can go play some other game instead, because the desired player base for this game obviously isn't you and your idea of what this game should be like.

so basically you're saying "NAH, WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN PLAYERS, JEFF IS HAPPY HAVING LESS THAN 1000"

i assure you. jeffy is not.

the part of his brain that manages finances is freaking the fuck out at the failed investment which was MEANT to increase the amount of players. but didnt.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Main: Rhys
Level: 3919

sabre198 wrote:
I would not play db's version of this game because it would likely lack the depth that all this "boring shit" gives me

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:11 pm

landswimmer wrote:

so basically you're saying "NAH, WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN PLAYERS, JEFF IS HAPPY HAVING LESS THAN 1000"

the part of his brain that manages finances is freaking the fuck out at the failed investment which was MEANT to increase the amount of players. but didnt.

You obviously missed a lot of information while fuzzing around trolling the forums DB. The investment in Client 2 has actually increased the player base by huge amounts, but I guess you wouldn't know if you're only sitting on the forums and lurking with your fishing rod trying to catch people with troll bait.

And I still don't see why you think you speak for the player base. Those who look at the game like you do, are inactive and normally isn't considered a part of the player base. Because they simply went and played some other game.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 pm
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

seanla4350 wrote:

You obviously missed a lot of information while fuzzing around trolling the forums DB. The investment in Client 2 has actually increased the player base by huge amounts, but I guess you wouldn't know if you're only sitting on the forums and lurking with your fishing rod trying to catch people with troll bait.

And I still don't see why you think you speak for the player base. Those who look at the game like you do, are inactive and normally isn't considered a part of the player base. Because they simply went and played some other game.

Your voice is so calming, like gentle waves breaking softly against the beach at sunset.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:42 am

seanla4350 wrote:
landswimmer wrote:

i speak for people who dont play SS, but might play it if it was more fun.

and we outnumber you. the gaming industry caters to us by bringing out short, polished games which take less than 10 hours to finish

if SS catered to the mainstream a little more, it would dramatically improve the game experience for the "hardcore" players. SS would have a functional economy, and much fewer players would quit.

SS could be a lifelong addiction for players if the admins would change the game so you dont need to put in hundreds of hours of work to get a worthwhile character and ship...

and none of the current content needs to be changed to accomplish this. the bottlenecks and "limited supply but essential" items just need to be sorted (spending 4 hours trying to find some tiny item you need for one skill really isnt fun. its the kind of thing that drives people to quit.. fair enough if the item should be expensive, but there should always be a way forward at the time you're logged on. you should never have to wait for another person to log on so you can buy something if you are under level 1k)

with that sorted, the other issues become less of a problem

Last edited by landswimmer on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:19 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next