Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

Post Re: Advcate for Droners United
Well, if there were a base that could store large numbers of them and buy them for a good price, there would be incentive for people to mass-produce the things. I don't doubt that someone would make a batch of a thousand within a few universes as long as they could get a positive credit outcome from it.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 am
Main: Prommilypicklesomnomnom
Level: 4704

Cygnus wrote:
Well, if there were a base that could store large numbers of them and buy them for a good price, there would be incentive for people to mass-produce the things. I don't doubt that someone would make a batch of a thousand within a few universes as long as they could get a positive credit outcome from it.

People have that choice, but there's easier methods to make the same profit margin in less time.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:02 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

As was stated, Armada Drones are in relatively short supply when it comes to building higher-tier UZ drones. It's much better now that there are numerous blueprints for the things equipped around the Uni, instead of having to rely solely on drops.

Alternate BPs that are credit-only would definitely solve the market inefficiency problem, but in a bit of a silly way I feel. There are a great many inefficiencies in the SS market (in fact, there's not much that's efficient) but circumventing all of these by cash alternatives would be ludicrous. Here are two different spins on the basic idea that I think would work better.

1. You can buy/build nerfed versions of expensive drones for just credits.

2. When an expensive drone dies, a broken copy of it is placed in your hull. You can return this and credits to an AI base (maybe only Lyceum?) in exchange for a nerfed version of the original drone (possibly neurobound). Can potentially repeat the process if one of the nerfed drones dies.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:07 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: thebattler36
Level: 2015

JeffL wrote:
Two questions:

Are there any player shops that sell commonly used "expensive" drones?

There doesn't seem to be a regular supply of Armada Inferno drones. Armada charges are more common, but still difficult to find.

JeffL wrote:
Would an AI base like Rocky Horror that stocked common expensive drones, but didn't produce or consume them be something that might help?

I don't think people would sell to the base since demand is so high, so the selling price would have to be more than the current market value, which would drive the buying price up even more.

JeffL wrote:
When I hear things like "I don't mind the money, but I mind the time it takes", it sounds like there is an inefficient market. I'm sure there would be people willing to make drones for you if the price was right.

The price is already over 3.5b for Armada Infernos, the problem is that the items they require are in such high demand or have low supply. Sup Damage augs are used for Ada Damage modules, Dem/Ada rage augs as well as for base augs. While armada drones are much harder to get with the lockouts in UZ.

JeffL wrote:
To the other points about drones and losses and how Engineer loses more than other classes on death: there are basically two ways drones can work in this game, as commodities like OL's and diffusers, or as rare and very expensive items that you never lose. I've always seen them as commodities, but I understand why people have a hard time with losing expensive drones, because in addition to the commodity drones that are priced as such, we also have super expensive and rare drones.

The super rare and expensive drones are much more expensive than 'equivalent' rare and expensive items, lincins are cheaper than Armada infernos, Rhino Restruct and Armada wands are cheaper than charges. People would happily use drones as commodities if only their rarity and price reflected the fact they were commodities.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:28 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

thebattler35 wrote:
The super rare and expensive drones are much more expensive than 'equivalent' rare and expensive items, lincins are cheaper than Armada infernos, Rhino Restruct and Armada wands are cheaper than charges. People would happily use drones as commodities if only their rarity and price reflected the fact they were commodities.

Probably because drones get used up, but once made, weapons stay around forever. One could make the argument that the drone sub-economy is the only part of the Star Sonata economy that's actually working somewhat well from a game perspective.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Lupusregina Beta
Level: 4903

Drones are fine.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:25 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

As far as I can see, there are problems with Engineer, but then again what class is perfect? However, these problems are compounded by the issue that of all the 8 classes, Engineer has true permanent loss if something goes wrong, whereabouts a Slave class can unstasis his slaves.

1. Engineer lacks a large variety of drones at all tech and tier levels. When you can count all the Offensive drones for T19-T21 on your fingers, it isn't a good thing.

2. Whether or not it's your fault, if drones die, the market doesn't have enough supply to keep demand down, and therefore all "good" drones are horribly expensive and teams hoard them as they did Ada.

(If server crashes and downtime exceeds lifespan of drone, that drone disappears when server comes back up. This is an intentional feature, afaik.)

3. Advanced pieces of gear(Fine Tuned, [Ancient] Ruins, etc) are not worth the effort to obtain them, even with the SP change slowing people down in an attempt to get people to use said gear.

(This isn't just for Engineers, but powerful "Engineer" -like Mzungu ruins are definitely not worthwhile hunting down for the time it'd take)

It isn't that the gear is not powerful enough; it is the fact the time effort is greater than just teching up and spending credits. Newbs tend to not understand in the first place.

4. There is not a realistic way to recover or regain drones if case you do lose them.

There are two solutions to number 4:

A. Drones are [cheap] commodities as you say, and there are ways to obtain larger numbers of either the current drones, or alternatives.

Ex. 1 Build of an AID bp produces 3 actual drones, so multi-build of 4 times means 12 new drones.

Ex. There would be 3 alternatives for "high end"(T20) heat drone. The AID, a Plasma Cannon Drone from Perp Motion, and an UrQa drone with a 3shot and a plasmite laser from bana queen(rare drop from any qokuji ai).

Then 3 Mid level drones(T19), and 3 Low level drones(T17), for heat damage of the upper levels.

B. Drones are considered hard items in where they will be hard to actually lose, but the upkeep is high like normal gear upon death.

Ex. Build a neurobound or not Drone Generator, which counts as a weapon and therefore takes a weapon slot(multiple gens take the same slot, just the name takes 1 slot each) that deploys a drone when charged up, and goes on cooldown if drone is killed.

Ex. Drone Stasis + Drones requiring Repair when docked after drone death.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:54 pm
Team: Traders
Main: the speed of dark
Level: 2833

fruits wrote:
Drones are fine.

Get the fuck off this topic. Honestly you're just being annoying.

Anyways enkelin I like your idea a lot

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:44 pm

a jedi master wrote:
fruits wrote:
Drones are fine.

Get the fuck off this topic. Honestly you're just being annoying.

Anyways enkelin I like your idea a lot

Beacause i find nothing wrong in making ainfs,charges?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 am
over 9000!

I find nothing wrong with having to get a new 3shot each time my SD dies.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:42 am

Battlecruiser23 wrote:

you are still losing gear? gz

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 am
over 9000!

fruits wrote:
Battlecruiser23 wrote:

you are still losing gear? gz

I lose gear every time my engineer dies. So I should have to replace my 3shot each time, no?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:21 am