Team: Traders
Main: Comander Caius
Level: 4994

Post Question to the Dev's
Why do suns do such massive ass damage? If I go afk only for a minute, and I skid over a damn sun, it screws a lot of my bank. Is it really necessary? Why was sun damage even introduced? At least the damage done by it could be at least lower that what it is now.

The Salty One wrote:
"Hur Hur someone 20X my level in a massive dreadnought... POKE"

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:04 am
Profile YIM
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Post Re: Question to the Dev's
The admins continue to assert that between C1 and C2, no code has changed. According to them, they did this much back in C1.

Then the changed it to a degen aura, which now fucks over anyone doing Anaconda with an unblockable minus 50,000 aura.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 am
Main: Bonehead
Level: 2447

Max235 wrote:
The admins continue to assert that between C1 and C2, no code has changed. According to them, they did this much back in C1.

Which is pure BS in C1 they did % of shield damage. Now they just do damage with total disregard for shields.

The whole suns doing damage is another of SS's idiotic features.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

It's not a bad concept, the damage just needs to be halved and changed to take total bank into account.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 5020

Agreed i like the idea of suns giving shield gen or degen auras but the numbers are way to high overall, especially in snake hole. No other area in game is a guaranteed death like that sun does when entering or leaving.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:20 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

I'd prefer if they just fixed it. It's great, but pretty brutal. Autopiloting through a star used to be fine. But now you come back and look at the screen and... well... yeah... Haven't done it since they changed it to auras... but it's bad either way.

Also, which is it? They said the server code didn't change but the devs also talk about how much easier the codebase is to work with. What's going on there? I'd understand if it was just the client that changed, but these are content devs, man. Also, the server seams to send the turning (aka banking data) to the client. I suspect it also sends the z axis for projectiles too, but they might have changed that. (and I cba to packet sniff) What's going on here? Which is it? The same or different?

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 pm

It was a damned joke, Enk. Hal is a code dev. This is a code problem. Hal is the most well known code dev.

The joke goes "I blame <insert random name of person related to the subject>"

Would the joke go better if I said "I blame Wex"?

Or do I need to use the Big Smile or Raz Smiley each and every time I use a joke because someone is pretending this is the '80s when these jokes did not exist.

Last edited by Max235 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:31 pm
Main: Yehaaaaaaaaaaa
Level: 5464

Max235 wrote:

Then the changed it to a degen aura, which now fucks over anyone doing Anaconda with an unblockable minus 50,000 aura.

I have no idea what the point of everyone dieing as soon as they go searching for Anni is. Fair enuff if they weaken sheilds and you need to run away using sheild tweaks to survive, but even ShMs dieing as soon as they warp in is pathetic.

Jeff Bobbo needs a good slapping over that one.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:50 pm
Dev Team
Main: Col Legno
Level: 1000

We know about the anni problem, and have been looking at different solutions. As for sun damage in general, I agree it seems like a lot of damage, but I think it's working as intended (except in anni). I will however bring it up and see what people have to say about it.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:12 am
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

I think most suns are fine, the only exceptions are suns so big that its near impossible to avoid them (the red giants) that do a lot of dps over a prolonged period and the 'clusters' of dark suns, you find em in packs of four. One on its own is damaging enough, but when you fly over four you dead in a second.

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:36 am

The bulk of the problems seem to be the red giants in DG's, where large or larger ships such as Camsy's Warship take lots of damage over time as they fly across it (Unacceptable to tell the capship to go around because of its speed)

Thats one. The next is that the cluster suns, the ones specifically called Class A in game, replaced the most numerous sun in C1, and because of that, a lot of them sit on AP routes. You may be going through team space, or aping through w0, and run over one or two in the NON PVP EARTHFORCE SPACE LAYER and then die to a flyswatter because your shields plummeted.

It is understandable that the pink suns in dungeons are now Class A's, but that sun they all replaced actually did NOT do damage to your shields. It went from 0 damage one universe to 5000 damage or 5000 degen in the next, per second, and now they're unblockable.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:15 pm
Main: Assassinat3r
Level: 2460

I don't think it's realistic enough, suns should do more damage, so much so that just flying near them causes parts of your ship to vaporiZe. Or in this case, to stay in line with SS mechanics, rapidly reduce your items durability down to 0.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:13 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

assasinat3r wrote:
I don't think it's realistic enough, suns should do more damage, so much so that just flying near them causes parts of your ship to vaporiZe. Or in this case, to stay in line with SS mechanics, rapidly reduce your items durability down to 0.

It doesn't work that way in real life. You can get as close as mercury without anything special. This includes shields. The whole point of shields on ships is so that the hull never takes any damage, thus you can die as many times as you want. If the stasis generator now chucks parts into space, so be it. That's what gear glue was for. Ships always take the damage to the shields before anything else.

And you can go farther than mercury if you don't use delicate communications equipment. You know, those things designed to specificly absorb as much of that radiation as possible and feed it into tiny tiny transistors, those things that can be completely fried at 5 volts. Sorry, but in real life you could easily design something to orbit just above the surface without worry. The problem would be drag, not heat.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:05 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

Col Legno wrote:
We know about the anni problem, and have been looking at different solutions. As for sun damage in general, I agree it seems like a lot of damage, but I think it's working as intended (except in anni). I will however bring it up and see what people have to say about it.
It was working as intended in c1, or at least it seemed like it was. As churchill pointed out earlier, sun damage has been beefed twice since C1. I doubt that was intentional, more of a side-effect of other changes.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Mow
Level: 9760

They need to fix the fucking sun in Anaconda, literally you cannot avoid that sun, even going at 700 speed your shields just drop to 0 in 0.001 of a second. so basically when you warp in, you will instantly die.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 pm