over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Max Ships.
Credit sink for more ship slots is incongruous since each additional Singularity Sphere represents 4m+ peasants per uni towards colonies. Since that's renewable income for every uni to come, it will eventually contribute to credit inflation in the long run. The cost would therefore have to be so high that the average purchasing player would need to let their account go permanently inactive before the additional peasant storage became economical. Since few old accounts truly ever die, I think we know what that means.

Generally you want to avoid credit sinks that can be used as investment vehicles, since that completely circumvents the idea of them.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:51 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

We could give every character a certain amount of "Storage Ship slots", say 10 ships total with maybe an extra 5 for training really hard/expensive Skills, and give a massive capacity bonus to those ships, like 75%. Balanced in a way that, you could still use normal ship slots to store things, but it would be ultimately inefficient when compared to the bonus a designated storage ship gets.
And as an added bonus, you can let players search through the combined storage as if its a single hull, like with the TSL now.

This would work nicely because as players progress from they can upgrade from bulks-gels-thatches-SS and using good +hull augs would still be encouraged.

It frees up ships slots for any old combat or trophy ships you want to keep, for nostalgia or whatever. And ship slots could be upped to around 40-50 without a big problem.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Last edited by Visorak on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!

I'd rather move away from ships-for-storage and towards TSL-type stuff, personally. Using ships for storage is a terribly inelegant mechanic that should never have been allowed to go so far.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:16 pm
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

Yeah i thought of that too, but figured the other idea would be simpler to implement.

TSL-type storage would mean nerfing storage capacity to say 1/10 for gels, thatches and SS. There would need to be a reduction of massive base gear to a size where a SS can still be used as an effective base laying and transport ship.

It would require a big hull size rebalance.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3937

anilv wrote:
I'd rather move away from ships-for-storage and towards TSL-type stuff, personally. Using ships for storage is a terribly inelegant mechanic that should never have been allowed to go so far.

Not a good idea.

Base builders have a huge investment in storage ships.

If it isn't broken dont try to fix it.

Any move along that line would result in massive player dissatisfaction from the segment of the playerbase that has the most active accounts.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm
Profile YIM
over 9000!

If you can't agree that ship-based storage is one of the most inelegant mechanics in SS, you are short-sighted. If you can't see at least one obvious way to commute ship-based storage to TSL-type storage, you just aren't thinking hard enough.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Peasants shouldn't carry over to new uni problem solved. Who cares if all the rich colony whores rage! Power to the little people!!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 pm
over 9000!

redalert150 wrote:
Peasants shouldn't carry over to new uni problem solved. Who cares if all the rich colony whores rage! Power to the little people!!

Lol. It might make sense to rebalance the system a bit so that pumping becomes uneconomical sooner. If I'm not mistaken (I've only ever done an informal calculation) pumping a colony currently becomes uneconomical around 15 to 20 million population. That means that it's economical to store up to 20 million peasants PER COLONY per uni. If that number were closer to 1 million, you wouldn't see people trying to get astronomical storage space that's only used one week out of every 3-4 months.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

anilv wrote:
If you can't agree that ship-based storage is one of the most inelegant mechanics in SS, you are short-sighted. If you can't see at least one obvious way to commute ship-based storage to TSL-type storage, you just aren't thinking hard enough.

When you argue the person and not the issue it shows your argument lacks merit.

Btw if a nerf to storage ships was implemented there would need to be a refund of the ships and and/or an aug reset together with a rebalance of the build cost of Sing spheres as people have invested large amounts of time, credits and resources in building them. Also, expect a crash in the cap aug market.

Last edited by Russell on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 pm
Profile YIM
over 9000!

When you reject a solution to a shoddy system out of hand, it shows that you aren't worth the effort of a proper argument.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 pm

anilv wrote:
When you reject a solution to a shoddy system out of hand, it shows that you aren't worth the effort of a proper argument.

Then why are you wasting time posting here with such feeble arguments.

Grow up boy.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 am
Profile YIM
over 9000!

For those who don't have their heads up their asses, here is an outline of how to transition to a proper storage system in SS without pissing in anyone's frappuccino. And for the cranial-rectally challenged among us, best of luck with that.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 am
Main: Vitruvius
Level: 3998

I would be supremely happy if i can get rid of the all the SS's and make them meld into the TSL ;P

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:04 am
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

The TSL is supposed to be a handy incentive to build up one's account, allowing the transfer/storage of gear and some loot....
It has an exponential cost (I think) in order to prevent people from storing an absurd quantity of peasants/achilles Y gear.

Visorak wrote:
We could give every character a certain amount of "Storage Ship slots"

Definitely prefer this solution; something along the lines of the ability to meld ships and compartmentalize items as the player sees fit... just a few ships, mind. It'd probably avoid some of the TSL problems as well.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:08 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: liquid death
Level: 2540

Tomzta09 wrote:
syberian wrote:
Idea: limit f2ps but not p2ps.

/signed

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 pm