Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3253

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Post Star Sonata Ship Renders!
What is this Project?
I've begun an endeavor to render every ship in the game using Mental Ray (a component of 3DS Max). It's primarily for the Wiki, but the project does have a secondary purpose; that being, letting me know which ships are in dire need of new models, textures, or glowmaps. Anyways, I'll update this topic and the update post whenever I add more renders to the album.

Image Gallery
This link will always take you to the first ship in the most recent set of renders.

http://imgur.com/a/MFVTe#20

That said, I'm not sure which subforum to put this in. So yeah.

I am not very knowledgeable about the ships of SS. I know their names, but not what they look like. As such, it is very difficult for me to locate the models and textures of most ships.

Ship List Spreadsheet
I have created a Google Spreadsheet for a list of the models, textures, and glowmaps. I would greatly appreciate you helping fill it in, or other people, or w/e. You can find the ship.xml file, containing the ship model/glowmap/texture names, in your SS folder: Star Sonata 2\Content\Default\game_data\ships.xml.
Google Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atl5wcKC-V7edDdfblh1eVRlZldSaFRNUkdLa2hhMEE&usp=sharing

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Kudos to DragonGod (http://forum.starsonata.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=111822) for the suggestion.

Animations

I may or may not continue doing these.

I've rendered a 30s Apprentice's Ward Animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-5kFx6eSeE

Last edited by thecrazygamemaster on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Post Re: Star Sonata Ship Renders!
Necessary bump for reservation of a post for the Update Log.

Update Log:

03/09/2014, 12:58 PM:
  • Rendered a 30s Apprentice's Ward Animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-5kFx6eSeE
  • Added Blood Striker
  • Added Blaze Inferno
  • Added Big Roswell
  • Added Behemoth
  • Added Behemoth+
  • Added Dyson Behemoth (Custom Ship)
  • Added Battle Sphere
  • Added Basil
  • Added Basil XY
  • Added Re-Render of Banshee
  • Added Banshee+
  • Added Astrodust
  • Added Astro-Grinch Sleigh
  • Added Assault Behmoth
  • Added Apprentice's Ward
  • Added Apprentice's Ward+
  • Added Argeiphontes Hermes
  • Added Argeiphontes Hermes+

02/23/2014, 5:55 PM:
- Added Thatch
- Added Ares War Chariot
- Added Ares War Chariot+
- Added Alternate Ares War Chariot+
- Added Paxian Astronomica
- Added Banshee
- Added Aether Scout
- Added Aether Scout+
- Added Agamemnon
- Added Agamemnon+
- Added Ampage
- Added Anachron
- Added Anachron+

02/05/2014, 7:25 PM:
- Added Absentis
- Added Anaconda
- Re-rendered Heph Machine + for a third time.

Last edited by thecrazygamemaster on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:36 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: HIV Droner
Level: 3800

Damn. That's just... words cannot express the sexiness.

typical fruits

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:08 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

woah

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:43 pm
Press Corps
Team: Aidelon
Main: DragonGod (Slaver)
Level: 4233

I was originally going to do this myself, but I never managed to get a solid grasps of the concepts behind it, and then became destracted by... other stuff. That also never went anywhere. Regardless, if you need some help and have a minute to help me understand WTF I'm doing, I will gladly help you with this project.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Yoko_Kurama wrote:
I was originally going to do this myself, but I never managed to get a solid grasps of the concepts behind it, and then became destracted by... other stuff. That also never went anywhere. Regardless, if you need some help and have a minute to help me understand WTF I'm doing, I will gladly help you with this project.

You need a decently powerful computer to do rendering, especially with Mental Ray. Mine is extremely powerful due to my game dev stuff, so I'm capable of it. I'm also a terrible teacher. However, there is something I need;

I am not very knowledgeable about the ships of SS. I know their names, but not what they look like. As such, it is very difficult for me to locate the models and textures of most ships.

I have created a Google Spreadsheet for a list of the models, textures, and glowmaps. I would greatly appreciate you helping fill it in, or other people, or w/e. You can find the ship.xml file, containing the ship model/glowmap/texture names, in your SS folder: Star Sonata 2\Content\Default\game_data\ships.xml.
Google Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atl5wcKC-V7edDdfblh1eVRlZldSaFRNUkdLa2hhMEE&usp=sharing

I added the above to the main post.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:55 pm
Press Corps

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
You need a decently powerful computer to do rendering, especially with Mental Ray. Mine is extremely powerful due to my game dev stuff, so I'm capable of it. I'm also a terrible teacher. However, there is something I need;

I added the above to the main post.

I too have a powerful computer, I'm just too dense to figure out rendering on my own. Spreadsheets I'm not good at either, but I am good about figuring out what parts go where seeing as I do that for a living, so I will take a look at this. If you could perhaps provide a simple overview for me, either here or in PM, I would be greatful anyway. Usually if I blunder my way through something enough I can eventually figure it out, but sometimes I need someone to beat it into me with a stick.

EDIT: After going through the files a bit I've noticed that the Devs decided to modularize the models for the alien ships. While this is awesome for SS because they can make literally scores of ships that all look different while following in the same theme without the (relatively) extreme use of resources that doing this by exporting every ship as a .obj file (ie. the old way) and also avoiding using the same models for a bunch of ships (*cough*Pretenders*cough*), it makes this project a little more difficult with regard to that line of ship. You would have to put all the bits together manually. =/

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:43 pm
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

indeed the aliens (except the 2 cap ships), were built in modules to allow for a much greater variety in looks and thanks to the fact its a lot faster to switch model when rendering, than to switch texture xD (so rendering 4 modules with the same texture is essentially the same speed as rendering 1 complete model with the same texture, but rendering 2 module with 2 texture is a hell lot longer).

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm
Press Corps

It's quite nice, but at the same time annoying to render outside of SS. =)

If any Devs are willing to help us out with this project, I need a list of all the (player known) ships that have particles or glows added by the server that aren't in the client files. For example, Santa's Special Sleigh. And I may also need some help deciphering some models and textures.

Also, if you could continue putting in comments as to what ships are what in the Ships.XML file, that would me awesome! xP

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:37 pm

This project is not dead. I got swamped with RL and College, but I can do a few renders this week.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 am
Press Corps

Woot, I was hoping that was the case. The spreadsheet is maybe 80-85% complete using what I had available. Some stuff might be wrong though, it's hard to tell without access to the server files. Other things use effects generated by the server which are going to be annoying to replicate (here's looking at you App Ward).

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:55 am

I've added more ships.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:02 pm
Main: Rhys
Level: 3919

The thatch, astro, absentis and absconditus look pretty legit, others not so much =P

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:19 pm
Press Corps

I'm using the Paxtro render as my desktop background at the moment because I love it so much. I hope TCGM gets more time to work on these soon, but with college and all he doesn't.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:16 pm