Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

Post Re: Player List of Pre-Greenlight Necessities
xantra wrote:
ELITE wrote:
Dom wrote:
So I recently started playing again from scratch, might sub this acct later on actually. But I still miss a smooth transition from Nexus/Deep Space into actual space and Sol, there is no real storyline or something to guide you along the way, nothing blatantly clear atleast. This is a huge problem.

The warp from Deep Space takes you directly into Sol iirc. Then you start your Earth missions!

He is right though; the leveling experience is unstructured and directionless. The game's story plays almost no role at all in leveling once you leave the Nexus.

Yeah that was exactly my point.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:10 am
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

xantra wrote:
The game's story plays almost no role at all in leveling once you leave the Nexus.

The game is an open world sandbox MMO.

The problem isn't the story, it's the fact that the level of ais does not match their strength in any way. That's why leveling is so directionless; no one knows what to kill.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Xantra
Level: 2904

SkyTitan wrote:
xantra wrote:
The game's story plays almost no role at all in leveling once you leave the Nexus.

The game is an open world sandbox MMO.

Eh, I'm not sure I'd call it a sandbox any more than I'd call World of Warcraft a sandbox. It has bits of freedom here and there, but it's not a true sandbox in the sense of, say EVE (gee, I bet that comparison has never been made before). Even with EVE and all its freedom though, the story plays more of a part than it does here in Star Sonata. I think the story could use some fleshing out, if the admins had someone capable of writing for them.

SkyTitan wrote:
xantra wrote:
The problem isn't the story, it's the fact that the level of ais does not match their strength in any way. That's why leveling is so directionless; no one knows what to kill.

I agree, and that's something else I'd like to see addressed. Level as a representation of an enemy's power has been a staple of MMOs forever. It doesn't really serve any point otherwise.

That, and the other great reason nobody knows what to kill is the lack of structure in the leveling system. There's nothing to point new players in the right direction, and the lack of consistency between level and power only compounds the issue.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:09 pm
Main: Aeglos
Level: 2773

I think the purpose of a sandbox mmo is to allow the players to write the story with their own actions. A structured story line in the tutorial phase is nice to help newbies adapt, before releasing them into the sandbox.

The main problem then, is that the players have nothing worth doing against each other - there is no major conflict for emperor (meant to be seen as the crowning achievement); no trade negotiations for rare commodity supply; no point in warring other than risking billions for minimal gain.
Everyone can carve out there own pocket of space, be safe, and really not need to get too involved with anyone. Hell, there are people building t21 ships in secure EF space!

Create incentive for conflict, incentive for interaction, and you have a vibrant playerbase shaping history like the old days.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 pm
Main: The Vert
Level: 60

SEANLA4350. wrote:
Hell, there are people building t21 ships in secure EF space!

Earthforce Layer is restricted to T19 and less blueprints on bases, you can't equip T20 blueprints there :roll: So I am not sure where your information is from :wink:

Please check these Bug report guidelines before you make your first bug report, or if you are uncertain on how to do it.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:47 am
Main: lights out
Level: 66

The Vert wrote:
SEANLA4350. wrote:

Earthforce Layer is restricted to T19 and less blueprints on bases, you can't equip T20 blueprints there :roll: So I am not sure where your information is from :wink:

you might want to double check...

Bigger asshole than Wizard, The Voomy One, Blake/Pimp, Fruits, Shadowblade, Enkelin, Tobal, Hitler and O.J. Simpson combined

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:47 am

If there is a bug that makes it possible, then those players who have taken advantage of that can expect to have any assets they have produced that way removed, and exploiting it without reporting it is grounds for a ban :) And you guys complain that we don't spend time on important things, most of the time it is because we have to spend a lot of additional time tracking and investigating exploiters :)

Please check these Bug report guidelines before you make your first bug report, or if you are uncertain on how to do it.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:02 am
Main: lights out
Level: 66

The Vert wrote:
If there is a bug that makes it possible, then those players who have taken advantage of that can expect to have any assets they have produced that way removed, and exploiting it without reporting it is grounds for a ban :) And you guys complain that we don't spend time on important things, most of the time it is because we have to spend a lot of additional time tracking and investigating exploiters :)

people more than likely don't report exploitable bugs because they would rather abuse it, the exploit is more rewarding than the actual reward from reporting in almost all cases, so basic logic dictates to abuse it

it also doesn't help there used to be a time where people got banned for reporting exploitable bugs, with the logic being that if you reported it, you abused it

Bigger asshole than Wizard, The Voomy One, Blake/Pimp, Fruits, Shadowblade, Enkelin, Tobal, Hitler and O.J. Simpson combined

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:20 am

If that logic was around, it must have been a long way back in history and does not represent the current developer team and its policies :)

And as long as I'd love to see improvement to the bug reporting, I would also love to see exploiters getting harder punishments, but when people still pull off exploits it really doesn't help that the same people very often complain about developers and how little "useful" work they do :wink:

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:25 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

The Vert wrote:
If that logic was around, it must have been a long way back in history and does not represent the current developer team and its policies :)

And as long as I'd love to see improvement to the bug reporting, I would also love to see exploiters getting harder punishments, but when people still pull off exploits it really doesn't help that the same people very often complain about developers and how little "useful" work they do :wink:

This has been happening forever, I've known of people who reported exploits in the past and then kept abusing them after they were reported. The Dev team wasn't able to get to the bugs in time, the exploiters noticed that, and kept doing it.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:36 am

The Vert wrote:
SEANLA4350. wrote:

Out of curiosity, why was it restricted to T19? I'm pretty sure you used to be able to build T20 in celestial garden?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:41 pm
Main: Spartan 141
Level: 3448

Add REGULAR patch notes for every patch to that list of required things

And xantra it was because pirate teams used bases to push out t21 ships like crazy in cele garden first uni that it exsisted

Absolutely no comment.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:30 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Sorry for not updating the list, I was on vacation. Back now, so I went through the topic and updated the list.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:02 pm

xantra wrote:
The Vert wrote:
SEANLA4350. wrote:

Out of curiosity, why was it restricted to T19? I'm pretty sure you used to be able to build T20 in celestial garden?

Celestial Garden was also limited to T19 after a while :) We did this because of several reasons, one of them being that Celestial Garden was a layer for freemium players to learn to build safely, and they do not have access to most T20 content, so there was no point in allowing them to build T20 :)

It was also done to prevent it being desirable for high end premium players to safely build high end items with no risk of getting attacked :)

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:50 am

Fair point, I just wondered. Thanks!

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:19 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next