Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

Post Wiki Ships Page - Final Touches
Alright, so for anyone who hasn't seen this post before, here's what it's about.
http://wiki2.starsonata.com/index.php/Ships#Capital_Ships
There's a new table that I made for the Ships page, check it out and let me know what you think about it. I'll take into consideration all of your feedback and ideas and incorporate them as best as I can.
I'll be keeping this post up to date with what I do and will respond to feedback you guys give.

This is probably the last thing I need from you guys before I finish this and go to the next major page. So, here is the current table.
I want you guys to tell me what you like, and what you don't like. Don't understand something? Then tell me! I'll be sure to clarify it on the page.
There are blue and orange dividers in that image. I'll probably keep it to orange but I just wanted to test with a different color and see if you guys think you'd prefer a different one, but I think orange looks really good there.

Also as a sidenote, I removed the ship images column. Sorry, but I can't incorporate them and really, does it matter that much? The ship's own page has an image anyway.

I'll probably make a poll once this is done for which major page I should redo next (augs, drones, shields, etc), keep an eye out for it, though redoing each and every player ship will take me a good amount of time.

Last edited by SunDog60 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:35 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Kinetic
Level: 4707

Post Re: Wiki Ships Page Major Changes
R.I.P. old Wiki

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:47 am
Team: Traders
Main: Durfingle
Level: 5819

durf likey

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:16 am
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

The scrollable boxes are awesome. I'm a huge fan. Thank you for doing that, and I hope you'll find time to do the same thing all over the wiki!

As for the actual tables, l like the color coding that you did, and I especially like the box outlines with the bit of space between each ship row, but I preferred the older system of having all of the information for one ship in a single row. It's just easier to compare stats between ships that way. At least it is for me. That's just my two cents' worth, though. I'm not doing the work, so I don't get a "vote," but if I had one, that's what it would be.

Thanks again for all the cool stuff you're doing on the wiki.

There's something else I'd like to see on the wiki, but I'm not capable of doing it, so I'll just throw it out there as a suggestion in case you're willing / able. I'd love to see the augmenter page turned into a sortable table with separate rows for each kind of common stat instead of having all of the stats for each aug thrown into one box. It may be a case where the normal stats could have their own columns and then there's a catch-all column for "other" where stats that are only possessed by a few augs (like drone ops) are recorded. Then, if you knew you needed something like +resist on your setup, you could sort the list by the resists column and see the stats of all the augs that include +resist.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:29 am
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

I tried posting
Code:
{{ScrollBoxBegin}}
{| border="2" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" class="wikitable sortable"
before the first listing for an energy on the energy page of the wiki. I added closing brackets at the end of the column headings and at the end of the energies list, as well as
Code:
{{ScrollBoxEnd}}

In the preview all I accomplished was to put the headings in a table slightly separated from the list of energies and lose the sorting arrows. I still didn't get a scroll box for the energies.

Since my changes didn't work, I didn't save them. What am I doing wrong? I can't see what you've done in the ships page that I didn't copy over to the energies page.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:53 am
Contributor

Dorin Nube wrote:
I tried posting
Code:
{{ScrollBoxBegin}}
{| border="2" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" class="wikitable sortable"
before the first listing for an energy on the energy page of the wiki. I added closing brackets at the end of the column headings and at the end of the energies list, as well as
Code:
{{ScrollBoxEnd}}

In the preview all I accomplished was to put the headings in a table slightly separated from the list of energies and lose the sorting arrows. I still didn't get a scroll box for the energies.

Since my changes didn't work, I didn't save them. What am I doing wrong? I can't see what you've done in the ships page that I didn't copy over to the energies page.

From what I can tell the {{ScrollBoxBegin/End}} tag doesn't work. You'll want to use:
<div style="width: 100%; height:30em; overflow:auto; border: 0px solid #088">
at the starting location of the scrollbox, and at the end you put in "</div>".

I've put one on my discussion page, you'll be able to easily find it in Recent Changes on wiki, I tried explaining it at the best to my knowledge but it may not be the issue.

Edit: http://wiki2.starsonata.com/index.php/User_talk:SunDog60

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:17 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

I love what you did with the resistances! For me it makes it a lot easier to compare!

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:54 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

I like it also, well done :)

The colour for energy could be better contrast but the rest is awesome! :D

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:17 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 3482

The color for mining is a bit offensive. Also, I much prefer the second option there for layouts.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:04 pm
Contributor

Zekk wrote:
The color for mining is a bit offensive. Also, I much prefer the second option there for layouts.

I'm currently working on the table again and I'm taking the one with the background colors for resists, the second one. I'll also see about using a less bright green than lime.

Also, I may have ship built-in bonuses have it's own row under the stats like the first table just to both add in built-in items where the current mods column is, and throw in skill required to fly the ship, and the bonus to that is that the ship images wont be super narrow and will have some decent verticality available.

(I'll edit my first post as things change)

Let's just say that making that table sortable will take a great deal of effort to do, unlike a normal table, but I'll get it done, so it'll still take me about an hour before I post the latest version of it.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:12 pm
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I don't like scrollable boxes.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:19 pm
Contributor

Antilzah wrote:
I don't like scrollable boxes.

I'll probably make an alternate ships page that features the new tables but without the scrollboxes there, if that helps.
(You aren't exactly explaining why you hate them so I just have to assume the reason...)

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:24 pm
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I feel scrollable boxes are annoying to scroll because sometimes you accidentally scroll wrong scroller.

At some point someone actually added scrollable boxes to some of the wiki pages. Angry mob asked him to change wiki back to original form few days after.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:09 pm
Contributor

Antilzah wrote:
I feel scrollable boxes are annoying to scroll because sometimes you accidentally scroll wrong scroller.

At some point someone actually added scrollable boxes to some of the wiki pages. Angry mob asked him to change wiki back to original form few days after.

And hey look at what I'm doing right now. People don't seem to be angry, so if suddenly people get angry when I do this to most pages of the wiki, it's their fault they failed to see...
A: This forum topic
B: Me talking about it many times in all chat
C: It's already seeable on Capital Ships section, a well looked at spot on wiki, which also links to this forum topic.

Soo, that'd be their fault for not having told me beforehand that they don't like them, like you're doing right now. Which, thanks for letting me know. As I said, I'll see about creating an alternate page for ships page without the scrollboxes, that way you've got the full tables all shown there, if you want that.
I'm hoping to make as many people content with what I do as possible, rather than just cater it around what I want it to be.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:37 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Wiki Ships Page - Feedback Needed
My 2 cents: I'm not a fan of the new resistance display. The colors are jarring and it's hard to see the black/red text on some of them.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:29 pm