Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Dedicate a portion of income to advertising.
Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:04 pm
Yes. 85%  85%  [ 23 ]
No. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27

Main: MeowStick
Level: 4929

Post Advertising.
It's coming to the point where it is clearly noticeable that the amount of players active on the sever has dropped massively. If this carries on, which it has been for too long already, people will just keep leaving until there are a select few who play the game for the sake of it.

Apart from steam, there is no evident source of players in the future. Furthermore, given that none of us are quite sure whether or not SS will ever actually be on steam, the chances of the game striving as it once did are looking slimmer by the day.

My suggestion is that a portion of the money made from subs is used to advertise the game properly. Doing so will eventually increase the number of p2ps in the future, not only raising profits, but also making the game more enjoyable to play.
As a fairly recent player myself in comparison to others I'm not very knowledgeable in regards to exactly how the development team spends yearly earnings, however, given that running costs are quite low for the a server ($1200 per year) and that there are about 400 p2p accounts subbing at $120 a year, it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that there is enough money to be spent on advertising.

Plans as to how the advertising will be carried out will hopefully be discussed if this suggestion is upvoted enough and gains the attention of the devs.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:04 pm
Team: Covenant
Main: Covenant Support Carrier
Level: 3209

Post Re: Advertising.
I agree, actually the reason I starting playing back in 2007 was because of an ad.

My younger brother saw an ad for Star Sonata on some flash game website. He liked it and recommended it to me and here I am now. :lol:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:34 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Agreed, joined the game from an ad on Spaceo.net.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: maniac45x
Level: 5015

this actually has been mentioned before.. but still nothing done about it.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:19 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

This assumes that there's spare income to put towards advertising.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:28 pm

anilv wrote:
This assumes that there's spare income to put towards advertising.

I mean, how are we supposed to know if no one tells us?

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:10 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

They already said they can't get the same bang for the buck as you used to get for banner advertising also

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:11 am
Profile WWW
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

sabre198 wrote:
They already said they can't get the same bang for the buck as you used to get for banner advertising also

That's a bullshit excuse.

I've said it before though, it is Jeff's choice to do what he wants with the money he earns from running Star Sonata, however... I definitely think this game needs some more advertising, more subs = more cash to hire more devs or even to advertise more!

Currently it feels like this game is sinking; nobody has heard from Jeff in months and we rarely get updates on anything important, sure we'll hear from BD once in a while that development is happening on a UI system, or that Jey is doing something behind the scenes but where is the Captain of this ship? What's Jeff doing?

I'd love an update on how his plan for Steam is going, or what Star Sonata's direction is and what he has planned for the future. At the moment it feels like we're just getting a band-aid solution of "Potentially working on some content" wasn't there meant to be a Christmas DG or something?

I get that most devs are volunteers, but that isn't much of an excuse either; if you're volunteering your time, you volunteer it to the project that the director wants you to, not: "Oh, I want to work on this content, so that's what I'll be doing!" It's only recently that Pixel picked up the top Suggestion Proposal of implementing an item tier system and that's after 3 years.

Having more advertising and more players coming in would definitely make this game feel more alive and active and please fix the game trailer, it looks like shit.

/end rant

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:00 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: TranquilityX
Level: 1796

Zeuss wrote:
sabre198 wrote:

That's a bullshit excuse.

I've said it before though, it is Jeff's choice to do what he wants with the money he earns from running Star Sonata, however... I definitely think this game needs some more advertising, more subs = more cash to hire more devs or even to advertise more!

Currently it feels like this game is sinking; nobody has heard from Jeff in months and we rarely get updates on anything important, sure we'll hear from BD once in a while that development is happening on a UI system, or that Jey is doing something behind the scenes but where is the Captain of this ship? What's Jeff doing?

I'd love an update on how his plan for Steam is going, or what Star Sonata's direction is and what he has planned for the future. At the moment it feels like we're just getting a band-aid solution of "Potentially working on some content" wasn't there meant to be a Christmas DG or something?

I get that most devs are volunteers, but that isn't much of an excuse either; if you're volunteering your time, you volunteer it to the project that the director wants you to, not: "Oh, I want to work on this content, so that's what I'll be doing!" It's only recently that Pixel picked up the top Suggestion Proposal of implementing an item tier system and that's after 3 years.

Having more advertising and more players coming in would definitely make this game feel more alive and active and please fix the game trailer, it looks like shit.

/end rant

Accurate, some movement to a better system in this regard would be beneficial not only to the game and its players, but also for more money to be made. You have a really broken foundation down, but if you take the time to fill in the cracks -- you could really profit off something of this size! 8)

If I ever won the lottery, I would send a nice cheque your way to give these players what they deserve.

TranquilityX | TranquilityY | TranquilityZ | ForsakenX | ForsakenY | ForsakenZ | DreamX | DreamY | DreamZ | EternalX | EternalY | EternalZ | AltX | AltY | AltZ | BlackX | BlackY | BlackZ | GodX | GodY | GodZ |

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: maniac45x
Level: 5015

I have no problem volunteering to the marketing side of this game if that is what it takes to be done. Maybe a commercial video ad contest should be done? best wins a prize?

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:34 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

They need to hire a consultant or partner with someone. As much as I love this game and the people who make it happen I feel like the devs don't really know what they want to do or how to go about some things. They know enough make the game and maintain it but make it secessful? Not so good at that. This game is idle at best, more likely it's slowly sinking.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:46 pm

Fyuryus wrote:
They need to hire a consultant or partner with someone. As much as I love this game and the people who make it happen I feel like the devs don't really know what they want to do or how to go about some things. They know enough make the game and maintain it but make it secessful? Not so good at that. This game is idle at best, more likely it's slowly sinking.

Agreed. Jeff&Co. seem to have no business sense.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:55 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Easy saying that when the only business you are running is a shop in free market

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:43 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
Easy saying that when the only business you are running is a shop in free market

Ring actually :lol:

And yea it is easy to say that. Especially when there will probably be zero feedback in this thread about what business things are actually being done in the background.

Rebuttal from the admins would be nice :D.

But that aside, you would think that if you want a game to grow, you would reinvest the income from the game back into the game somehow. Be that hiring devs, graphic designers, paying for advertising, upgrading servers, whatever. Money makes things happen and we desperately want things to happen so, let's do it.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:54 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

I don't think there is a lot of spare cash after operating costs on this game. At least not enough to hire someone. So finding a volunteer with work ethics would probably be the easiest. That and I guess everyone is free to market the game on their own time. Posting in other forums and such.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next