Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Dedicate a portion of income to advertising.
Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:04 pm
Yes. 85%  85%  [ 23 ]
No. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27

Team: Electric Sheep
Main: Rogue Amoeba
Level: 2591

Post Re: Advertising.
redalert150 wrote:

This is true, perhaps not going completely quiet, but something like a steam release could bring in a ton of long time players if the early game was polished. Or it could end up like the reddit space invasion, SS simply wasnt ready for something like that and it still isnt.

I'm aware of an influx of players from a post on reddit, but I don't know what happened - Wasn't playing at the time. I guess most left?

I'll make a bold statement and say that Steam will do fuck all. It's like Kickstarter, it's a delivery mechanism and not a discovery platform. You'll get some traffic, but it will be really underwhelming. Unless you drive traffic there, you'll be out of luck.
I could be wrong as my background is more IoT, but it wouldn't surprise me.

redalert150 wrote:
Another thing, whats one of the 1st things a player does when he hears about a game and wants to try it out? He youtubes videos of the game or googles it. There isnt much at all when you google/youtube SS (there is a awesome video of Zalistar raging though 5/7 must watch). We need some more trailers and just awesome videos of stuff happening. Would be cool if we had some videos of all the expansions (Mira, UZ, Oly, Subspace, PPS) with the SS tutorial bot voice narrating them. Even one for all the ubers would be pretty cool.

Spot on.
This is cheap guerrilla marketing that would help spread the word... And it can be done by the community.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:13 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Quote:
I'm aware of an influx of players from a post on reddit, but I don't know what happened - Wasn't playing at the time. I guess most left?

I'll make a bold statement and say that Steam will do fuck all. It's like Kickstarter, it's a delivery mechanism and not a discovery platform. You'll get some traffic, but it will be really underwhelming. Unless you drive traffic there, you'll be out of luck.
I could be wrong as my background is more IoT, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Yea we had a ton of new people from reddit, only 5 or so maybe subbed? I think 2 actually still check on the game every now and then. That number could of been way higher, enough to have another a whole other team in the mix (Reddit Space Invaders).

As for steam, i think it will be similar to the reddit thing. If these players have a great experience SS gets a decent rep from word of mouth. Well retain 5-10 people which would be great, those guys would then get their buddies to join so on a so fourth. At the moment i dont see how someone being new to this game would get addicted in the state it is. Hopefully i have no idea what im talking about and this game is addicting to others as it is to me :lol:

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:24 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Around 5000 people over 5 days came to SS from Reddit. Of those 5000, about 500 escaped the Nexus. Those 500 or so got help from people that wanted to promote the game (eg Camsy). Of the 500 that escaped the Nexus, 50 of them got to level 150, nearly all of them on Reddit Space Invaders. Of the 50 that got to level 150, about 30 reached level 1000, all on RSI. By the end of the first universe (month 3), about 20 Redditors were left, all on RSI. The end of the second universe (month 6), there were 4 Redditors left and none were on RSI due to Zerko sabotaging the team by compromising SS password security.

Daedalus, Camsy, Spatzz, Fugue, and I were notified of what went wrong. So far, only one of those issues has ever been addressed.

1. Nexus became overcrowded and nothing was done. A year later, the issue was brought before the dev meeting (they refused the request for a whole fucking year). Was deemed a non-problem and nothing done to address future overcrowding.

2. Missions were confusing walls of texts using jargon, slang, and local english dialects. The texts have been addressed, but the missions do not point toward all the little PVE content hubs. Direction in SS was horrible at best.

3. The grind is real. Without delving into pure power leveling tactics, it takes on average 7500 kills to reach level 1500, which was where the bulk of the playerbase and content was located.

4. Low and mid level content is complete shit. People felt forced to jump on the FC bandwagon rather than play the damn game. Blue Dwarf even told people some classes were deliberately designed to suck massive dick at the earlier levels and they should go FC instead. Barely any of the mid level content was touched by the Reddit team.

5. Bases are REQUIRED for crafting and progressing. Most of the Redditors did not like to build bases (or even deploy kits).

6. Bases were weak as shit. 20 bases and active defenders from T12 to T20 (T20 HQ, 4 T16's, 4 T14's, some T12/T9, a Panther SD, and a Dreadnought FC) were PVB'd by a single lousy Speed Demon and his Shield Monkey. This is the single thing that was addressed. Took intervention from the most powerful alliance (EF and SP) at the time to prevent total loss.

7. Camsy didn't give out his f2p's password. Somehow Zerko still managed to obtain it. And then used it, and DIE account (blaming stupid stiffy) to blow up most of RSI's bases. I doubt Camsy was at fault. The admins did not actually bother to do anything until Sam sabotaged TDC's entire team, a sabotage so big it conned a meme Samotage.

8. No one from the Reddit Invasion actually liked, accepted, or tolerated the fact Multi-clienting existed in such an easy to use form that gave the individual player a massive boost in capabilities. They hated that things were added to the game to promote Multi-clienting by making it even easier for them to function.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:16 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Zeuss wrote:
Why in the ever-loving fuck would you compare this game to EVE? You're digging your own grave by doing that... Eve players are going to be among the first to look at your ad and then tear you apart on every minor detail they can. Seriously, that was fucking stupid.

We actually did 27 different ad campaigns on Reddit, targeting various subreddits and with various ad text to see what would work. That particular ad was actually one of the most successful because it was probably the most link-baity one of all of them. That one cost $50 and got 5 new players. The main issue with Reddit advertising is that when you target a specific subreddit, there just isn't that much inventory, and I definitely saw that doing subsequent ads to the same subreddit had diminishing returns, because the people already saw the ad the first time around.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

JeffL wrote:
Zeuss wrote:
Why in the ever-loving fuck would you compare this game to EVE? You're digging your own grave by doing that... Eve players are going to be among the first to look at your ad and then tear you apart on every minor detail they can. Seriously, that was fucking stupid.

We actually did 27 different ad campaigns on Reddit, targeting various subreddits and with various ad text to see what would work. That particular ad was actually one of the most successful because it was probably the most link-baity one of all of them. That one cost $50 and got 5 new players. The main issue with Reddit advertising is that when you target a specific subreddit, there just isn't that much inventory, and I definitely saw that doing subsequent ads to the same subreddit had diminishing returns, because the people already saw the ad the first time around.

As far as I'm aware, the Reddit invasion was a shitpost by Ryan making fun of another game that had tried to post about how it was in beta and good and it was some dinosaur game that had no real content. We mimic'ed that to get to front page, but our game was actually a game that people could play. I was with Bageese and Si in the comments trying to guide people where to go. Explaining to everyone why the server was down, too many people were logging on. Coaching the few noobs that straggled to the subreddit (which has tanked entirely due to no one posting useful stuff).

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:04 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

JeffL wrote:
Zeuss wrote:

Please just work with your community. Find the few people whom you can tolerate (Probably not me, but if I am one I volunteer) and figure out how to involve them in strengthening the game from a players perspective. You have people who, if you set out a challenge, would do what you asked!

If you said "We want 30 seconds of 1080p video of a player going into Arctia/Vulcan/Mira/The Jungle/Bonnet/Whatever and killing stuff, we'll use part of the clips we like the most and make shit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luy_yLAksp0" you'd get tons of submissions. You could then pick and choose which video you would use and voila, you've got stuff to post on youtube that you can then post CHALLENGES for players of SS to meet!

"Hey guys, we've got a new video up! Like and share the video on Facebook/Youtube/Reddit/Whatever. Once we get 100/200/300/1k likes we'll give you guys double XP!"

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:10 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Churchill you forgot point 9 where you sat in nexus pming them to quit and telli g them how this game was pay2win Etc etc and how bad it was.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:20 am
Profile WWW
Main: king kone
Level: 37

MasterTrader wrote:
If you said "We want 30 seconds of 1080p video of a appropriately level player going into Arctia/Vulcan/Mira/The Jungle/Bonnet/Whatever and killing stuff, we'll use part of the clips we like the most and make shit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luy_yLAksp0" you'd get tons of submissions. You could then pick and choose which video you would use and voila, you've got stuff to post on youtube that you can then post CHALLENGES for players of SS to meet!

Fixed. There are videos of iirc, an AWC in nooby dungeons.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:55 am
Main: Monomaxos
Level: 705

In my opinion, as someone new, Star Sonata 2 is a great game but as someone who did play EVE 3 years I believe while there are a few common points to this game(eg base building) its closer and more likely to attract Star Control series fans. How I found the game is a bit unusual - I was checking steam greenlight on a game that looked graphically similar with Star Control 2 and one user commented that game looked like Star Sonata. So i searched Star Sonata first on youtube which proved me this is the closest online game to Star Control. Then I found the game site through google. My point is its likely to get new players among Star Control fans(example check Ur-Quan masters forums) In my opinion the game definitely needs steam release + at least occasional advertising. Second would be the new players are most likely to follow questlines(its what I did and mostly I still do) to get some sense of direction in the gameplay so its important the early questlines to be as bug free as possible and quest texts to be carefully examined. Initially its not an easy game for someone to get into and tutorial leaves a lot of questions to be answered - and at least back when I played tutorial line the mission to fetch something within a time limit had wrong text on where to go and had difficulty finding - initially thought the game bugged and made new account. Usually a new player is won or lost the first 2-5 hours of gameplay cause the more deep one goes into a game the higher chance is to stay

Last edited by rebbieforever on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:11 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Well there's some good feedback from a new player for you :)

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:49 am
Contributor

rebbieforever wrote:
In my opinion, as someone new, Star Sonata 2 is a great game but as someone who did play EVE 3 years I believe while there are a few common points to this game(eg base building) its closer and more likely to attract Star Control series fans. How I found the game is a bit unusual - I was checking steam greenlight on a game that looked graphically similar with Star Control 2 and one user commented that game looked like Star Sonata. So i searched Star Sonata first on youtube which proved me this is the closest online game to Star Control. Then I found the game site through google. My point is its likely to get new players among Star Control fans(example check Ur-Quan masters forums) In my opinion the game definitely needs steam release + at least occasional advertising. Second would be the new players are most likely to follow questlines(its what I did and mostly I still do) to get some sense of direction in the gameplay so its important the early questlines to be as bug free as possible and quest texts to be carefully examined. Initially its not an easy game for someone to get into and tutorial leaves a lot of questions to be answered - and at least back when I played tutorial line the mission to fetch something within a time limit had wrong text on where to go and had difficulty finding - initially thought the game bugged and made new account. Usually a new player is won or lost the first 2-5 hours of gameplay cause the more deep one goes into a game the higher chance is to stay

Oh gee wonder what I've been saying all these years.

Wait until this guy gets to level 150-200... his tune will change if he didn't pick an OP class. He will stay, and will flounder around level 200 if he doesn't figure out he has to pick a "leveling" class.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:11 am
Main: Monomaxos
Level: 705

I am a Shield Monkey and I do intend to stay in game and I dont mind if I level slower :P

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:04 pm
Contributor

I hope you do. As long as you like using Slaves/Drones/Missiles/Fighters you'll find doing the midgame content a breeze. Kinda lucky you're playing a ShM as well.

Hope you do well and stay. :)

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:11 pm
Team: Royal Corporation
Main: Horaf
Level: 3314

I am a professional Opera singer, Actor, and Narrator. I'd be willing to help create information videos to help new players with strategy for how to level without hitting those barriers. Also, to teach them a bit about late-game politics, how to build in Wild space without inviting undue attention from players who like to punish those who do not build well, etc.

I'd be willing to do this for free - for the game and for the community, if you guys think it might help. Even better if anyone is willing to help make video clips of their pilots doing various things in the game, to show exactly what we want new players to know.

Thoughts?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:45 pm
Main: Dominator
Level: 2514

If Jeff came online and dedicated a volunteer Business Development Manager that was on a commision structure then this game would have a chance. The person would need to be someone that has a true passion for this game but a business minded approach. Payment would be commision from any new players that sign up as a p2p. Youtube, Facebook and Twitter are perfect advertising platforms for this game. If something isnt done soon this game will flop.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:02 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next