Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Post Re: Star Sonata 1
thecrazygamemaster wrote:
Blue Dwarf wrote:
thecrazygamemaster wrote:
It's not necessary to return to 2D, just to make the new 3D models look as good as the C1 sprites did. Most of the 3D models look like an art intern made them, not to mention the texture work.

Good artists are hard to find, and cost a lot of money. Not to mention we don't want to overload users of lower end computers, although perhaps we have more wiggle room now Jey has made more optimizations.

Yeah, you and I have discussed the ridiculous poly limits before. How "low end" are we talking? 2GB RAM and a 32mb graphics card? Intel Core 2 Duo? I'm sorry, but if you have a computer like that in 2016 you don't deserve to play video games.

I have no idea, I don't have data for that. Jey might be able to provide some and they could potentially be raised.

andsimo wrote:
Don't really need to turn it into a sprite? In Photoshop (Premium) you can just paste the old picture and the texture / sprite makes it self, you also need to have imported the 3D model.

Photoshop costs a lot of monies and I don't think anyone uses it, a quick count gives 536 .obj files in the svn currently, such a process would have to be automated, but creating flat images has other problems when it comes to rendering like doing shadows correctly.

MasterTrader wrote:
Can we please do something about the look of the game Blue? Its not coherent, nor is the camera angle aesthetically pleasing. If locking the angle allows you guys and gals to pretty the game up without the headache of worrying about how it looks from multiple angles, then by all means do that! Don't release the game to Steam in its current state or you will be presenting a sub par representation of what Star Sonata is, and honestly a graphical tweak that would allow you to make the game look much better doesn't make any sense not to follow through on. :(.

I dunno, Jeff likes it on the side for some reason, I think. Last I heard from Jey the orthographic mode still needed a little bit of work I recall. I'd really like to change the engine particle system but it requires edits to the client source code (which I have), but getting it to build in my 'slightly' odd environment isn't particularly easy (I run linux, it uses Windows stuff).

Support

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:04 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Jeff must be one of the 10 people that actually plays in the tilted view then :P
It's actually a handicap to play in tilted view. You can't see nearly as much as when you'd play in birds eye view

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Last edited by DarkSteel on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:11 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Blue Dwarf wrote:
I dunno, Jeff likes it on the side for some reason, I think. Last I heard from Jey the orthographic mode still needed a little bit of work I recall. I'd really like to change the engine particle system but it requires edits to the client source code (which I have), but getting it to build in my 'slightly' odd environment isn't particularly easy (I run linux, it uses Windows stuff).

Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:31 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Blue Dwarf wrote:
ELITE wrote:
returning to C1 means new start or loosing the last five years of both player's and our work.

Make a C1 server as the seasonal universes!

Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:58 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Blue Dwarf wrote:
ELITE wrote:
returning to C1 means new start or loosing the last five years of both player's and our work.

Make a C1 server as the seasonal universes!

Oh fuck you now I need this.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:19 am
Main: JuicyGuy
Level: 28

Blue Dwarf wrote:
juicy wrote:
I actually liked the C1 UI. Just add the hotkey bar to it and you'd be good to go.

The C2 UI is customizable, I was actually working on a C1 UI for C2 many years ago (around 2011 or 2012). Unfortunately I never finished it and it'll mostly be broken by now with changes from over the years. It looked roughly like this at the time

The problem here is that now you've got a bunch of windows taking of the game area in the C2 UI. You can move them around, sure, but they're still cluttering up the game area, which is extremely annoying when you want to click on stuff that's under those windows. If you could customize the UI in a way that lets you dedicate areas of the program window to UI only so that they were outside of the gameplay area, I'd be all for it.

Also, I like the UI you linked.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:42 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

you would of thought the pesky "C1 Mob" would of clubbed their skills together by now and created such a UI

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Content Dev

juicy wrote:
The problem here is that now you've got a bunch of windows taking of the game area in the C2 UI. You can move them around, sure, but they're still cluttering up the game area, which is extremely annoying when you want to click on stuff that's under those windows. If you could customize the UI in a way that lets you dedicate areas of the program window to UI only so that they were outside of the gameplay area, I'd be all for it.

Also, I like the UI you linked.

Jey added some parameter to offset the "centre" of the screen where your own ship is rendered to facilitate that kind of UI, meaning you could make some UI pane (like the inventory/map/target box on the left in C1) and move the ship over so it doesn't look odd.

Support

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:51 am
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

ELITE wrote:
I'd be all for getting rid of the tilted view and forcing Orthographic all the time though.

I use tilted view 100% of the time. I love it. Makes me feel like I'm playing Diablo in space.

As for the rest of the threads here. The colloquial definition of nostalgia is when your brain remembers the past being better than it actually was in reality...

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:01 pm
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

I do one tilt down, it extends your view slightly and I just keep south of whatever I am fighting to maintain that advantage.

Also the models look terrible if they're flat.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:16 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Well, I guess I don't care much between top-down and 1-tilt. I would be fine with the game being fixed at an angle of 1-tilt and having the models replaced by high quality sprites.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:39 pm
Content Dev

anilv wrote:
Well, I guess I don't care much between top-down and 1-tilt. I would be fine with the game being fixed at an angle of 1-tilt and having the models replaced by high quality sprites.

Not sure if that'd look weird or not due to the loss of perspective (yet the clearly obvious perspective camera). Also might be awkward to deal with having the camera being slightly offset (causing stuff to look closer together nearer the bottom).

Then again, with the camera panning feature, is tilting even needed?

Support

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:20 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

anilv wrote:

The tilt gives me migraines. So I have to use orthographic camera.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:43 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

ELITE wrote:
anilv wrote:

The tilt gives me migraines. So I have to use orthographic camera.

Same.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:53 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Tilting sucks. Just lock it on orthocam please! :wink:

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:31 pm