Main: JuicyGuy
Level: 28

Post Star Sonata 1
So is the original Star Sonata gone forever? I was recently reminded of this and really wanted to come back and play this. But SS2 didn't really look appealing, so I tried looking everywhere for any kind of survival of SS1 but couldn't find any. I've tried playing SS2, and it just really doesn't have the same feel that I loved so much about 1.

This feels like Runescape all over again, really. Going from great "old" graphics to low-quality "new" graphics and adding a WoW-style action bar. I just don't get it.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:49 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Star Sonata 1
The code is all there, but we can't go back. C2 was a lot more than just a graphical change. I'd be all for getting rid of the tilted view and forcing Orthographic all the time though.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:29 am

I'd love to see the SS1 source code released. I hate seeing games just cease to exist, which will probably be the case here.

Oh well, I guess I'll give 2 more of a chance.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:44 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

juicy wrote:
I'd love to see the SS1 source code released. I hate seeing games just cease to exist, which will probably be the case here.

Pay Jeff for the rights and he might sell you them.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:54 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
ELITE wrote:
juicy wrote:

Not bloody likely.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:40 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

ELITE wrote:
juicy wrote:

If he did that he would lose his entire current playerbase.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:10 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

juicy wrote:

Funny guy. Why exactly would this be in Jeff's economic interest?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:24 am

anilv wrote:
Funny guy. Why exactly would this be in Jeff's economic interest?

Releasing the source code doesn't mean you have to give it a free license. Space Engineers did it, and it's still a commerical product that makes money. But yeah I can understand if they didn't want to do that for fear of a private server taking players away, which is why I said:

juicy wrote:
I hate seeing games just cease to exist, which will probably be the case here.

An alternative server running the old version would be nice, though. I'd definitely try to get all my friends on board for that.

Last edited by juicy on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:34 am
Team: Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 3482

I've always found the phenomenon of nostalgia fascinating. Why would people want to return to "the good ole days" of SS1? It is not because it was a better game, but because people have fond memories of it. If it were available today, I rather suspect that people would not play it much because it kinda sucked.

SS1 had...
The worst inventory management system ever.
No transwarpers.
No hotkeys. (the OP must not have been an engineer, or he might appreciate this instead of thumbing his nose)
No RTS-style slave controls.

Need I go on? It might be fun sometime to get people to list the things they hated about SS1 which are much better in SS2. It would be a good relief from the constant trickle of nostalgic people.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:08 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The only thing that C1 had over C2 is graphics. This 2.5D is terrible and I think everything would look insanely crisp now if they just sticked to 2D.

Makes me wonder if it's too late to lock Ortho Cam and go back to 2D...

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:08 am

Zekk wrote:
I've always found the phenomenon of nostalgia fascinating. Why would people want to return to "the good ole days" of SS1? It is not because it was a better game, but because people have fond memories of it. If it were available today, I rather suspect that people would not play it much because it kinda sucked.

SS1 had...
No transwarpers.
No hotkeys. (the OP must not have been an engineer, or he might appreciate this instead of thumbing his nose)

Need I go on? It might be fun sometime to get people to list the things they hated about SS1 which are much better in SS2. It would be a good relief from the constant trickle of nostalgic people.

C2 is starting to grow on me a bit, and it probably is just nostalgia, honestly. But you've got to admit the new art style is complete ass. Also, are the systems smaller? C1 was quite a long time ago, but I swear the systems seem WAY more condensed.

I'm not actually sure what C stands for, but everyone seems to be saying C1 and C2 rather than SS1 and SS2.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:24 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

juicy wrote:
Zekk wrote:

SS1 had...
No transwarpers.

C2 is starting to grow on me a bit, and it probably is just nostalgia, honestly. But you've got to admit the new art style is complete ass. Also, are the systems smaller? C1 was quite a long time ago, but I swear the systems seem WAY more condensed.

I'm not actually sure what C stands for, but everyone seems to be saying C1 and C2 rather than SS1 and SS2.

Client 1 and Client 2

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:46 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

They could bring back that nostalgia by simply locking Ortho view and really pushing the VFX. Really hate the shitty ass engine effects we have now, for instance, and if I remember right a major reason why they didn't devote time to doing it is because they couldn't get them to look right in 3D and 2D. Meanwhile...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20700/

Look at the system requirements for this piece of shit game that looks so much better than the game we have... that was made back in 2003.

Supported OS: Windows
Processor: Pentium II 300 MHz or higher
Memory: 128Mb or more free system memory
Hard disk space: 100Mb
DirectX version: DirectX 8 or higher
Video: Any Hardware 3D graphics accelerator with 32Mb or more of onboard memory
Sound: Any DirectSound compatible soundcard
Controller: Any Direct compatible pad

I honestly believe SS developers could do a better job than those developers if they made a firm commitment, drew up a 6month+ plan, and did it. They already have a particle system that's been streamlined by Jey, just lock the camera and start sprucing the game up...

EDIT: Oh yeah...

Ands not the one with those stupid ass black marks. The shiny white surface with the black mark on the back for the engine. THATS the Zebucart, and it looks so much better than flying a miniature dick...

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Dropping 3D entirely and going back to 2D would be so much better. I loved the sprites for C1. Having flat sprites also just feels more consistent, which makes collisions for projectiles feel more like they actually connect with what they hit. Sprites also felt more "solid" and robust if that makes sense; right now everything feels hollow. The current Bulk Trader in particular is something that really just looks hollow. The spinning parts seem really unnecessary, and make the hitbox seem disconnected.

How many people are for or against the 3D, anyway? I'd imagine there was a lot people had to say about it when it first came around, but I wasn't here for that.

Also, I don't want to seem like I've only got bad things to say about the game. I really do like it and think it's extremely unique. Playing C1 long ago was some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. This game really deserves more popularity.

EDIT: The Enforcer had a pretty good sprite. It had the 'simple yet good' feel, which I think is a really good art direction.

Attachment:
star sonata enforcer.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:35 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Would say maybe 10% of the game truly enjoy the lower quality 3D over the higher quality, sharper 2D from Client 1.

However, everyone who liked the 2D agree that all the client optimization from C2 is night and day difference goodness. If the admins could take all the client upgrades from SS2, and just use the original 2D design, then I think this game would have more sticking power.

Then the next job would be to fix all the balance bullshit. The admins all like to take the dirty way out when it comes to actual game balance, which has massively adverse effects on the game just so they get the job done asap.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:20 pm