Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: SS Economy
sabre198 wrote:
anilv wrote:

It sounds like you didn't have enough friends available to do the content you wanted to do. To keep you around, the game would either have to have been bigger or have offered you endgame content that could could solo. Is that accurate?

Yeh like these guys say not enough people and the people who are here are benevolent old guarders with 3+ accounts doing the content themselves solo who don't really want to share (can't blame them as they are funding 3+ accounts)

Hober:

What glaring issues?

1. Exploit t+1 issue
You say come down hard on it like it's easily detectable when it happens. By the time admins have a sniff of it it's already permeated through the game. Cash has a habit of that it doesn't just go one layer out from the exploiter. What you going to do ban everyone? The guy who sold something on trade to someone innocently? This game doesn't have the issues it had back before 2009, those wild wild west days of exploitation are done. Your argument of "We shouldn't do it because exploits will happen again." doesn't work in this situation because the harm that they would cause is less than the harm already caused in this game. This game doesn't have t+1 exploit issues. It has ^t+1 issues, because every exploit compounded on every other exploit. If we have people finding ways to exploit in the future, the admins have better tools and a much more solid staff. This game does NOT have the insane rollback issues it used to have, and that's just ONE example. This game is fundamentally different than it used to be. The current devs are much more capable of preventing an exploit from getting out of hand than the previous devs were.

2. Someone buying accounts t+1.
A uni in someone starts account trading and gaps themselves way ahead of everyone else MCing only works when the characters that you are MCing are strong enough to last without moment to moment input from you. There simply aren't enough stats available to players, even if the game is 3+ universes old, for them to have a character capable of healing with minimal to no input. It would be even harder than it currently is.

If you think its possible, take yourself to go do The Serengeti with your 3 accounts with only gear, ships and augs that do not come from The Serengeti or higher. You won't be able to do it. In order to MC stuff you have to out gear the content on all of your characters. You can't do The Serengeti if your ShM is constantly getting popped/can't heal your Berserker in 3 shots.

The same is true in Iq Bana, Lunacy, Rumble Mumble, Snake Hole, Copper, Dark Curse, Albatross, etc. Those bosses will kick your ass if you only take gear you can build prior to Serengeti into there with a couple of accounts... And lets say you want to use modded gear. Yeah, you can do that. And get random 1/2/3 modded stuff with a lucky pair of mods every once in a while. You're not going to get perfectly modded stuff.

And if you spend all that Bindomite and time and money getting that gear, well you're not a wise one. Because why would a wise one waste all that on Pre T22 content? Unless they need to in order to get to T22...

3. Knowledge gap issue
You can't reset knowledge, people will quickly gap on knowledge alone. Within one year the gap between new starters and new old guard will be wide again. What you going to do reset again?

Most of the knowledge gap has been breached. People know what Astral Injection does now. People know how Aug Tweak works now. Those resources are well explained in game. People know where to get skills, we have books and missions that tell you. We have missions that teach the basics of Base building, making that a mission whose chain starts in Sol helps with that.

We have galaxies like Arctia/Vulcan/Mira/The Jungle. Putting the start of those chains in Sol helps with that.

About the only thing that people don't know about is the power of Mods and where to get certain commodities like Microbes and other niche stuff. Hints here and there are more than enough to suffice, just TELL people what the things are. You don't need to tell them how to do it or why its important, just what its used for.

What other knowledge issues do we have? XYZ gear blue prints are on bases, bases are gonna have slots. Are you saying players need to know the best way to level? They don't need to know that. All the old players will farm the hell out of Subspace with XP tweaks, so what. They still are going to have to build stuff in order to get past the mid game Gate Keepers. Knowledge is one thing, but if you don't have the resources your knowledge is useless. People would actually have to fight over resources in order to progress faster, which would encourage cooperation and wars. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better than this stagnancy we have.

Quote:
I don't care how "pro" high end players think they are, if the game was reset entirely and the classes made to have CLEAR strengths and weaknesses early game,

So a reset AND a rebalance then, gee not much work then?

The admins are already considering how they want to balance the classes ability to progress. So its not like we're asking them to do something they aren't already doing.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:16 pm
Team: Zygort Traders
Main: Vorporal
Level: 5483

I know less of SS's long and storied history than Hober and even im aware of some bugs that caused disruption and sent people inactive or sent them packing from the game. Thats saying something!

In its current state the SS econ is floundering due in part to its top heavy structure, new blood cant reach the top because its being crushed under-boot. Sadly the players at the top are rent seekers by nature. They want the status quo because it is in their interests to ensure it never changes, in this they seal their own eventual demise.

The good news is we CAN have it both ways!

As I (and many before me) suggested a secondary server is a rather workable solution because it presents both a way for the old guard to enjoy the rightfully earned spoils of their efforts whilst giving anyone who wants to a chance to move into a new, untouched universe. The proof will be in the number of players who move vs those who stay.

This cant happen with the current player numbers, it would fragment the base too much. If, however, the steam launch does attract a large number of players we have a historic and singular chance to change the whole dynamic. If the new server tanks then transfer the players on it into the old one no harm done. But if it takes off EVERYONE has more fun, even the old guard.

It will NEVER result in a perfectly stable and equitable game, its not meant to and that is fine. The issue, as its been yaked about by many, many people over the years, is that we have compounded the issue so many times that it presents a clear and present threat the to game itself. Unwinding this is impossible, its just never going to happen to matter how many credit sinks and item sinks are introduced.

Such patchwork answers just transmute the liquid cash advantage into a permanent skill/item advantage, not a permanent fix. As Hober points out a fresh start can undo all the varied structural advantages the old guard enjoy that new players cannot attain without huge help, real world trades or plain up insane luck.

This is not about burning the old guard, they have been portrayed as somehow at fault which is not the case. They, by and large, played by the rules and were rewarded. The issue lies in the fact that if they want to continue to enjoy the game longer term they will be hardest hit by ANY changes made to combat their out sized influence on the game. This suggestion just takes it to a new level with the hope of riding the steam release to produce a workable result for everyone. If a old guard player is quite happy with how the game stands they will stay on the server and never move, easy win. If they want to take a chance they can just play both and if they enjoy the new competitiveness and hopefully dynamic server so they stick around on it and make a new universe work. No issues either way.

Vorp

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:09 am
Team: Zygort Traders
Main: Vorporal
Level: 5483

It should be noted that a lot of the content at the lower levels has never been experienced by the old guard in the way it was meant to. Every time new content is released below end game the super-players can roll it with virtually no effort and do so if they bother to at all.

I suspect that playing the game from the ground up as it was 'meant' to be played will be a very different experience now compared to how they did it so long ago. In reality steam-rolling a boss isn't half as much fun as getting together with a bunch of allies and just barely defeating a tough challenges.

Games are meant to be played in the edge of control and not from a position of overwhelming superiority. Something I think the current players have forgotten

That's an emotion based argument for anyone who cares, not a single empirical fact involved =)
Vorp

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:28 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

why don't you start a thread and ask for people to pledge their Support for a new server that way Jeff can see the numbers. What sort of money per year do you think a second server coasts and how many subs would be break even point do you think?

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Main: king kone
Level: 37

40 subs would break even.

Could even repurpose the Test Server since it's rarely used as usually being outdated by 6 months. Livetest is typically up to date and should be the main "test" server.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:50 am

gogogo then

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Team: Salt and Pepper
Main: CLXXXIII
Level: 6059

the only way to earn credits without a run is farming dgs which takes longer and longer so more you progress to earn the money for the builds you want to do.

i just want something i can farm with 3 people which is so boring or needs time that Multiaccounters dont like to do. Something that Mcers can do to make even more money maybe some commodies to produce a better factorie which makes them again better items to sell to Ai bases.

So i can have some of the 30- 50 b a day money they make.

Dementium is at 800 mio...

Ppieces you cant talk about anymore.

i dont care about the money that gets made everyday by colonies or Ys.
i just want a way that i can get a piece of that cake from this multiaccounters that isnt accountbound so that they cant benifit by even suping more chars.

i just want to have fun with 1-2 people without the need to sup more than 1 account.

What i would like are small items that drop in runs that benifit you in the long run which you can roll for with the people that you play with.
Sure Mcers will just benifit again more from it but when 98% of all loot in the game is worthless and you have nothing to roll for in a run with 8 diffrent people which dont multiaccount or share accounts.

The level item which you could sell again to Mcers and crazy people which just want to have the highest level in game.

I could just go to friends that dont play anymore too.
Share accounts with them and laugh at people who dont do it but for me thats just lazy.

Its like the bullet king in The Division and you dont take it from the game after a week because everybody does it.

If you messsage me in private chat that shareing accounts isnt allowed and i cant talk about it. Ask yourself where is the diffrence between Sharing 6 accounts between 3 people or 1 guy who owns 5 accounts and solos all content non.

Sure in the end its comes down to groups of multiaccounter which just group together so they can play a game which wasnt designed to get such small player numbers but it isnt fun for solo players to look at teams that have like 10 players but own 40 accounts.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:11 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I for one don't think a new server is the way to go. The only time I think a new server should be considered is if the current one is getting overcrowded, and atm we're nowhere near that point. It all sounds like fun and games but starting over from scratch without any kind of civilization will create so many chokepoints on so much content that it'd be a great annoyance. The game is created around it having an endgame playerbase. The best practical example I can give of this is the colony suit nerfs that the Subspace layer pushes out over time. Without any endgamers it would be at maximum negativity at all times. Then besides that there'd ofcourse be the lack of a market and economy.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:19 am

I think they are on about an extra server whilst keeping the original one up for serious players. Then the grief squad crew can be be kings of it for a month or two until they realise its effort to keep up with the best players then they will ask for a third server :lol:

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Joshua102
Level: 14714

I really do not want anther server to break apart the activity into two different groups. People who say they want another server don't understand how much time and money we put into this one and don't want to see them running off into a new server. Keep the game how it is and add on it not break it apart.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I'm still not convinced that there is any problem. Hober and Vorp have been arguing that there is a progression problem for mid-level players. They have different perspectives but it's something like the following.

Vorp: there isn't a big enough cohort of mid-level players to progress through content the way veterans did. The SS community can be modeled as a wave going through the endgame content, with very low player density behind it. This is as may be, but would obviously be solved by… injecting a bunch of new players i.e. starting a new wave. I remain unconvinced by the arguments about relative states of the economy then and now, since players can always resort to doing things the old fashioned way (grinding content for gear) if the player-driving market is too pricey for them.

Hober: mid-level players feel sad when endgamers tell them that they are wasting their time with anything but the top gear. Since they can't obtain the top gear this week, they get super salty and whip out their credit cards instead. Never mind the fact that it took endgamers years to get all that cool stuff.

So yeah, I'm not convinced by these arguments.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:53 am
Team: Public Enemy
Main: The Architect
Level: 157

Hober is QQ because he just sucks at this game. He sees the people who are making it in the game having multiple accts and he gets butthurt over it. If he was on a real team they'd show him how to make bases, advance his alts and do content in a group setting. I remember a while ago we was QQ because of how boring a shm was..... :lol:

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:56 am
over 9000!

What I don't understand is that we have people wringing their hands for all the poor mid-level players who are so impatient to get decked out in endgame goodies, and yet aren't interested in joining endgame teams and getting twinked out. As I see it, there are basically three demographics of mid-level players, and group #2 is getting an awful lot of sympathy that they don't really deserve:

1) Mid-level player is impatient to get to endgame, joins endgame team and succeeds.
2) Mid-level player is impatient to get to endgame, but doesn't join an endgame team for some reason. Gets mad that they can't somehow carry themselves to endgame in a month. This is the group Hober is championing.
3) Mid-level player has more realistic expectations about progression. Does what they can with the resources they have, takes a few years to get there but enjoys what the game has to offer along the way.

I don't see why we should want to market primarily to group #2. Those are the players who aspire to be hardcore endgamers, but aren't actually interested in either putting in the long hours to carry themselves there or befriending current endgamers who can help move the process along. Who the fuck are these people, anyway? And why exactly should SS cater to them?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:08 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

pocket9s wrote:
Hober is QQ because he just sucks at this game. He sees the people who are making it in the game having multiple accts and he gets butthurt over it. If he was on a real team they'd show him how to make bases, advance his alts and do content in a group setting. I remember a while ago we was QQ because of how boring a shm was..... :lol:

I'm not QQ because I suck at the game. Wtf? I've never had any intention of being uber, in fact in this thread:

MasterTrader wrote:
Meanwhile, I can't say or do shit to prevent that from happening because I:

Don't MC.
Don't Build Bases.

These are my choices, and these choices mean that I don't have the ability to sink tons of credits and such into the game. Not blaming ANYONE for my choices.

I've been on "real teams" who wanted to show me how to make bases and who advised multi clienting. I said no because that's not how I wanted to play the game, I just simply don't enjoy the way this game has handled bases in the past (Maybe it will improve in the future) and I accept the consequences for that. I still think those consequences are ridiculous, but I accepted them. I'm not MCing because I find MCing to be distasteful. I don't want to play a Massively Singleplayer Online Game, I could easily sub 3 accounts right now (Engineer, Shield Monkey, Berserker/Sniper) and farm the ever loving shit out of the Serengeti/T20 content and other DGs to get credits/gear/augs/blueprints so that I would be able to do the other tech 21 content before trying to tackle Olympus. I am aware of what I would need to do it, and how much bindomite and gear I'd have to go through. I know how to do it, I just don't find it fun!

I'd rather sink that time and those resources into players who are new instead of spreading them over 3 different accounts.

I've played this game for so long, I know about how people used to make their money. I specifically chose not to participate in that for various reasons. I specifically chose not to run with people who were power farming content because I wanted to run with people who hadn't experienced it yet and who would be excited to do it. I never found those people, because a lot of them quit before they even got past level 100. I have no jealousy towards those doing well, I have irritation and frustration towards them because they do not see how the way the game is currently can be limiting what this game could be.

anilv wrote:
What I don't understand is that we have people wringing their hands for all the poor mid-level players who are so impatient to get decked out in endgame goodies, and yet aren't interested in joining endgame teams and getting twinked out. As I see it, there are basically three demographics of mid-level players, and group #2 is getting an awful lot of sympathy that they don't really deserve:

1) Mid-level player is impatient to get to endgame, joins endgame team and succeeds.
2) Mid-level player is impatient to get to endgame, but doesn't join an endgame team for some reason. Gets mad that they can't somehow carry themselves to endgame in a month. This is the group Hober is championing.
3) Mid-level player has more realistic expectations about progression. Does what they can with the resources they have, takes a few years to get there but enjoys what the game has to offer along the way.

I don't see why we should want to market primarily to group #2. Those are the players who aspire to be hardcore endgamers, but aren't actually interested in either putting in the long hours to carry themselves there or befriending current endgamers who can help move the process along. Who the fuck are these people, anyway? And why exactly should SS cater to them?

First off, I don't care if a reset happens or not. I'm giving reasons why doing a reset wouldn't be AS BAD as some of you are saying. I Don't Care about a reset, I just want the curve from early game to late game to be a steady climb instead of a fucking brick wall at some points UNLESS you play in certain ways.

You are ignoring what I said about what happened to mid, low end, and end game players over the years. The arguments I've been making have no just been focused solely on mid game players, but I have said that mid game/newish players were hit the hardest by the issues I brought up.

And also, its not that these people are "impatient" to get to endgame, its that they want to make progress and do "something" with the class they want to have fun with. But if they join an endgame team then they get told how to play and what to do, and that's fine for some people. But everyone doesn't want to play that way, and this game doesn't support those playstyles.

I said oh so much more about exploits and bugs and how they've effected the game, and you ignored it. I see now that its a waste of time to talk about this because we have different opinions about it. Have fun! :D

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:44 pm
over 9000!

Yeah, you said a bunch about bugs that have happened in the past. I just don't have anything to say to those because they seem like ancient history to me and not terribly relevant to the question of player retention today.

MasterTrader wrote:
And also, its not that these people are "impatient" to get to endgame, its that they want to make progress and do "something" with the class they want to have fun with. But if they join an endgame team then they get told how to play and what to do, and that's fine for some people. But everyone doesn't want to play that way, and this game doesn't support those playstyles.

I disagree. The game supports plenty of play styles as long as you are happy to make incremental progress. Maybe not every class can solo James Watt with T20 gear, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty to do. You are still implicitly referring to players in group #2, those who want it all in a month but aren't interested in working for it or getting help from endgame players. The way you tell it, the average player is a delicate flower who gets mad and quits when someone else in the community says they are bad at the game. A delicate flower who is also incredibly impatient and uninterested in just playing the damn game for a while before they can be uber. I'm not sure why you are so hung up on this demographic, as it doesn't seem representative of the average gamer that we want to attract.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:25 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next