Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Post Remove Space Break
Just wanted to start another conversation with you guys. This game needs more incentives to not MC, there is like a million reasons why MCing is great. However there is none to not MCing.

What would you guys think if space break was removed, as well as shift+spacebar and everything else that is so crucial for MCing. Sure its extreme, but it would for sure cut down on the MCing and make those people that MC so much want to bring along more friends on runs. Not really a great incentive for non MCing people but i cant think of much.

Any ideas and what would be some great incentives for people who dont MC?

P.S. This is coming from someone who MCs heavily. Just trying to make this game more appealing to the non MCers.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:54 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Post Re: Remove Space Break
I'm sceptical about this. It's been this way for aslong as I can remember and removing something like auto-shooting would make it next to impossible to MC anything.

However, I think removing auto-brake is an option. It would make it harder to MC (instead of 5 clients people could perhaps run 3 tops) but not impossible.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:21 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

The thing that really annoyed me concerning "encouraging MC" was the official "Alt + Spacebar/Spacebrake" thing. Instead of having to manually stop/fire weapons, you could clamp down the Spacebar/Spacebrake and the character will continue to fire and brake until it died. I saw no fucking reason why you'd add that if you were not specifically encouraging MCing.

Also. The Alt + Spacebar/Spacebrake was a bug turned into a feature. People used to Alt Tab out to trigger the effect.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:42 am
Team: The League Of Gentlemen
Main: Wildfox 4
Level: 1283

But the MCr's are the ones paying the bills right now guys. I'm just saying.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:31 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Barking up the wrong tree, you gotta incentivize not MCing in other ways and get players in the game who don't MC before you do this.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:46 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

redalert150 wrote:
Just wanted to start another conversation with you guys. This game needs more incentives to not MC, there is like a million reasons why MCing is great. However there is none to not MCing.

What would you guys think if space break was removed, as well as shift+spacebar and everything else that is so crucial for MCing. Sure its extreme, but it would for sure cut down on the MCing and make those people that MC so much want to bring along more friends on runs. Not really a great incentive for non MCing people but i cant think of much.

Any ideas and what would be some great incentives for people who dont MC?

P.S. This is coming from someone who MCs heavily. Just trying to make this game more appealing to the non MCers.

I think the question we need to figure out is if we truely want to eliminate MC'ing, which I dont. I hate having to MC, but I think lowering the amount of chars you have to MC would be better than eliminating it

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:02 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3240

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
I am, have always been, and always will be on the side of destroying MCing.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:29 pm

It's too hard to truly destroy MCing, which is why I'm against that notion.

The problem is that it's SO DAMN EASY to MC. Large MC fleets of active characters are hard, I will say that. But MCing a trio of Fleet Commanders is so easy a donkey can do it. They warp in, jam the Alt Spacebrake, and watch their slaves annihilate everything. That's MCing.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:07 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Remove alt-tab too!

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor

You wanna stop MCing? 3 options:

1. Don't allow more than one client to be active at a time.

2. Implement a much more active playstyle, were Super Items/Whatever you wanna call em are toggled/need to be activated at certain times in order to give you most of your power. For example, as a Berserker most of your resistances would come from a Berserker Super item that you can turn on and leave on at the cost of outgoing damage. However, you couldn't have it on while having your self healing super item on. Blah blah blah, you get what I'm saying.

As a Sniper, if you don't have your Sniper analyzer on your damage will not be anything special. As a fleet commander, your "Aura's" do not just happen passively, you have to turn them on. And turning them on has a drawback.

This would be hard to do and might not even be worth the time, but the game would be much more involved and would require people to actively manage their character if they want to do well.

3. Give AI more AoE damage. Lots more AoE damage.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:34 pm

You're never going to fully stop MCing, Hober. Games like Eve stopped trying ages ago. Instead, MCing is made difficult in normal combat operations. Having to pilot two separate ships in changing patterns and tactics is very taxing.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:38 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

If you consider locking space brake to be enabling MCers, I would look at the things we've added to artificially gate MCing difficulty.

Knockback, in general. Entirely useless thing, all it does is piss off players and make no sense because we're in space, there is nothing to transfer the force.

Ubers like Zeus/Hermes/Red NF with hilarious amounts of grem/knockback. The only purpose is to fuck up your squad's positioning, extremely annoying for MCers, nothing for someone on a single client.

Tech 22 requires a lot of positioning, say Engines 22 where you need to actively move your squad to stay in the bubble or you die. Again, annoying for MCers, nothing for a single client.

I would say a large amount of endgame runs have some sort of anti-MC process, but we've just learned to adapt. Even if you remove Space Brake from the game, MCers would just get into the habit of right clicking their alts to autopilot somewhere every once in a while.

If you really want to remove MC, just fucking remove MCing. Lock the game to one client, lose 70% of your subs, and then stop putting in grem/knockback/pull/push effects just to piss off the current MC playerbase. Make a concrete decision for once. Stop doing things to please both sides. Inertial dampening shouldn't exist if the dev position is anti MC. But here we are.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:33 pm
Contributor

carterstrain wrote:
You're never going to fully stop MCing, Hober. Games like Eve stopped trying ages ago. Instead, MCing is made difficult in normal combat operations. Having to pilot two separate ships in changing patterns and tactics is very taxing.

To be really honest I don't care about MCing when there are enough people playing the game, or when skill full play allows you to beat overwhelming odds. The game is a giant stat stick competition, and that's the only reason MCing is so annoying to people. You either have enough stats to do a particular thing in the game or you don't. Everything after that just makes it faster/smoother. That's fine by itself, but there's no dynamism outside of that.

Lemon has a point though, stop half assing. Make a decision and stick with it. Tell us what your vision is and stick to that vision.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:54 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

I didnt start this topic with the intend to remove MCing, sure they have added mechanics to annoy people who MC, but those same annoying mechanics are annoying to people who dont MC.

What i wanted to get ideas on was how could we give players who dont MC more of a advantage over people who do MC. Without punishing those that do MC. Or not necessarily a advantage, but just more incentives to not MC.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:28 pm
Contributor

Option 2 of what I posted earlier is my suggestion on how to do that.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:37 am