Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: last time.
Yeah uh... Yeah. Let's just ignore that fuck up lol.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:55 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

MasterTrader wrote:
Yeah uh... Yeah. Let's just ignore that fuck up lol.

Nah, you don't ignore ours.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:21 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:02 am
Team: Royal Corporation
Main: Horaf
Level: 3314

Chiming in here as a player who's been in and out of SS over the years, for various reasons - though mainly to do with work and life in general...

Star Sonata is incredibly fun. It offers a ton for players who enjoy all sorts of things. However, as Wild Space is the only buildable area where meaningful commods can be harvested, and 100% of Wild Space is PvP... The portion of players who do not like PvP are not happy with base-building in this game.

I have seen dozens of players quit permanently, who were fun to game with, and were paying to play. Those are just players I knew personally. The reason they quit was essentially the same as Yehaa's. They just wanted to play the game and not be a part of PvP. Star Sonata happens to be the only game of its type - 2D Space MMO in grand Asteroids-style graphics. There is no other Space MMO like this one.

Personally, I've found the BvB aspect of SS intriguing, though I have only ever watched it, and never taken part. I always built as strong as I was able, did my best to learn from players like Lemon, Trevor, etc... and avoid being a target by not being worth the trouble. I also didn't care as much for harvesting Adamantium and other super rare commods... I go DGing and buy them from other players.

This being said, I know SS is in decline, because I can see it on the Wild Space map. It's mostly empty. I remember years ago, when you could scarcely find a place to build if you weren't on in the first 30 minutes of Uni reset. SS is a ghost-town.

Hard fact: if JeffL and the other devs cannot earn enough from the game to keep it worth the effort, then eventually SS will shut down and simply become a memory. What the game needs is more players. As the game is currently run, its playerbase is in decline. The dev team needs to find a way to attract more players.

SS needs to offer a rewarding gameplay experience for PvE players who aren't interested in PvP. That's what I believe might save SS. There must be a way of doing this without destroying the gameplay for those who enjoy PvP and BvB. Perhaps make another layer to space, p2p and non-PvP, which is similar to Wild Space, but in which the rarest commods are much rarer/harder to find, planets have slightly lower overall suit, etc... so it's still attractive to build in Wild Space and take the risk, but players who don't like PvP don't have to deal with the BvB aspect.

Getting podded is just a mild annoyance since gear glue was taken out of the game, but having bases destroyed or capped robs those non-pvp players of so much, they just quit, and another subscription to SS is lost. I can understand and agree with some of the sentiment about building properly, etc... But, as Yehaa mentioned, he simply doesn't have the time to devote to the game to become a powerful player - and he didn't want to. The main problem here is not what he did or did not do in-game... the problem is another loyal subscription just ended.

I know there are many who will disagree with my thoughts regarding PvP/PvE players, to include old friends and acquaintances of mine who still play. However, the reality is: SS must adapt in some way and draw in more players (and stop losing current players), or it will eventually close. I'd like to be able to return every so often, as I have, to mess around in DGs, help a team build, etc... those things are fun. Won't be able to if SS dies.

Basically, I just want the game to continue. My ideas are formed from observations of what I've seen occur since the days when pantalones ran the show.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:17 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

@slmaxg

Well reasoned post, but I'm wondering why you aren't content to build in the EF layer. Sure, f2p can also build there, but last I checked there is plenty of space for PvE oriented people. In every other sense, it's exactly what you describe: a layer that is inferior to Wild Space in terms of commod rarity/abundance and colony potential.

Whatever it is that makes you unwilling to build in the EF layer, I expect that same reasoning would see players such as yourself building in the new endgame layer you propose, losing their bases occasionally, and ending up where you are now.

So I don't think that's a good solution to the problem. What I'm wondering is what modifications to the EF layer, if any, would be necessary to accommodate a player such as yourself.

I too want the game to continue, I don't think see that happening if we cut out all PvP like others have suggested in this thread. There wouldn't really be enough going on in SS without the competitive aspect.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:43 pm
Team: Royal Corporation
Main: Horaf
Level: 3314

@enkelin

Same for you - completely rational post. Not surprising, given whom I am speaking with.

You make a valid point - but, can Ada (or other super-rare commods) be harvested at all in EF space? (My understanding is it was only available in Wild Space, though I am absent from the game for many months or even a year or two at times due to work.. my information may be outdated or incorrect.) The proposal I made was contingent upon this being the case, and allowing for a slower progression for those who take less risk. (The main point of my post is brainstorming to help increase the playerbase, so the game can thrive.)

Granted, I know that the commods are sold by players who harvest them, and so can be acquired that way.

The reason I am proposing thought regarding change, is to help come up with ideas to bring more players to SS, and/or keep the players we have. I would hate to see the PvP aspect gone from the game as well. A game without risk is less fun for someone like me. I know there are others who disagree, and there seem to be plenty of them. I honestly do not know what the right solution is, and if I did, I'd be all over JeffL's inbox with the information.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:15 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

I'm not against EF layer being where people who don't want to compete, go to avoid PVP. Just saying that stating that if people say you'll get worse galaxies there, and standard galaxies in Wild Space, it feels like you're being treated as second class citizens. The alternative is to have standard galaxies in EF space, and better galaxies in Wild space.

Because Purgatory (WS) and Hell (EF) sounds worse than Heaven (WS) and Purgatory (EF).

------

EF space lacks:

Tier1+ commodities
Ruins
Colonies are limited to 1b population

EF space is *only* warp1 galaxies too, so you get rather poor selection of places to build. It is most definitely not a good place for p2p wishing to avoid conflict to build, as Non-W3 WS galaxies are only left alone because of a Gentleman's Agreement from the major teams (13 notwithstanding as he just BVB'd a galaxy up in the Warp2 North Arm).

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:23 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Is it time to get rid of base capping? , yeh you might upset the 5 people left who's lives revolve round it but it would help stop the major butt hurt quitter types who logon to find they have had everything wiped. Give them a way to get their gear out their dead bases maybe for SP. people are less likely to rage quit on the spot if they are wiped but can recover something.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

sabre198 wrote:
Is it time to get rid of base capping? , yeh you might upset the 5 people left who's lives revolve round it but it would help stop the major butt hurt quitter types who logon to find they have had everything wiped. Give them a way to get their gear out their dead bases maybe for SP. people are less likely to rage quit on the spot if they are wiped but can recover something.

I guess I'm 1 of those 5 cause I think that's stupid AF.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:08 am

Yeh I had you pencilled in as one, but your such an addict I don't think you would quit over it

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:21 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

slmaxg wrote:
@enkelin

Same for you - completely rational post. Not surprising, given whom I am speaking with.

You make a valid point - but, can Ada (or other super-rare commods) be harvested at all in EF space? (My understanding is it was only available in Wild Space, though I am absent from the game for many months or even a year or two at times due to work.. my information may be outdated or incorrect.) The proposal I made was contingent upon this being the case, and allowing for a slower progression for those who take less risk. (The main point of my post is brainstorming to help increase the playerbase, so the game can thrive.)

Granted, I know that the commods are sold by players who harvest them, and so can be acquired that way.

The reason I am proposing thought regarding change, is to help come up with ideas to bring more players to SS, and/or keep the players we have. I would hate to see the PvP aspect gone from the game as well. A game without risk is less fun for someone like me. I know there are others who disagree, and there seem to be plenty of them. I honestly do not know what the right solution is, and if I did, I'd be all over JeffL's inbox with the information.

You can't get Ada in EF layer, but as you pointed out it doesn't matter since you *can* generate revenue and hence are able to purchase the Ada you need on the market. You can also prospect (I think Ada can be obtained that way) and get a trickle of it from DGs as well. Given that you wouldn't be using Ada gear or kits, your per-uni consumption of Ada would have to be very modest so relying on these sources shouldn't be a substantial inconvenience at all.

For the record, EF layer colonies are limited to 2b population, not 1b.

I perceive a meta-issue with the EF/WS question. Whether or not a player like yourself would be better served building in the EF layer, the fact remains that some people build in the WS layer without being properly equipped to do so. As long as that's the case, there will be some segment of the population that's taking on a risk they aren't prepared for, and hence opening up the possibility of ragequitting when that risk becomes reality. That isn't good for the victims in question and it's not good for the community either. So to me, the question is how to improve the game so that players are less likely to take on risks they aren't prepared for, without compromising the competitive aspect that PvP brings.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:34 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

sabre198 wrote:
Yeh I had you pencilled in as one, but your such an addict I don't think you would quit over it

Fuck you too Buzz :lol:

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:30 am

I honestly don't know why these rage quit type players aren't using junk kits and sleeping soundly at night. Seriously admins can't make this game any easier for them it's embarrassing

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Whatever. The number is intentionally low to prevent people from making major colony profit.

Some people: Yeh11a, Lazerus, Charlie, Infernal Empire. Will be unable to keep a decent defense standard or build more consolidated galaxies, either through deliberation or procrastination, and bitch when it comes back to nuke their ass. The admins should simply explain, on the website, the wiki, any applicable tutorials, and first time entry to Wild Space, that it is a PVP zone. You can attack and be attacked by players in Wild Space. If they continue to bitch about losing shit, the admins can point to all the signs that stated it's a PVP zone and point at signs recommending they GROUP THE FUCK UP.

Yeah, had to deal with Charlie bitching about how 13 wiped his noob ass all over the place. Turned out it took him a week to build a bunch of Adonis Standard bases and refused to join a team that had more than two accounts on it.

Lazerus didn't build any gear that was tougher than Adonis Standard, though he had SM16 on a couple of characters. Guy built in DF300 regions constantly and got ran over each time he deployed bases, either by being in the way and refusing to yield for a bigger team, or by deliberately antagonizing the bigger team by BVBing them. Bitched on the forums when I killed his noob bases, when TDC killed his noob bases, and when Lemon killed his noob bases, twice.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:43 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

carterstrain wrote:
The admins should simply explain, on the website, the wiki, any applicable tutorials, and first time entry to Wild Space, that it is a PVP zone. You can attack and be attacked by players in Wild Space.

I've got it on my todo list to add a "pvp status icon" that makes it very clear that you're in a pvp zone, with an appropriate warning.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next