Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Re: last time.
anilv wrote:
Get your own facts straight, Shawn. Sure, -13-'s method are unorthodox, but he has a proven track record of helping noobs rebuild stronger than ever, including providing free base gear and augs, once he's made his point. It's not the way I would personally educate the masses, but you're off base to paint him as a bully.

I'm really not off base, if he was trying to help, he would just help. Hell, even Lemon usually gives warning orders before he attacks unprovoked (and usually sticks to attacking those who can, or should be able to, fight back), 13 exclusively attacks people who cannot fight back. Also you say that he is good for the game because he "has a proven track record of helping noobs rebuild stronger," but I would be more interested in seeing the numbers on the noobs that just said "fuck it" and didn't come back.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:00 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

how does Eve stop 5 tril players killing 5bil players out in wild space?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:14 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

sabre198 wrote:
how does Eve stop 5 tril players killing 5bil players out in wild space?

This.
ShawnMcCall wrote:
He has simply come to the pretty correct conclusion that even if 13 gives it all back, it isn't really worth the effort to do it all again, and he is trying to give a pretty helpful hint regarding what this game needs to do to thrive.

The fact is, I don't agree with his opinion on what the game needs to thrive. Let's run some numbers, shall we? Say Makka's right and a gal defense of 1 Dem20 kit should be balanced to defray the level of PvB that -13- can bring to bear. Do you realize that this would swiftly bring any and all territorial conflict in SS to an end? It would mean that anyone who even just lays a couple Dem20 kits (or better) would be all but immune from any level of galaxy assault.

So I respectfully disagree with the position that what SS really needs to thrive is to coddle our long-time midgamers who refuse to exercise even the slightest bit of sense in claiming territory. The result of that would be an end to territorial conflict, one of the signature aspects of this game. I am happy to concede that the game could provide more measures to scaffold new players into proper building practices, but in this case we are dealing with a veteran who's had plenty of time and opportunities to learn his lesson and resolutely refused to do so.

I'll end with a quote from page 1:

anilv wrote:
So… are you saying it shouldn't be possible to kill someone else's gal, even if they've claimed far more territory than they can reasonably hold?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:18 am
over 9000!

ShawnMcCall wrote:
open PvP in a total loss system *cannot succeed if the game is based on longterm investment.*

That's a nice-sounding pronouncement, but it doesn't even come close to applying to SS.

1) We don't have open PvP. We have an entire Earthforce layer for those who want to build in complete safety. You may scoff at this, but just take a look at teams like EF that have humped that layer for mining score and colonies.

2) We don't have total loss. With powerful Andaman and Achilles base gear available for effectively no cost, and with extremely powerful Annihilator XYZ gear available for only the cost of raw materials, the only loss incurred from a full galaxy wipe is the opportunity cost of industry in that galaxy. The cost of kits and augs is non-refundable regardless, but as I have mentioned several times, galaxy defense can be accomplished using nothing other than vanilla T12 kits and Adonis augs.

3) Galaxy industry and defense is not based on longterm investment, other than the leveling of characters. Anyone with an account or two of midlevel characters can turn a handsome profit in Wild Space. There is no requirement of building up an investment over months and years before this is possible.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:27 am
Team: Zephyr
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

ShawnMcCall wrote:
KonanCruss wrote:
I wonder how the defences in his galaxy were laid.
Even for old time players when you see a 5-7-10 Adamantium Kit galaxy fall over night is quite disheartening to even end gamers.
If you've put 0 effort in laying defences, you get told how to actually do it from some who is invested in helping smaller teams in improving. I don't know how you guys declined 13 his help, but the same thing happened between IS & RF.

Seeing how little stuff has been built in their galaxies it wouldn't be so hard to get their shit rebuild, even when you aren't a hardcore gamer. Diplomatics is a big line of defence, but actually having stuff to show that you have defences laid in your galaxy makes people second guess attacking you.

This is the same things that were told at the end of RF & Traders vs EF war, people bitching about people quitting because they lost stuff. It isn't fun to loose bases, but if you didn't built any decent defences than you are kinda expected to loose your galaxies.

Everyone wants to paint themselves as a white knight trying to "help noobs," but the fact is if 13 was trying to help, he would have contacted them, explained their defensive shortcomings, and suggested corrective action. Instead he shot at them, because he simply wants to PvB, and he has realized that if he claims he is "just trying to help noobs" he won't be immediately crucified by the existing playerbase.

I did this like 50 times you twat, which was said. And youre clearly ignorant as fuck, as I dont ever pvb.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:33 am
Team: Traders
Main: Mow
Level: 9760

anilv wrote:
Get your own facts straight, Shawn. Sure, -13-'s method are unorthodox, but he has a proven track record of helping noobs rebuild stronger than ever, including providing free base gear and augs, once he's made his point.

Not exactly. He saw what you did to SP & said he wanted to do something similar but with smaller teams, so he attacks the ones who don't have a shot at winning and then demands 100b to end the war. Funnily enough it was around the time he did that big shoutout on the forums for being homosexual. It seems to me that -13- is having a hissy fit, whilst trying to cover it up by acting like a white knight.

"No! THEY R TREATIN ME LIKE A BASTURD ILL TREAT THEM LIKE A BASTURD ILL SHOW THEM IM GONNA WIPE THEIR GALS OUT & SAY IM HELPING THEM!"

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:21 pm
over 9000!

Tomzta09 wrote:
anilv wrote:
Get your own facts straight, Shawn. Sure, -13-'s method are unorthodox, but he has a proven track record of helping noobs rebuild stronger than ever, including providing free base gear and augs, once he's made his point.

Not exactly. He saw what you did to SP & said he wanted to do something similar but with smaller teams, so he attacks the ones who don't have a shot at winning and then demands 100b to end the war. Funnily enough it was around the time he did that big shoutout on the forums for being homosexual. It seems to me that -13- is having a hissy fit, whilst trying to cover it up by acting like a white knight.

Incorrect, he may have done that in the past but lately he's been all about tough love with midlevel teams, as seen here.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:24 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

Many times have I and other people asked teams to fix their gals, and they didn't care because they were never attacked before. I dislike attacking people without an appropriate reason (In my opinion) but I also don't like people getting resources without actually defending it.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:45 pm
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

Balance in all things

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:32 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

The issue is threefold.

1. There is nothing that actually pushes people to defend. Any single player at the appropriate DF can annihilate AI threats with ease. As long as the collective group of bases is at equal level to that player, then there is no effective threat to the bases, meaning limited defenses are built.

2. There is a ridiculous amount of uncontested and unclaimed space for people the build in. The entire playerbase could cherry pick with zero defenses at all, and I'll bet that there will still be at least 500 gals untouched. The results are predictable: People spread out to cherry pick the very best in a given area.

3. There is nothing at all, except asking a more competent builder (98% an older player and usually on the Big 6 teams) about how to build a better defense. People don't know if things are in the wrong or how they can improve what they think is an already good defense, until someone knocks it down. And when it comes down, it's usually so fast that the defenders don't exactly know why their defense failed in such a way.

-----

I am very much disregarding idiots like Yeh11a that intentionally build crap and expect no one will attack them. Even with 10 accounts of his quality, I can't fathom the idea of holding 10+ galaxies. I'll be looking at 5 or 6 bases per galaxy. And from my perspective, I can knock that down with Junkyard kits. I would be terrified of anything less than 20 bases per gal. The first line of defense is showing any would be attackers that it will be an uphill struggle to take my team's space whether we're online or not.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:47 pm
over 9000!

Ahhh, those rare occasions when I agree with Churchill.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm
Main: BrotherOwl
Level: 1943

One thing is this univ there been some changes to bases. Overloads, Only use item marked base gear.
No more using Non Base solar Panel on bases. No using OS X-Surgical lasers on T9.
When was the last time you saw a Base Z aug BP drop? got to have been at least 2 years for me a T9 assult Z aug. has better stats that a T12 Assult Aug.
For T16 been using Kituo Selea 5 aug. attached bases

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 pm
over 9000!

BrotherWolf wrote:
One thing is this univ there been some changes to bases. Overloads,

These are cheap and better than what we used to have

Only use item marked base gear. No more using Non Base solar Panel on bases.

Why were you using non-base solar panels on bases?

No using OS X-Surgical lasers on T9.

Why were you using these? The DPS is paltry.

When was the last time you saw a Base Z aug BP drop? got to have been at least 2 years for me a T9 assult Z aug. has better stats that a T12 Assult Aug.

The difference is hardly make-or-break. Higher tech Z aug BPs do indeed drop with good frequency. But they aren't make-or-break either.

For T16 been using Kituo Selea 5 aug. attached bases

OK, those are pretty good for defense if you put proper augs on them.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:29 am
Main: BrotherOwl
Level: 1943

Some people i seen and gone - some where good players
MUCH13S, J01NT, SP33D, Sky Haussmann, Balin, Army_Girl, Vipor, Demon_Spawn,
Can remember the name Did a lot of work on Wiki - Got the Wiki Ship for all his work

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:40 am
over 9000!

BrotherWolf wrote:
Some people i seen and gone - some where good players
MUCH13S, J01NT, SP33D, Sky Haussmann, Balin, Army_Girl, Vipor, Demon_Spawn,
Can remember the name Did a lot of work on Wiki - Got the Wiki Ship for all his work

That's Simon you're thinking of. :)

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:47 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next