Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Team: Traders
Main: Yehaaaaaaaaaaa
Level: 5453

Post last time.
It's been interesting reading the debates on how to attract more players. what I feel is more important, and any marketing company will tell you, that it's more important to keep your existing player base than getting new players.

I'm busy. I run a business, I volunteer for community groups, until recently I was the local equivalent of the town mayor, I'm involved on the periphery of state politics, I have a son that's 12 living 180km away that I try to see whenever I can and occasionally I have a social life. I play star sonata when I get a chance, normally in the evenings for a couple of hours.

I run three accounts. No single character above 3k, My main at lvl 2500-ish,a sniper a bit less, a couple of characters above 1k. 8 or so under. My internet speeds available means it's very difficult for me to MC so I generally don't.

I've just returned from being away for Easter. My gals have been destroyed and although there are a couple of bases left, the vast majority are no longer there. so I asked myself, "why am I doing this?".

So for the second time, I've just cancelled my subscriptions. I don't give a toss of those that rant about "care bear game" and "PVP/BvB is part of the game", it's certainly not why I play. I can't be on here 24/7 like some seem to be and it's seeming that unless I can devote that amount of time to the game there's not a whole lot of point playing at all.

If the game wants to grow, it needs to take care of the mid range players. The silent players that just do little bits here and there and still pay. It's not. So I'm outta here and will find something else.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:59 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Post Re: last time.
Who capped your bases?

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:28 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Always a bummer to see a longtime community member leave. Farewell.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:29 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Makka wrote:
It's been interesting reading the debates on how to attract more players. what I feel is more important, and any marketing company will tell you, that it's more important to keep your existing player base than getting new players.

I'm busy. I run a business, I volunteer for community groups, until recently I was the local equivalent of the town mayor, I'm involved on the periphery of state politics, I have a son that's 12 living 180km away that I try to see whenever I can and occasionally I have a social life. I play star sonata when I get a chance, normally in the evenings for a couple of hours.

I run three accounts. No single character above 3k, My main at lvl 2500-ish,a sniper a bit less, a couple of characters above 1k. 8 or so under. My internet speeds available means it's very difficult for me to MC so I generally don't.

I've just returned from being away for Easter. My gals have been destroyed and although there are a couple of bases left, the vast majority are no longer there. so I asked myself, "why am I doing this?".

So for the second time, I've just cancelled my subscriptions. I don't give a toss of those that rant about "care bear game" and "PVP/BvB is part of the game", it's certainly not why I play. I can't be on here 24/7 like some seem to be and it's seeming that unless I can devote that amount of time to the game there's not a whole lot of point playing at all.

If the game wants to grow, it needs to take care of the mid range players. The silent players that just do little bits here and there and still pay. It's not. So I'm outta here and will find something else.

You are exactly who I was talking about when I mentioned early-mid game players. Nevermind that you're level 3k, that's what we were talking about when we mentioned end game player dominance. I even specifically mentioned peoples shit getting blown up and them deciding to quit because its not fun.

People can laugh at you and scream "carebear" all they want, but in the end they'll be the ones looking really sad when they realize no one else is playing the game.

And before anyone replies with "Oh he's just one person"... how many other people do you think have decided to quit and haven't said anything?

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 am
Contributor
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

Do you know who it was?

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:02 am
Team: Zephyr
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

Makka wrote:

I capped a couple gals and offered to return all the lost gear, return the kits, and pay for losses and grief. This offer was not utilized.the moment they logged on and asked me to stop, I did. I have also offered to help with their defenses many times and they refuse to do anything. They could easily defend a galaxy or two, but they always choose to own ten and spread out. While I'm sad a player is quitting, this is a stupid reason to quit, especially when I offered to give everything back plus some. Have some determination guys. I've been wiped dozens of times, who cares? It's a game. If you never lose is it even fun or challenging?

Anyway, this doesn't need to be a philosophy battle. It was me. I offered to return everything plus some.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 am
Contributor

jack the ripper wrote:
Have some determination guys. I've been wiped dozens of times, who cares? It's a game. If you never lose is it even fun or challenging?

Hey this sounds really familiar... kinda like something I said in a different thread...

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:17 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

This is hilarious. It's as if no one learned from Infernal Empire's annihilation.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:19 am
over 9000!

jack the ripper wrote:
I capped a couple gals and offered to return all the lost gear, return the kits, and pay for losses and grief. This offer was not utilized.

If this is true, and I am inclined to believe -13- on a matter like this, then I don't understand why the player is quitting.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:27 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

anilv wrote:
jack the ripper wrote:
I capped a couple gals and offered to return all the lost gear, return the kits, and pay for losses and grief. This offer was not utilized.

If this is true, and I am inclined to believe -13- on a matter like this, then I don't understand why the player is quitting.

Because you can't just cover up the material damage, and expect it to be enough reason for a player to continue playing like nothing happened. I'm surprised you out of all people don't see this, enkelin. You seem to forget the cost of investing time, effort and motivation in building. This cost can be nearly priceless to many players, and it seems to be so in this case, similar to many other less hardcore players (can I say casual players?).

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:58 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

If you don't mind me asking - How did you put up your defense?

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:06 pm
over 9000!

andezrhode2a wrote:
anilv wrote:
jack the ripper wrote:

Because you can't just cover up the material damage, and expect it to be enough reason for a player to continue playing like nothing happened. I'm surprised you out of all people don't see this, enkelin. You seem to forget the cost of investing time, effort and motivation in building. This cost can be nearly priceless to many players, and it seems to be so in this case, similar to many other less hardcore players (can I say casual players?).

I'm not that sympathetic to the cost in time incurred by setting up defenses and industry. Sure, if you have to do it every week it gets old fast, but we all do it once every 3-4 months as is. This guy would have had to do it twice instead.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:13 pm
Contributor

andezrhode2a wrote:
anilv wrote:
jack the ripper wrote:

Wow, that is exactly what I was going to say. Not in the way you put it, but in the same way. If you're casual you don't have time or patience to do that shit every time someone blows your shit up...

I'm 100% certain Traders lost their fair share of people, Pre-Enkelin, back when they were constantly bullied. enkelin, you're too invested in the game man...

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:20 pm
over 9000!

So… are you saying it shouldn't be possible to kill someone else's gal, even if they've claimed far more territory than they can reasonably hold?

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:23 pm
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

anilv wrote:
I'm not that sympathetic to the cost in time incurred by setting up defenses and industry. Sure, if you have to do it every week it gets old fast, but we all do it once every 3-4 months as is. This guy would have had to do it twice instead.

It will only take a mathematician to bring human behavior down to calculations, and an educational researcher to tell you that man is a lot more complex than that.

I'm going to see Yeh11a as a person, and not a mechanical creature, and wildly guess that setting up his galaxies again, isn't just about repeating the action. It is about a lot more than that, which you, little mathematician, need to open your eyes to. Stop ruining this game with numbers and formulas, and see the players for what they are - people.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next