Main: Septagons Titan
Level: 2312

Post Blast from the past
Been a long while since I logged into this game! Was just doing random stuff yesterday when I thought of Star Sonata and decided to check in and see how things are.

When I originally left/got irreversibly bored two years ago the game felt like it was in a definite decline, with so many people leaving, power gaps, and a clique of old players and teams that could most charitably be described as "hostile" to newer players in C2.

So how have things been? Did Reddit Space Invaders ever survive or get reborn? Was multiclienting ever curbed? Has the incredibly broken economy been fixed? Any new influxes of players? Any new content that isn't specifically designed for the top tier of players who have trillions of credits and thousands of hours in the game?

How are things?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:42 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Blast from the past
Lol.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:52 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Hello again. They are gearing up for a Steam launch which may bring in some new players.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:54 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Sounds trolly

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

Welcome back.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:02 pm

anilv wrote:
Hello again. They are gearing up for a Steam launch which may bring in some new players.

Wasn't there some stuff going around about getting the game put on Steam way back? Like I said, it's been a while so I may not remember certain things.

sabre198 wrote:
Sounds trolly

Naw, I'm being serious, I promise. I poked around a bit on the forums after making this and saw that, well... Yeah. It seems like most things have gone from bad to worse.

Tomzta09 wrote:
Welcome back.

I don't remember most people from the game, but I remember chu Daedalus! You had joined RSI for a month or two way back when, those were fun times.

Ah, continuing in the theme of questions from the seriously outdated and out of touch, are there any low level teams currently that focus on stuff other than T20/21? I've been thinking about making a new character or something and convincing my boyfriend to play with me for fun, but the game has always been better with teams.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:40 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Welcome back. So how long ago did you leave? Four days ago? Because you accurately described current state of the game.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:45 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Please leave again.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:53 pm

Antilzah wrote:
Welcome back. So how long ago did you leave? Four days ago? Because you accurately described current state of the game.

Two years ago. The things I described were problems back then, but I had no idea multiclienting would blow up like it apparently has. Back then it was "that thing" you heard about a somewhat small portion of players doing that but going from what some other forum posts claim, it sounds like the game is impossible these days if you don't do it.

Power gaps and hostility were happening back then too, iirc RSI's bases got trashed with no hope of a proper defence by pirates a few times which led to a good chunk of the people quitting.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:56 pm
over 9000!

Bases were rebalanced since you left, making it a lot easier for noobs to defend galaxies. But there's still no cure for stupid, so people who put basically no defense down will still get wiped occasionally.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:02 pm

anilv wrote:
Bases were rebalanced since you left, making it a lot easier for noobs to defend galaxies. But there's still no cure for stupid, so people who put basically no defense down will still get wiped occasionally.

Ah, that's a nice change.

Has there been any influxes of players comparable to the Reddit thing since back then?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:08 pm
over 9000!

No, nothing like Reddit.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:12 pm

So, I doubt anyone cares, but in the past few days since I came back I've been noticing a few things about the game currently.

Put bluntly, it feels like its dead. To compare it to the past, when I played during C1 the game felt like it was thriving. Players everywhere going about their business. When I eventually made this account for C2, it felt...different. Like it needed a lot of polish but it was still fun, and this was while Reddit was still thriving so plenty of players. I took a 1-2 month break and then things started to feel like they were in decline. Somewhere like 3/4ths of all the people that had been brought in from Reddit had quit, and as time went on nearly all the people who were brought in from Reddit quit for one reason or another. The game felt much emptier.

But even that was better than what it feel like now. Even at its worst two years ago, you could still occasionally run into people. For the past three days I've been going around in the EF layer and I haven't seen a soul. Not a single person doing DGs, not a single new person flying around, nothing. Nada.

This is kinda worrying to me, especially since I've been thinking about subscribing for the first time (Huzzah for actually having disposable income now!). I don't really want to shell out the cash and dump the time, only to be shut out of doing most content because I don't want to multiclient or because there's simply not enough people around to do stuff. Maybe it will get better once the game releases on Steam, but from what I understand, they haven't even announced a release date yet.

Anyway. Those are just my rambling thoughts.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:30 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Well you are on a team with like, 3 people. That might be a good place to start. Active teams tend to um... do things?

EF layer isn't super popular either. If you do t20/t21/t22 runs, you'll see random people. Or just roam perilous space dging/what not. It's not nearly as populated as it was before, but the universe has grown quite a bit. Playerbase seems to be shrinking or the same.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:51 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Add or message me in game, i like doing shit. I also like linking people up with those who do shit.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:15 pm