Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Post Re: With Steam in out future, check this out.
I like that warp effect

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:05 pm
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

Endless Sky looks like EV nova.

I think the devs either have, or are planning a login queue and instances for the newbie areas to deal with large player influxes? Imagine the lag in nexus with 100s of players in it.

If not, they should >.>

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:32 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

The Salty One wrote:

I think the devs either have, or are planning a login queue and instances for the newbie areas to deal with large player influxes? Imagine the lag in nexus with 100s of players in it.

If not, they should >.>

I just watched the promo and it looks like a very cheap knockoff of EV Nova, actually. I'm surprised anyone is playing it / rating it highly.

I mean really. The planet dialog, outfitter, and map are all identical, and even the hyperspace jump mechanic is the same.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:12 pm
Main: Septagons Titan
Level: 2312

anilv wrote:
The Salty One wrote:

If not, they should >.>

I just watched the promo and it looks like a very cheap knockoff of EV Nova, actually. I'm surprised anyone is playing it / rating it highly.

I mean really. The planet dialog, outfitter, and map are all identical, and even the hyperspace jump mechanic is the same.

Keep in mind the game is 100% free and was made by one guy.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:38 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: reaper pride
Level: 5779

anilv wrote:
/signed for new player Zebus to be a lot more maneuverable and all-around better.

They should get a plot drawn in from when they creat an account, where they 1st join and are in t20 or t21 ships and put in a scenerio where they get the pvai side of the game and as it plays out they get blown up or sucked into a black hole and are found by a roaming paxian trader and given a zebu in the nexus to restart their quest to find out who they are and what happened. could be an epic plot line for the game, keeping them engrosed until they get a feel for the game.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:46 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Jeff doesn't like plots because he thinks it gets forced on people.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:56 am
Team: Zygort Traders
Main: Vorporal
Level: 5483

xzume wrote:
anilv wrote:
/signed for new player Zebus to be a lot more maneuverable and all-around better.

They should get a plot drawn in from when they creat an account, where they 1st join and are in t20 or t21 ships and put in a scenerio where they get the pvai side of the game and as it plays out they get blown up or sucked into a black hole and are found by a roaming paxian trader and given a zebu in the nexus to restart their quest to find out who they are and what happened. could be an epic plot line for the game, keeping them engrosed until they get a feel for the game.

Yes! Yes 1000x Yes!

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:05 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

xzume wrote:
anilv wrote:

That actually sounds awesome.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:32 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

xzume wrote:
anilv wrote:

dats awesome!

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:25 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Won't happen, suggested that shit years ago... The devs never responded.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:35 am
Team: Salt and Pepper
Main: CLXXXIII
Level: 6059

I started with the Reddit Space Invasion and one of the biggest problem was the 45° camera out of hell.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:53 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

CLXXXIII wrote:
I started with the Reddit Space Invasion and one of the biggest problem was the 45° camera out of hell.

Yeah wtf is with that being default. Most players use top down view.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:13 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Godsteel wrote:
Factorio has 98% positive reviews score. What concerns me about steam release is that SS, in my opinion, will get about 40-60% positive scores and people will not even give it a try.

I don't know, SS hides most of its allure far outside of the nexus (drones, slaves, class skills, bases, etc...), and the endless revamps to the nexus seem to constantly repaint it without making it any better. I think the main reason us as "older players" see improvement from what it was when we went through originally is just because we understand the context and relationships between the ships and factions present there.

With all of that being poorly (or not at all) explained, the average new player is likely to find it wholly insufferable. Without completely leveling the nexus and starting from scratch to make something completely new with the sole goal in mind being "learning in a fun, but still sandbox environment," I honestly wouldn't expect SS to get higher than a 17% on steam ratings.

I get that SS is like 134% old players that don't care about begin game content, and that they pay the bills, but I also really think that a massive refocusing of dev effort to create not only quality content, but an entire early - mid game that is as engaging as t20+ content could save SS.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:53 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Basically what I envision as the saving grace for SS would be starter zones like WoW. Say what you will about the game, but every starter zone for every race/class creates a detailed narrative with fleshed out character and plot development that makes the starter zones in WoW some of the best content I have seen across all the games I have played.

The only issue I foresee, would of course be creating numerous detailed and compelling story lines that will actually hook new players and keep them interested. WoW has literally volumes of Warcraft lore to pull from, SS doesn't have that luxury, but trying to develop the starter zone in the same way would still be incredibly beneficial.

P.S. That Endless Sky game looks like an incredibly well polished and developed Flash Trek: Broken Mirror, so I am going to go play it.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:58 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

trouble is most of our Devs want to impress THRM, not joe noob so it will likely never happen unless its paid for development.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:02 am
Profile WWW