over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: With Steam in out future, check this out.
ShawnMcCall wrote:
Basically what I envision as the saving grace for SS would be starter zones like WoW. Say what you will about the game, but every starter zone for every race/class creates a detailed narrative with fleshed out character and plot development that makes the starter zones in WoW some of the best content I have seen across all the games I have played.

The only issue I foresee, would of course be creating numerous detailed and compelling story lines that will actually hook new players and keep them interested. WoW has literally volumes of Warcraft lore to pull from, SS doesn't have that luxury, but trying to develop the starter zone in the same way would still be incredibly beneficial.

P.S. That Endless Sky game looks like an incredibly well polished and developed Flash Trek: Broken Mirror, so I am going to go play it.

I don't agree that SS needs plot-driven content. WoW isn't the only model that can succeed.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:10 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

anilv wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:
Basically what I envision as the saving grace for SS would be starter zones like WoW. Say what you will about the game, but every starter zone for every race/class creates a detailed narrative with fleshed out character and plot development that makes the starter zones in WoW some of the best content I have seen across all the games I have played.

The only issue I foresee, would of course be creating numerous detailed and compelling story lines that will actually hook new players and keep them interested. WoW has literally volumes of Warcraft lore to pull from, SS doesn't have that luxury, but trying to develop the starter zone in the same way would still be incredibly beneficial.

P.S. That Endless Sky game looks like an incredibly well polished and developed Flash Trek: Broken Mirror, so I am going to go play it.

I don't agree that SS needs plot-driven content. WoW isn't the only model that can succeed.

I'm not really talking about the game as a whole though, I am referring to the starter zones. Games are meant to be fun, and starter zones are typically pretty crap, WoW keeps you there long enough for you to come back, and without realizing how miserable tutorials are by putting pretty solid narratives into those areas (and all areas really, but for now all I am really focusing on is starter zones). SS doesn't really lend itself mechanically to ever having a quality starter zone, which is why every time it's "revamped" it just comes out as a slightly more well polished turd (nothing against the devs who have done it in the past, it would take a miracle worker to make an engaging tutorial for SS), that's kind of why I think the story route is a good approach to beginning/mid game.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:17 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

Yes, there needs to be more of an overarching plot to the game, or just more fleshing out plots that already exist. It's much harder to be engaged in something if it's just go here, kill X, get reward. Some missions or mission chains are fine by themselves, but mostly too inconsequential/isolated to keep a player hooked progressing through the game.

There are tons of ways to do this and add some replay value as well. Example: If a player completes a series of earth force missions, they will be given a promotion and tasked with combatting the zaphragi/aveksaka threat. Patrol missions (go go AI friends), assaulting vital targets, etc.

If player reaches X level and is a competent bounty hunter, they will be scouted for earthforce/paxians/something and given assassination type requests against the zaphragi/aveksaka.

If player reaches X level they will be informed of a mass recruitment drive to combat the zaphragi/aveksaka threat.

Having some kind of journal would make this easier as well. A way of smoothly handling self starting missions without them randomly popping up on someone's screen (it's just not appropriate for some missions). A particularly annoying example is how the tutorial throws a bunch of text at the player and then forces them to perform a series of basic actions; some people, especially the ones interested in this kind of game, just don't need that much hand holding and will be put off by it.

Games like Metroid have nice tutorials because it doesn't bludgeon you with instructions, but simply tells the player what they can do and then puts them in a situation where they have to master those controls before they can progress. In a sense, letting people feel some accomplishment for being guided through something.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:05 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: reaper pride
Level: 5779

its not plot driven its a crash course into endgame ss that the player has played and knows to aspire too.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:21 am