Main: Buggy123
Level: 5141

Post The UrQa language
Apparently you can actually speak it. Not many people know it, me included, but its simple enough apparently. Someone in all requested some samples of it from a mission so i'm posting this thread with screenies.

First mission text:
First mission text:
First mission completion text:
Second mission option 2 text:
Second mission option 1 text:
Second mission option 1 text:
Second mission option 1 completion text:

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/Qn9Ue

Sat May 14, 2016 5:48 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: The UrQa language
Cropping images is not your strong suite eh?

Sat May 14, 2016 5:49 pm
Main: Buggy123
Level: 5141

Uh...

Sat May 14, 2016 5:57 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

There used to be a player run site that was like www.starsonata.org or something which contained a bunch of tips, tricks and attempts at deciphering the language.

If you search through the forums you can see where we have all made attempts, you can generally make out certain words if you know what the item is, for example from the Quu drones, the Jiji and the 3 shot: Qa means large, Qii means small and Kasa could potentially mean Station since the name of the Bana station kit is Urqa Kasa and the larger permanent drones are Kasa Quu.

Sun May 15, 2016 3:32 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

http://wiki2.starsonata.com/index.php/UrQa#UrQa_Words

Sun May 15, 2016 1:18 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

Take the wiki with a grain of salt. If something isn't one of Calypso's corrections, then it's most likely an assumption.

Sun May 15, 2016 2:23 pm
Site Admin / PR Admin
Team: Suits
Main: The Suit
Level: 1337

Here's another reference to the language.

Sun May 15, 2016 2:34 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Of course you had to link your topic.

Sun May 15, 2016 2:49 pm
Site Admin / PR Admin
Team: Suits
Main: The Suit
Level: 1337

carterstrain wrote:
Of course you had to link your topic.

I actually googled an UrQa phrase for the translation and this was the first result.

Sun May 15, 2016 3:04 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

The mission text for the first mission is:
Ki'Qua vo Qa'ik wrote:
You board the wreckage and are surprised to see an injured, but living, UrQa. "Okara... qiiQa. Iq vo Qo'kushi." he says. "Iq'Qokuji urko... Ki'Qua... Ki'Qua urko Iq'Qokuji. Ki'Qua vo Qa'ik."

"UrQa qok Ki'Qua'oq koquii'ba Ki'Qua qok UrQa. UrQa nik'ba Ki'Qua vo vazuk... UrQa vazuknii... Iq'Qokuji urko." A strange sounding alarm goes off in the ship and $startvendor begins shouting frantically. "qiiQa! qiiQa! Ur urk'qii UrQa! Ki'Qua koquii bana! Urk'qii UrQa!"

The (mostly) literal translation of this is a little odd (as you'd expect):
Quote:
You board the wreckage and are surprised to see an injured, but living, UrQa. "Greetings... terran. I be Qo'kushi [the UrQa's name]." he says. "My guardian [ship] destroyed... The unnamed [Aveksaka][1]... The unnamed destroyed my guardian. The unnamed be very strong[2]."

"UrQa see the unnamed and to hide but the unnamed see UrQa. UrQa flee but the unnamed be fast... UrQa vazuknii[3]... My guardian destroyed." A strange sounding alarm goes off in the ship and $startvendor begins shouting frantically. "Terran! Terran! You destroy weakness[4] UrQa! The unnamed hide galaxy! Help UrQa!

1. To the UrQa, the Aveksaka are unnamed (out-of-universe: that might just be because when the translator was written, the word "Aveksaka" didn't exist). In the translator the word "Ki'Qua" is given the definition "the Unnamed Aliens (Death-makers)".
  2. The term "Qa'ik" is odd. The "Qa" comes from the power modifiers, but "ik" means station, the direct translation would therefore be "strong station". However, the translator gives two meanings; "very strong" and "station". This seems a bit odd when we look at other instances of these terms, bana queen "Qokujiii Qa'ik" essentially means "guardian (intense/powerful) very strong" or "guardian (intense/powerful) station". The term "Kasa" usually seen on the UrQa station kits means "mother".
  3. There's no translation for "ni" or "nii" in the translator. I would say it's a power modifier, except they all start with 'Q'. Given that "vazuk" means fast, this is likely to be a word to mean slow or slower.
  4. The literal translation for this is weird, as it sounds like Qo'kushi is asking for the player to help kill the UrQa, where he's actually asking for him to help them fight against the Aveksaka. The UrQa word "Urk'qii" literally means "destroy weakling" (from urko (meaning destroy) and qii (meaning weak)), however it can be used as a verb to mean help. You can see the UrQa mainly thinking about killing others...

So, a more English translation could be:
Quote:
You board the wreckage and are surprised to see an injured, but living, UrQa. "Greetings... terran. I am Qo'kushi." he says. "My ship has been destroyed... The unnamed... The unnamed destroyed my ship. The unnamed are very strong."

"UrQa saw the unnamed and we tried to hide but the unnamed see the UrQa. The UrQa tried to flee, but the unnamed are faster... UrQa are slow... My ship is destroyed." A strange sounding alarm goes off in the ship and $startvendor begins shouting frantically. "Terran! Terran! You help the UrQa! The unnamed hide in this galaxy! Help the UrQa!

Also on the topic of the wiki page, most of the Nargos and Simon dialogue is based on false assumptions. "Ukuk" means range, "Ukukuu" is great range (this is given on the page, though).

The section on the wiki about the size/numbering system, as Calypso said, is wrong. Those terms refer to a vague power modifier system which isn't limited to just size or number. In order, they'd go something like this; qi, Qi, qo, Qo, qa, Qa, Qa'ik, UrQa. It should be noted however that this scale is a bit messy in the middle in a few locations (mainly with the 'O' modifiers). A section on the wiki includes "Ka" as a power modifier, however it's not listed in the translator anywhere (not even as a different word). It's probably seldom used or perhaps even archaic by now.

I think that's enough for today, perhaps a while. :)

Support

Mon May 16, 2016 11:54 am