Team: Sykes
Main: PlasmitetheSecond
Level: 858

Post A few things you've already heard before
But I'd have regrets if I didn't say them again before I threw in the towel on my SS years, so, here they are again.

(Oh in case you didn't know I was PlasmiteRebirth for the past couple of years, posting on my old acct since I gave away any accounts with usuable items/characters on them.)

*Clears throat*

StarSonata's problems can mostly boil down to a single thing: Entrenched "super" players.

These people have played consistently for many years, accruing vast amounts of game knowledge, wealth, and exploit benefits. And as they go along, these long time players spin off multiple accounts in order to MC, which is, for many obvious reasons, a terrible game mechanic.

Now, is any of that against game rules? No. (Except, in some cases, benefiting from exploits over the years. The amounts of credits some people have from taking advantage of random exploits over the years is phenomenal. Not to mention all the supermodded gear, etc etc)

Anyways, is being a "super" player against the rules? No.

Is it good for the game? -No-.

It's borderline impossible to catch up to these players no matter how many hours you put into the game. If you're lucky (and they don't blow up your bases every uni) you can get yourself up to endgame, where you realize that you're still so far below the "super" players it's depressing.

How to get to their level? Join up with many people and raid for good loot. Be prepared for a long, difficult fight, -especially- if you're new or don't already have gear at the tech level of the raid or higher. Watch as loot is all scooped by one person, and by the arcane method of the day, loot is distributed. -If- anything good drops, -pray- it goes to you. Many good people will give the newer/less powerful player the item they need. This does not change the fact that this loot system is flawed at best. At least there's no more ninja-looting. (Fking Minch)

Oh, but you'll also need to amass a small fortune, since EVERYTHING in SS costs credits. To a "super" player? Credits are nigh-meaningless due to years of colonies and other less approved ways of generating currency. (Farming Oly for augs, etc etc) How should you begin to amass your fortune of tens and hundreds of billions as a new player...? I have no freaking idea. To get to the level where colonies are profitable you need a significant investment to the tune of countless billions into your account, which you can't get without the colonies. So you grind. You sell loot for a -pittance-, since the only things worth credits anymore are super rare and hard to find. Except Aug Condensors, but that's gone now too. Your only real hope is getting handouts from another player.

Anyways this post is long, rambling, and I'm sick of typing. Better things to do. We know what the main problem is. "Super" players support the game, so the game can't offend them/reset the game without losing critical cash flow, but over time the game dies anyways since it doesn't retain new players and it slowly loses the old ones.

Do I have a solution? Not a perfect one. A reset to lvl 0 for everyone. *Booo* *Hisss* Yea yea I know. It's been laughed at before. But as more and more entrenched players quit... does it even matter at this point? How long will this game last anyways? I'd rather it go out trying to revitalize itself than dying a slow death with Sodom and Gomorrah level salt.

Lastly, I'd like to reminisce on the good times I had in SS. As I look back, I realize that almost none of them came at endgame. Shoutout to Ryu, Sky Captain, YMAI, the whole lvl 20 gang back in 05/06. Truly great times as we made countless lvl20 accounts to lay our t12 bases and drones and PvP in our stupid fun f2p wars. Shoutout to Immersi0nn, who is probably the only reason I kept playing in 2011 after checking back in. Started a fresh account and started leveling it up. It was -hard-, like seriously wtf devs. If it was challenging for a seasoned SS player, there's no way a new player could pick it up easily. Then I was told that slaves are basically the only way to level anymore.... yay...

But I didn't like that. So I went out with a Hotrod and an Incin and started leveling the good ol' way, by sitting on the butts of slow SBB/SBGs and burning them to death. The SBBs/SBGs.... were significantly buffed. I quickly picked smaller prey. Over the course of my bumbling with SS's new combat, I ran across a player in a similar situation to me, Immersi0nn. We crossed paths a few times as we leveled up -painstakingly- slowly through traditional combat, and eventually joined the same team, UFO. A crappy, Celestial Garden team run by Nick. (project 7 7 7). Nick was great. Helped us get on our feet a bit, and that team was a -family-. And then, of course, came Starbawk, MCing and destroying our Lac t20 systems (not very well equipped or defended, but I wasn't yet aware then of the strength of a t21 MCer) and our systems were -DONE-. Our offense to deserve this? Starbawk compared himself to a rape victim when people called him Starbawls. I was on his side until then, but Jesus Christ man show some guts and get over something. A stupid online nickname isn't the equivalent of being raped. Anywas, after an absence, new recruits and nonsense and team mergers and team failures and endgame boredom, I left. After I left, Immer left.

When I came back a year or so later, Immer wasn't there. I still tried to play, still had some fun, but the whole game at that point was tied around me getting all my t22s. I was hating my new class (Sniper). Paladin helped set me up in a nice Sniper setup, since -nobody else in the team wanted to play Sniper.- Jesus that class is boring. You see I -was- a Gunner, had been for awhile, even had a nice Antu setup. But the new Avesk missiles were garbage (compared to other t22 gear), useless for DPS, and weapon DPS just wasn't good enough for me to continue using the class as my only combat class.

So in my boredom I set myself a side mission. I farmed the low level zones. I farmed them like CRAZY. All the fun Hyper drops, Arctia, and Vulcan. (Jungle and prismatic empires kinda suck drops-wise) I had long since gotten multiples of all the drops from these places, except one thing. Boreal's Snow Crown.

And then, one day, I got it. Boreal's Snow Crown drop. I was incredibly excited, immediately equipped it, flew around for a few minutes.... then logged off. That was 6 months ago.

At this point, I'm just done. I can't see myself coming back to SS. Last time I quit SS I came back 5 years later, so who knows, maybe i'll happen again. I'd wager against it though.

But hey, if a complete restart happens with everyone at lvl 0 and no assets; or there's a Kickstarter to help fund something like that, let me know. I'm in.

/LongBullshitRantPost

Fri May 20, 2016 11:26 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: A few things you've already heard before
plasmite wrote:
salt.

I've been summoned.

Sat May 21, 2016 12:49 am
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

This could probably work with the Steam release (Ha!) , as against it as I am, I do see the point behind it.

I thought I was pretty end game, my total assets would be just over 1 trillion credits and I thought that was pretty damn good. Recently I saw a fellow team mate with more than a trillion in credits alone and I realised just how out of control the economy was.

I know of several players who exploited Olympus to farm and I can only imagine how much wealth they have stockpiled away. I will never get to that level because I didn't exploit that and with the new commod system which is pretty cool, I still won't get as much as what past people were with Station Y's, simply because of the investment to get those high tier commods compared to just the original metals.

Currently the only dev solution is make larger credit sinks, which just hurts everyone who isn't those few people. A prime example is the Mini-Marinus, just look at the build cost to that T18 ship and tell me it's for the average player to build and use.

Sat May 21, 2016 1:10 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Zeuss wrote:
I know of several players who exploited Olympus to farm and I can only imagine how much wealth they have stockpiled away. I will never get to that level because I didn't exploit that and with the new commod system which is pretty cool, I still won't get as much as what past people were with Station Y's, simply because of the investment to get those high tier commods compared to just the original metals.

You've seen the light.

Sat May 21, 2016 1:19 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

MasterTrader wrote:
Zeuss wrote:

You've seen the light.

I'm making 30b a day off 2 ai bases with Silicon/Fine Space Whiskey. Not doing any of the industrial commods that require non t0 commods.

Ares Warrior farming was one of the worse credit/aug exploits the game has seen since pants was mass banned for having hundreds of trillions. And no one was banned for it. Not even the players who'd been doing it through each "fix" since the beginning of Oly.

So there are players who leveled every alt they own to 3k through Oly, and then farmed trillions with warriors and lambs, and then once that was fixed and vacuum scoops were added, did it again for infinite aug drops. But no one was punished. The damage was "too spread out."

Fuck that. Ban the teams that did it, or at least delete the fucking credits/augs.

Sat May 21, 2016 1:53 am
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

I am all for banning those who were found responsible, but that's probably less likely to happen that resetting everyone to level 0.

Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I agree with OP about exploits giving unfair advantage to exploiters.

But I disagree with rant about new player life being impossible. There is a teammate of mine who has gained 90b+ capping AI ships during the past week. New player experience has 145314192 problems in SS but it's not quite as bad as you said.

I'm actually in favor of having some kind of instant level to 1000 for alts. This was suggested before and some games have this - WoW as an example.

Sat May 21, 2016 10:03 am
Main: Buggy123
Level: 5141

I agree that you probably can't reasonably catch up to entrenched players, but that doesn't mean you can't do well. You can still get t22 stuff, etc, without nearly that much effort.

Though the fact that it's SO expensive to defend gals is a bit of a problem.

Antilzah wrote:
There is a teammate of mine who has gained 90b+ capping AI ships during the past week.

Wow, what AI ships?

Sat May 21, 2016 12:24 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

buggy123 wrote:
Antilzah wrote:
There is a teammate of mine who has gained 90b+ capping AI ships during the past week.

Wow, what AI ships?

Im curious about this as well.

Sat May 21, 2016 7:34 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

Joining a team that has valuable info is the key.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Sat May 21, 2016 8:41 pm

My teammate goofy has been playing for all of 4 unis. Most of his characters are < level 1k, he only has i think 2 p2p accounts, the rest are f2p. He makes around the same income I do per uni, few trillion. And if you pay attention to mining scores at all, that's why. He mines on all of his characters, all the time. And does most of the kits you see in EF layer on Red Faction. He's a solo player pretty much entirely, we just offer advice when he asks but he generally figures everything out by himself.

Just gotta put time into the game, it rewards just as much effort as you put in.

Sat May 21, 2016 8:49 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

ELITE wrote:
My teammate goofy has been playing for all of 4 unis. Most of his characters are < level 1k, he only has i think 2 p2p accounts, the rest are f2p. He makes around the same income I do per uni, few trillion. And if you pay attention to mining scores at all, that's why. He mines on all of his characters, all the time. And does most of the kits you see in EF layer on Red Faction. He's a solo player pretty much entirely, we just offer advice when he asks but he generally figures everything out by himself.

Just gotta put time into the game, it rewards just as much effort as you put in.

:roll:

Sat May 21, 2016 9:34 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

7 Dem T14 STM kits, backed up by 14 Dem (whatever) T14 kits will defend against PVB, random 1-3 Junk BVB, and show you that you've actually invested in your defense so 13 won't come knocking.

That's what? 3 characters worth of bases?

"But I don't have three characters! That's too much! I only have one character. I only want one character."

*Ahem*. MMORPG. Get more characters or join a team with more people. If you're all alone, you can't expect people to only come at you one at a time. It is silly to expect a team like SRX to *only* deploy 1 siege kit from one character and wait 24h after the death of the first siege base before deploying a second.

Sat May 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Dude like 2 characters worth of t16 junkyards will kill pvb squads. Or if you want to go true budget, fucking t12 golden kits shit on players. Lol.

Sat May 21, 2016 10:30 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

plasmite wrote:
But I'd have regrets if I didn't say them again before I threw in the towel on my SS years, so, here they are again.

(Oh in case you didn't know I was PlasmiteRebirth for the past couple of years, posting on my old acct since I gave away any accounts with usuable items/characters on them.)

*Clears throat*

StarSonata's problems can mostly boil down to a single thing: Entrenched "super" players.

These people have played consistently for many years, accruing vast amounts of game knowledge, wealth, and exploit benefits. And as they go along, these long time players spin off multiple accounts in order to MC, which is, for many obvious reasons, a terrible game mechanic.

Now, is any of that against game rules? No. (Except, in some cases, benefiting from exploits over the years. The amounts of credits some people have from taking advantage of random exploits over the years is phenomenal. Not to mention all the supermodded gear, etc etc)

Anyways, is being a "super" player against the rules? No.

Is it good for the game? -No-.

It's borderline impossible to catch up to these players no matter how many hours you put into the game. If you're lucky (and they don't blow up your bases every uni) you can get yourself up to endgame, where you realize that you're still so far below the "super" players it's depressing.

How to get to their level? Join up with many people and raid for good loot. Be prepared for a long, difficult fight, -especially- if you're new or don't already have gear at the tech level of the raid or higher. Watch as loot is all scooped by one person, and by the arcane method of the day, loot is distributed. -If- anything good drops, -pray- it goes to you. Many good people will give the newer/less powerful player the item they need. This does not change the fact that this loot system is flawed at best. At least there's no more ninja-looting. (Fking Minch)

Oh, but you'll also need to amass a small fortune, since EVERYTHING in SS costs credits. To a "super" player? Credits are nigh-meaningless due to years of colonies and other less approved ways of generating currency. (Farming Oly for augs, etc etc) How should you begin to amass your fortune of tens and hundreds of billions as a new player...? I have no freaking idea. To get to the level where colonies are profitable you need a significant investment to the tune of countless billions into your account, which you can't get without the colonies. So you grind. You sell loot for a -pittance-, since the only things worth credits anymore are super rare and hard to find. Except Aug Condensors, but that's gone now too. Your only real hope is getting handouts from another player.

Anyways this post is long, rambling, and I'm sick of typing. Better things to do. We know what the main problem is. "Super" players support the game, so the game can't offend them/reset the game without losing critical cash flow, but over time the game dies anyways since it doesn't retain new players and it slowly loses the old ones.

Do I have a solution? Not a perfect one. A reset to lvl 0 for everyone. *Booo* *Hisss* Yea yea I know. It's been laughed at before. But as more and more entrenched players quit... does it even matter at this point? How long will this game last anyways? I'd rather it go out trying to revitalize itself than dying a slow death with Sodom and Gomorrah level salt.

Lastly, I'd like to reminisce on the good times I had in SS. As I look back, I realize that almost none of them came at endgame. Shoutout to Ryu, Sky Captain, YMAI, the whole lvl 20 gang back in 05/06. Truly great times as we made countless lvl20 accounts to lay our t12 bases and drones and PvP in our stupid fun f2p wars. Shoutout to Immersi0nn, who is probably the only reason I kept playing in 2011 after checking back in. Started a fresh account and started leveling it up. It was -hard-, like seriously wtf devs. If it was challenging for a seasoned SS player, there's no way a new player could pick it up easily. Then I was told that slaves are basically the only way to level anymore.... yay...

But I didn't like that. So I went out with a Hotrod and an Incin and started leveling the good ol' way, by sitting on the butts of slow SBB/SBGs and burning them to death. The SBBs/SBGs.... were significantly buffed. I quickly picked smaller prey. Over the course of my bumbling with SS's new combat, I ran across a player in a similar situation to me, Immersi0nn. We crossed paths a few times as we leveled up -painstakingly- slowly through traditional combat, and eventually joined the same team, UFO. A crappy, Celestial Garden team run by Nick. (project 7 7 7). Nick was great. Helped us get on our feet a bit, and that team was a -family-. And then, of course, came Starbawk, MCing and destroying our Lac t20 systems (not very well equipped or defended, but I wasn't yet aware then of the strength of a t21 MCer) and our systems were -DONE-. Our offense to deserve this? Starbawk compared himself to a rape victim when people called him Starbawls. I was on his side until then, but Jesus Christ man show some guts and get over something. A stupid online nickname isn't the equivalent of being raped. Anywas, after an absence, new recruits and nonsense and team mergers and team failures and endgame boredom, I left. After I left, Immer left.

When I came back a year or so later, Immer wasn't there. I still tried to play, still had some fun, but the whole game at that point was tied around me getting all my t22s. I was hating my new class (Sniper). Paladin helped set me up in a nice Sniper setup, since -nobody else in the team wanted to play Sniper.- Jesus that class is boring. You see I -was- a Gunner, had been for awhile, even had a nice Antu setup. But the new Avesk missiles were garbage (compared to other t22 gear), useless for DPS, and weapon DPS just wasn't good enough for me to continue using the class as my only combat class.

So in my boredom I set myself a side mission. I farmed the low level zones. I farmed them like CRAZY. All the fun Hyper drops, Arctia, and Vulcan. (Jungle and prismatic empires kinda suck drops-wise) I had long since gotten multiples of all the drops from these places, except one thing. Boreal's Snow Crown.

And then, one day, I got it. Boreal's Snow Crown drop. I was incredibly excited, immediately equipped it, flew around for a few minutes.... then logged off. That was 6 months ago.

At this point, I'm just done. I can't see myself coming back to SS. Last time I quit SS I came back 5 years later, so who knows, maybe i'll happen again. I'd wager against it though.

But hey, if a complete restart happens with everyone at lvl 0 and no assets; or there's a Kickstarter to help fund something like that, let me know. I'm in.

/LongBullshitRantPost

I read one sentence. Why do you have to compete with other players to play the game? if you really enjoyed wild space that much, you wouldnt be a twat and you would adapt. so you enjoy the other aspects, which has nothing to do with your power compared to others.

so fuck off and play the game

Sun May 22, 2016 11:24 pm