Team: Eminence Front
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Post Starting from 0. Time to see what new players see!
I plan to start a project on my own to start a new alt. Start from nothing with only the knowledge from an endgame player (since I haven't played low lvl for long time I don't think I know much anymore from back then. And the nexus been changed a ton).

I will also try to update the progress and problems I see and find, so devs can fix them (if they care enough ofc).

Let the journey begin!

Lvl 0-10
Just started. In this section I will post how the game itself go (lvling/DGing/trading) and in the section below (The problems) I will post things like bugs, unbalanced stuff and other problems.
Lvl 0, killing some earthforce scum. Noone likes them anyway. Trough the horrors of earthforce I found my way to a bigger galaxy. Called the nexus! Finding new enemies, new friends (good old Ahab). Upgrading my Zebucart to a Heavy Zebucart. Time to show those rats who's boss! Killed all the rats now and some more cadets. Me and my volcom friends have taken over the whisky outpost and from now on you can find me there!

The problems

UI bugs
Event tells you to move to the AI base, there is no AI base in Mutara Scrapyard.
After relogging some missions have reset (had to kill the heavy cadets again).
The mission to upgrade the Zebucart asks you to UPGRADE the ship in order to finish the mission. It should ask to just buy the upgrade (and let it finish when bought).

UI improvements
Mission dialog of the first mission goes away way to fast (Don't let it go away on it's own). Later finding out it's by far not the only mission...
Small mission arrows (double the size if not more or brighter).

Gameplay problems
New players don't know how things look like and how to select them.
So far there is nowhere said how to use choose some gear (like what to look at for energy (elec temp, regen, bank), shields (regen, bank and mods)).

Gameplay balance

Last edited by lordjeroen on Sat May 28, 2016 5:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Starting from 0. Time to see what new players see!
This sounds like a great idea. Best of luck.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed May 25, 2016 11:58 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

I tried to do this when I got on the Steam Beta thing for SS, played for about an hour and got really tired of sending crash dumps in every 3-5 minutes. Haven't touched noobdom since.

Wed May 25, 2016 2:28 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Congrats you've overtaken your main :)

Wed May 25, 2016 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

The level of crash dumps is insane at times.

Wed May 25, 2016 5:47 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

I did this a while back, i actually have notes somewhere about it...

Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Here it is, ha long time ago...

Nexus Test.

Cadet

Mission popups disappear to fast.

Doesnt say how to targets enemies. You can shoot in their direction or click them.

The mission that tells you to train weapons 1 should have the skills tab pointed at or highlighted or something, same for EE. I can see how this can get some players stuck and quit.

Cant power Cadet Beam, low lvl players shouldnt be experiencing powering problems.

Perhaps add a sell option to items poppus when you click on them. In addition to the unequipt and equipt options.

Add autoscoop.

Bored. The lvling seems tidious at this point and the missions are pretty boring. Should be running through lvls right now and destroying things. Players need a huge beef at the begining and the xp gains need a huge left.

Getting a better ship mission doesnt complete or show completed when you buy the heavy zebucart upgrade.

Explain how to use the zoom in and out features.

Rattie Moe and Maggot Master should be bigger wayy bigger.

Some usefull information that pops up i event chat should probably be a different color. Like when you first die, it explains how to get back in your ship once it turns yellow. The tutorial bot should cover this and the event chat of this should be red or something.

After you go into a gal that the pointer is telling you to go to, if you warp back out of it the pointer disappears. Could leave some players confused. Pointer should stay active till the mission goal is acomplished (usually is kill 2 enemies in that gal).

Radio Frequencies should point you to a base to buy the shipscanner instead of the volcoms and sat and killed 4 volcoms before i realized i didnt have to. Also this would be a good time to explain hot keys and how you can add tweaks and other things such as ship scanners to hotkeys.

Ive crashed too many times giving up. Made it to lvl 17 before i got tired of the crashes and was really bored.

Wed May 25, 2016 6:22 pm

redalert150 wrote:
Here it is, ha long time ago...

Nexus Test.

Cadet

Mission popups disappear to fast.

Doesnt say how to targets enemies. You can shoot in their direction or click them.

The mission that tells you to train weapons 1 should have the skills tab pointed at or highlighted or something, same for EE. I can see how this can get some players stuck and quit.

Cant power Cadet Beam, low lvl players shouldnt be experiencing powering problems.

Perhaps add a sell option to items poppus when you click on them. In addition to the unequipt and equipt options.

Add autoscoop.

Bored. The lvling seems tidious at this point and the missions are pretty boring. Should be running through lvls right now and destroying things. Players need a huge beef at the begining and the xp gains need a huge left.

Getting a better ship mission doesnt complete or show completed when you buy the heavy zebucart upgrade.

Explain how to use the zoom in and out features.

Rattie Moe and Maggot Master should be bigger wayy bigger.

Some usefull information that pops up i event chat should probably be a different color. Like when you first die, it explains how to get back in your ship once it turns yellow. The tutorial bot should cover this and the event chat of this should be red or something.

After you go into a gal that the pointer is telling you to go to, if you warp back out of it the pointer disappears. Could leave some players confused. Pointer should stay active till the mission goal is acomplished (usually is kill 2 enemies in that gal).

Radio Frequencies should point you to a base to buy the shipscanner instead of the volcoms and sat and killed 4 volcoms before i realized i didnt have to. Also this would be a good time to explain hot keys and how you can add tweaks and other things such as ship scanners to hotkeys.

Ive crashed too many times giving up. Made it to lvl 17 before i got tired of the crashes and was really bored.

<3 This is a great feedback for the beginnings from a new player perspective. I also was planning something like this. But also adding progress and how I got there for your amusement and for the devs so they can tweak some things up where needed (before the steam release). I mainly do it because endgame is getting boring and want to try something new again.

Wed May 25, 2016 6:50 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

The Volcom Beam/Cadet Beam has a role as long as you have flux capacitor, because the bank is enough to kill something. But then a mission tells you to switch to Coldfusion, which can't power it long enough.

Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Curious to see how long you'll keep going as a noob. This feedback is invaluable to the dev team (assuming they care enough to read it) because a majority of the incoming players from Steam will be in your shoes. And a majority of them will probably quit.

Wed May 25, 2016 7:31 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I think it would be really helpful if you could take a little extra time and break up your feedback into categories. For example:

UI bugs
UI improvements
Gameplay crashes
Gameplay balance

Not every dev works on all four of these categories, so if they just see a wall of text they may not read it at all.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed May 25, 2016 8:24 pm
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I was thinking of something like this before. Good luck.

Thu May 26, 2016 7:23 am

anilv wrote:
I think it would be really helpful if you could take a little extra time and break up your feedback into categories. For example:

UI bugs
UI improvements
Gameplay crashes
Gameplay balance

Not every dev works on all four of these categories, so if they just see a wall of text they may not read it at all.

Thanks. Will work on this.
ELITE wrote:
Curious to see how long you'll keep going as a noob.

I atleast hope to get out of the nexus!

Thu May 26, 2016 8:53 am