Main: Renaissance
Level: 0

Post Mac and Star Sonata?
Hello hello,

Original Outcast/Arctic Munkey/Howl here..

Wondering about playing SS on Mac? I managed to get to the loading screen using the software Wine, but once in game all I get is four separate screens of indiscernible mess.

Any solutions?

P.S. Waiting around for steam release lul. Nice to see you all again.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:09 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Mac and Star Sonata?
Hello and welcome back. Could you pull up System Information and click on Graphics/Displays? It makes a big difference if you only have Intel Iris Pro listed under Video Cards, or if you have another card as well.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed May 25, 2016 12:12 pm

All I have is the in-built Intel HD Graphics 5000 which is implemented standard for all MacBook Airs.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:36 pm
over 9000!

I've poked Jey about it on your behalf. You might have some trouble getting SS to run on that card.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:58 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Trumpet Girl
Level: 2388

I hope you get it working. Good to see you back!

Wed May 25, 2016 1:29 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: ahileus
Level: 3759

Go Liverpool!

Thu May 26, 2016 12:56 am

BUMP:

Hello hello. I've been trying to follow the guide Jey (I assume?) left under 'Mac and Linex' guide, but I can't seem to get it to work.

For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

Mac Installation Guide

Preliminaries: This guide assumes you have an Intel Mac running OS 10.6 or above. Any Mac made in the past 8 years has an Intel chip, and you can check your OS version by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac." You also need administrative access on the computer. 1. Download and install XQuartz and Xcode (both free). 2. Open up Terminal (click the magnifying glass menu at the top right of the screen, type "Terminal," and click the first item that pops up). Paste in the following command and press Enter.
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homeb ... er/install)"
3. Press Enter again when the Terminal asks if it should proceed. (Note: if you get an error, try navigating to github.com; the server may be down). If it asks for a password, type in the administrative password and press Enter (it won't show any keystrokes when you do). When it's done, type the following command and press Enter.
brew doctor
4. Type the following command and press enter. You will have to type "agree" and press Enter to agree to the license.
sudo xcodebuild -license
5. In the Terminal, type the following command and press enter. This may take a really long time (i.e. more than an hour). Just let it run in the background and check from time to time
brew install wine
6. Download the Star Sonata installer .exe from the website. It will appear in your Downloads folder unless you have set your browser up to put it somewhere else. (if it's not there and you aren't familiar with the Unix filesystem, just drag it over to Downloads for simplicity). 7. Once it is in your Downloads folder, enter the following lines into Terminal
cd $HOME/Downloads
wine starsonata2_installer.exe
8. A program called X11 will launch and you will be able to go through the installer as if you were using Windows. Choose the default install location. 9. Enter the following into Terminal to launch Star Sonata
cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/$USER/Application\ Data/Star\ Sonata\ 2/
wine Star\ Sonata.exe &> /dev/null

Now - I've downloaded XQuartz and Xcode, I've then pasted the following into terminal: ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homeb ... er/install)"

However, I get the following error: curl: (6) Could not resolve host: raw.githubusercontent.com

Any idea how to resolve this? I'd like to play through again, given I haven't played for over three years (I think..) and steam release is approaching, so perhaps I could add some input.

Cheers!

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:21 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Horacio
Level: 5465

Nice to see you again OC.

Orig Nath~

You're free to call me Nath if you wish :)

Janussi/Horacio/Jenkins/Hutchinson/Quillan

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:06 am
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

WillPower wrote:
Hello hello. I've been trying to follow the guide Jey (I assume?) left under 'Mac and Linex' guide, but I can't seem to get it to work.

The wine drivers for your intel HD graphics card are buggy, you won't be able to run star sonata unless you want to run it in a virtual machine or under bootcamp.

You're also getting an unrelated error that means for some reason your DNS server doesn't know the IP address of raw.githubusercontent.com and can't install homebrew. Fixing that problem won't let your graphics card run the game under OSX though.

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:39 am
over 9000!

Hi, as the other poster wrote you will not have much success getting SS to run on that machine through wine. Your best bet would be to obtain a copy of Windows and install it on a partition of your computer's hard drive. Apple has made it relatively painless to do this. You will have to boot over to the Windows side to play the game but with the SSD in that computer it will only take about 10 seconds to do that.

Also: sorry I didn't get back to you after my original response. I did talk to Jey and he gave the expected reply that it wouldn't work. I forgot to relay that information to you.

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:51 pm

So to clarify - the guide on the website and the one I posted above doesn't work?

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:46 am

WillPower wrote:
So to clarify - the guide on the website and the one I posted above doesn't work?

Doesn't currently work with the Intel integrated graphics chipset under OSX.

If you have a discrete GPU eg. a Nvidia or AMD graphics card the guide works.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 am
over 9000!

WillPower wrote:

It works if your machine is up to spec. Unfortunately, most mac laptops ship with just the Intel graphics card, which isn't sufficient to play SS on wine. I'll see if I can get someone to edit the instructions to include this fact.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:08 pm

I agree with Enk.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Welp, rip SS. I'm currently living in Beijing and I'm not sure I can do anything about booting over Windows. I'll look into it, I guess. I'd just like to play a bit before/during steam release.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:17 am