Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

Post Re: ss is dead
ELITE wrote:
The combined effort of all of the endgamers who want to see SS survive has been the only driving force keep us afloat for years and years now.

... and it's now reached the point where the majority of us are giving up and throwing in the towel. What hurts most is that many of us waited out the years hoping the game wasn't just going to keep going down the toilet. That's pretty much exactly what it's done. A good portion of RE have pretty much given up and are quitting, pretty much just completely done with the game.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:53 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

cej1120con wrote:
I may have an endgame character, but honestly. I want to play like a noob. I don't like playing like a lot of the tryhard endgamers on here. I want to play like a noob, build like a noob, and be left in peace. If I get curbstomped because I picked a fight, alright. But I don't feel like it's possible to A) be left alone and keep to myself and B) get anywhere

I'm really sorry to the endgame tryhards who think that's not okay.

I don't have the daily time to devote to being a goddamn tryhard. Don't penalize me for it when I'd be paying the SAME monthly subscription as someone who does.

I really have wanted to try playing SS again. But these nuances always made me ask myself "why bother?"

This.

When I first started SS, I saw it as cool casual arcade version of Eve online and that really sparked my interest. Slowly it all changed when new endgame gear was made harder and harder to acquire to the point where new players were required to join top team and get massive donations from legacy players in order to get their hands on decent gear. Gene pool of legacy players certainly didn't help with the problem of SS becoming way too hardcore for it's target audience.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:58 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

ELITE wrote:
And I'm not trying to discredit all the work the volunteer devs have been putting in recently. The combined effort of all of the endgamers who want to see SS survive has been the only driving force keep us afloat for years and years now. But bits and pieces and bandaid fixes obviously haven't been working. This massive rebalance of the endgame should have been happening six fucking years ago before Olympus started powercreeping the game, not now as we're months away from finally being on Steam. Back when we had an actual playerbase to test things with. Or play with, for that matter.

I am actually really glad about your post, even though it does touch on some hard truths about the game. I have often wished that I had been about 5 years older than I was when I found SS--if I had been I would have gotten involved in p2p and then the dev team much earlier, and I think I would have pushed for the kinds of endgame revamps you are talking about. Maybe one voice wouldn't have been enough, but it could have made a difference.

Masterful wrote:
... and it's now reached the point where the majority of us are giving up and throwing in the towel. What hurts most is that many of us waited out the years hoping the game wasn't just going to keep going down the toilet. That's pretty much exactly what it's done. A good portion of RE have pretty much given up and are quitting, pretty much just completely done with the game.

Anyway, I appreciate you and Lemon for being honest about this. At the end of the day, my investment in SS is just like yours and it also super bums me out to think about the possibility of the game closing its doors someday. At this point, we are all just doing what we can to see if we can avert that fate. Usually the devs shoot for a more upbeat tone on the forum because someone's gotta do it, but I wanted you all to know that I very much share your concerns and am just trying my best to keep it together.

Antilzah wrote:
When I first started SS, I saw it as cool casual arcade version of Eve online and that really sparked my interest. Slowly it all changed when new endgame gear was made harder and harder to acquire to the point where new players were required to join top team and get massive donations from legacy players in order to get their hands on decent gear. Gene pool of legacy players certainly didn't help with the problem of SS becoming way too hardcore for it's target audience.

As you know, I 100% agree that the game suffered from years of unchecked power creep that took it away from some of the great principles it was founded on. We are currently trying to rip off some of those old bandaids, with about as much player approval as you'd expect. All I can say is it's the best we can do at this point. I don't know if our work this year will be enough to make the game a hit on Steam, but we definitely have done our best.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:48 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

anilv wrote:

As you know, I 100% agree that the game suffered from years of unchecked power creep that took it away from some of the great principles it was founded on. We are currently trying to rip off some of those old bandaids, with about as much player approval as you'd expect. All I can say is it's the best we can do at this point. I don't know if our work this year will be enough to make the game a hit on Steam, but we definitely have done our best.

Tell me all about how modular gear is a bad thing... spoiler alert everyone; enkelin is about to drop a shit ton of confirmation bias and speculation as "undisputable fact" that a system that has worked perfectly for years and no one has asked to be changed is broken.

Anyway, aside from that intentionally snide remark which I feel like was sort of warranted by enkelin being a real fuck stick and brushing off legitimate player concerns with "about as much player approval as you'd expect", I actually agree with most of the current changes and proposals but the modular base gear nerf is another one of those fucking bandaid that you say you're removing. You're just making shit cheap so that hopefully less people leave when someone like 13 starts a slash and burn campaign on the noobs, but he subs too many accounts so no one has the balls to ban him or develop a decent pvp system that prevents him.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:20 am

So please for fuck's sake, quit blaming base gear on the administration's inaction in the face of an endgame player razing your entry level playerbase, because you were presented with every fucking opportunity to stop him and set a precedent, but I guess Voomy was the last admin that had a pair of balls...

Seriously people complained about Voomy, but even more people still played, and they typically took the threat of a ban seriously. The current team is a laughing stock though... 5t exploit? Have a 3 month ban... Single handedly cost SS hundreds of dollars in entry and end game subs? We'll just wait for you to get bored and quit.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 am

And you may just think me butt hurt, and trying to flame. However, the fact is in the 10, almost 11 years, I have been playing SS right now is the only time that I have not had absolute faith & confidence in the administration/dev team. Now I have no faith in it at all to do anything but see SS close its doors in the next year.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:34 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

ELITE wrote:
PvP has never been "worth it" economically. BvB costs too much. It's not about that, it's about the fun of it. And fighting noobs is not what I'm referring to. Our bloody rampage was an attempt to find a challenge in the game, and it ended up making many people quit. Sucks for the game, and for us.

That being said, the playerbase used to be able to sustain those level of rage quits, but enough of them over the years combined with Bageese leaving, lack of communication from the dev team, no real direction from Jeff himself, and what, 4 years spent trying to get on Steam?

It might be too late to save us. If Steam doesn't revive the game's playerbase, I don't think SS will be around much longer. And that actually hurts to say out loud but I think we've all been noticing the decline.

The rageposts, the anger at the devs, people quitting for whatever reason, it's not because the game sucks. It's not because people are OP, or because things are too hard. It's because the community is gone. SS feels like a game where you will literally never encounter another player while playing the game. As an MMO, that's not a good thing. I used to play SS for the social interaction, to meet people and hang out with the crazy personalities we had going on. But all of those people have quit for whatever reason. Real life, bannings, game breaking exploits, bugs, pvp, wars, whatever. And we have no real incoming new players that survive past the first few hours.

I don't really know where I'm going with this other than I fucking love this game. And for over 10 years I've been playing, 9 years supporting with my subscriptions, and probably 8 years trying to make suggestions and help the devs test shit, make the game better via teaching any way I could. I also spent a good portion of the last 3-4 years making Youtube content so that I could somehow help the game anyway I could.

But we're still dying. And every time one of these posts comes up, I see the same anger echoed across the playerbase. We all want the game to survive. We all disagree on how to make that happen, but I see it as a failure on Jeff's part to direct the game. To manage SS as a business, not as a fucking college plaything. This game has infinite potential, if it were marketed and managed correctly in today's gaming world it would be fucking huge. But instead our playerbase is less than a few hundred and rapidly declining as the uni's go by.

EDIT: And I'm not trying to discredit all the work the volunteer devs have been putting in recently. The combined effort of all of the endgamers who want to see SS survive has been the only driving force keep us afloat for years and years now. But bits and pieces and bandaid fixes obviously haven't been working. This massive rebalance of the endgame should have been happening six fucking years ago before Olympus started powercreeping the game, not now as we're months away from finally being on Steam. Back when we had an actual playerbase to test things with. Or play with, for that matter.

Bravo.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:47 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

It's taken me years to admit that maybe it's time to move on from SS to myself. Been playing this game since I was 12, on and off. Never more than a year break since 2006.

And it sucks. It really does. I grew up with a lot of you guys, hating each other or loving each other we still spend so much time together that it feels like I'm walking away from a huge group of childhood friends.

But so many people have already left, there's less than maybe 30 active forum users. The most online ever is somewhere over 300 back in 2005. I rarely see more than 10 nowadays. Discord is great, but we had IRC for years and all it turned into was bitching at the devs to fix bugs, and then eventually no devs bothered to come on except afk Bobbo. In my opinion we desperately need to replace the hole that Bageese left. Having someone focused on communicating with the player base and making sure no one feels left out or pissed off is highly important. We literally had to bitch for years to get comprehensive patch notes. How pathetic is that? Or even to get any information about game breaking shit.

If you can't manage to be transparent with your playerbase about literally everything, you might want to reconsider your priorities. Without a playerbase, the game doesn't exist. It's just over.

Players need to come first. Game development is great, but if you have no one to enjoy the content you're putting out, or don't manage to advertise it at all, then why the fuck are you even wasting your volunteer time?

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:05 pm
Main: SypomII
Level: 1844

What made myself quit was me, with tech 21 gear, getting my ass handed to me on a plate by some random stranger in ps.

Power gap is a thing, and pvp is very annoying when you loose billions in drone repairs couse youre getting outranged and outdamaged by splash weapons.

I was by no means an endgame player, but getting stomped on by people who could afford to MC multiple full tech 22 gear with no chance to retaliate whatsoever, made me feel powerless, and that was unfun.

It is fun to play the game, but its hard to compete for space and power when 90% of all the currency is in the hands of 5% of the playerbase.

Some people say to never try to lay bases on galaxies that might be contested by stronger people, but said stronger players often destroyed bases that were on underappreciated galaxies too, just for the hell of it.

Most people on this thread are hypocrites, saying they want more players to play the game, but all they want are more noobs to bully.

Also: Players should NEVER be able to kill bases without the help of bases.

PS: Im still waiting for my 2014 xmas letter competition reward.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:50 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Sypom wrote:
What made myself quit was me, with tech 21 gear, getting my ass handed to me on a plate by some random stranger in ps.

Power gap is a thing, and pvp is very annoying when you loose billions in drone repairs couse youre getting outranged and outdamaged by splash weapons.

I was by no means an endgame player, but getting stomped on by people who could afford to MC multiple full tech 22 gear with no chance to retaliate whatsoever, made me feel powerless, and that was unfun.

It is fun to play the game, but its hard to compete for space and power when 90% of all the currency is in the hands of 5% of the playerbase.

Some people say to never try to lay bases on galaxies that might be contested by stronger people, but said stronger players often destroyed bases that were on underappreciated galaxies too, just for the hell of it.

Most people on this thread are hypocrites, saying they want more players to play the game, but all they want are more noobs to bully.

Also: Players should NEVER be able to kill bases without the help of bases.

PS: Im still waiting for my 2014 xmas letter competition reward.

*Cough* This is the type of player I'm thinking about when I advocate for the changes I have in mind. *Cough*

Whether this guy is the perfect example or not, its not fun getting repeatedly dong smashed (thanks for that one enkelin) by people you have no hope of getting away from or even hurting. When death means almost nothing to them but everything to you, the game isn't carebear for you. It's carebear for the wealthy and powerful, but not for you as a lower end player.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:17 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

A complete wipe before Steam launch and loads of advertising can save the game imho because it has so much potential. I personally quit playing because there just weren't enough players around anymore and I got bored, this being the only game I ever really got into without being bored (which is a really good thing and shows the potential!). Asides from that the game is just too fucked right now, the economy is too overinflated because of excessive farming and colonies with only a small % of the players holding almost all assets and credits.

I'm wondering though if the tutorial area can handle loads of players, maybe it should be instanced (if it's not already I'm not completely sure)?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Full wipe would definately get me into seriously considering playing the game again. But then again, wipe has been discussed a lot over the forums during the past few years and majority of the playerbase seems to be against it.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:02 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

That and utilize all the emails from all accounts to spam everyone an email that a full wipe has happened together with steam launch and it might get a lot of players back.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:53 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

Dom wrote:
I'm wondering though if the tutorial area can handle loads of players, maybe it should be instanced (if it's not already I'm not completely sure)?

We're already working to avoid the issue of too many people. I believe it went something along the lines of, the quicker it's killed after it initially spawned, the quicker it respawns (or quicker respawn as more players are in the galaxy, I'm not sure anymore). Although an instance may be required, for now this should be good to allow all players to progress despite being surrounded by many others.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:02 pm
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

As much as I hate it myself. A complete reset is the only thing that can safe this game.
Steam launch is basically useless without it. New players will fell useless, underpowered etc.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next