Team: Eminence Front
Main: kwilson
Level: 5328

Post Developer Update for New Universe
I would like to see a Developer Blog post that details the state of the Development team at the start of each universe. Who are the devs? What do they do? In game characters? etc.

This would be beneficial to the player base in many ways, one of which is to know which devs are active and able to respond to and address issues.

I realize that the Dev team changes from time to time and I think it would be nice to get an update on the team at the start of each universe.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:35 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Developer Update for New Universe
kwilson wrote:
I would like to see a Developer Blog post that details the state of the Development team at the start of each universe. Who are the devs? What do they do? In game characters? etc.

This would be beneficial to the player base in many ways, one of which is to know which devs are active and able to respond to and address issues.

I realize that the Dev team changes from time to time and I think it would be nice to get an update on the team at the start of each universe.

That seems reasonable. If you can come up with a more complete template I think we can probably get the answers for you.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:04 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

*patrick "who are you people"*

Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Main: kwilson
Level: 5328

Here's a little something for you to consider:

Developer Name:
How long have you been playing Star Sonata:
Favorite in game Ship:
Development responsibilities:
In game Character name:
How long have you been a developer?
Favorite SS Lore:
What do you like the most about SS?
Why did you become a developer?
What is one thing in SS you are an expert at?

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:44 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I'm just going to answer those here for now. If someone else wants to tabulate all the responses into a blog post, I'll point them here.

Developer Name: yclepticon

How long have you been playing Star Sonata: since May 2005, with some breaks

Favorite in game Ship: UrQa Suqqa Vazuk for travel, AWC+ for looks and combat

Development responsibilities: Identify major balance issues and address them, consult with other devs on the balance of their projects, devise dev community standards and keep the team to them. My job is basically to be a living balance sheet for the game.

In game Character name: enkelin

How long have you been a developer? Since March 14, 2012

Favorite SS Lore: In the player history of the game, when one team built their palace inside a DG to prevent others from attacking it. In the natural history, Enigmatic Sector is the coolest (or should I choose Lady Kelvin…)

What do you like the most about SS? The spectrum of arcade combat with 4X-style econ

Why did you become a developer? I originally signed on as a player consultant to provide quality assurance in the wake of some questionable content decisions such as the Prawn and Hermes Caduceus. I wanted to lend my theorycrafting knowledge to the dev team to fix existing balance issues and hopefully catch new ones before they went live.

What is one thing in SS you are an expert at? Base-related combat.

Bonus question: What did you accomplish as a dev this year? I managed to finish the second round of rebalancing bases, moving them even further in the direction of being new-player friendly. There's been some debate about whether the new system will work as intended, so I'm excited to see it in action next uni. I created the Industrial Commodities system with help from Morat, Ryan, and a few others. I also helped in the revamp of class skills by providing a spreadsheet that other devs could use to compare the new system with the old one and get things to match up. Beyond this, I did a lot of work behind the scenes to get our large and active team of volunteer devs working smoothly.

Bonus bonus question: What projects are you currently working on? I am rounding out the Station Management 22 project. Depending on who else is able to work on it, we may be able to get it ready for the uni after next (so in about 4 months). It's pretty close but you know how things can get pushed back, so no promises on this one! I do promise to keep the community informed as that project nears completion, however. I am also working on some class balance, with a focus on making each class have a really distinctive feel.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:47 am
Team: Fireflies
Main: The White Wizard
Level: 4276

So it's enkelin who should be burned on the stake not hober, but then nobody cares

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:07 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

I'll throw my hat in the pile as well.

Developer Name: Hober Mallow

How long have you been playing Star Sonata: Since 2005 as a P2P, mid 2004 as an F2P.

Favorite in game Ship: Tough choice, historically it was the Zebu Master. Nowaday's I love the Paxian Warships that act as AI bases in Subspace.

Development responsibilities: Content additions, content balancing, writing development documents, enriching the early to mid game.

In game Character name: Why? So you can chain pod me? It's the same as my Developer Name.

How long have you been a developer? Since June of 2016

Favorite SS Lore: Paxians, I really want to see more content with the Paxians as a factor.

What do you like the most about SS? I like the freedom that the game gives players. I also really like the atmosphere, mostly because of the old graphical style.

Why did you become a developer? I wanted to make the game a lot more friendly to newer players, while also increasing the danger for end game players. As it stands you have far more to lose as a newer player when you die than if you are an older player, while you're also significantly weaker than them as well. I'm here because I want to help shift that in some way.

What is one thing in SS you are an expert at? Star Sonata Drama.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:51 pm
Main: Almighty Pixel
Level: 4

Developer Name: Pixel
How long have you been playing Star Sonata: Since 2004 (had 2 year gap).
Favorite in game Ship: Rosmarinus
Development responsibilities: Content developer and community relations.
In-game Character name: Markoz or Pure Evil
How long have you been a developer? 2015 I think?
Favorite SS Lore: None, not a lore person (specially hate alien languages makes me resort to making names up for things like 3 Bana shooter).
What do you like the most about SS? Bases & Strategic Deployment (was PVP also).
Why did you become a developer? To keep the game fun.
What is one thing in SS you are an expert at? Well I'm a person handy at many things, master at none: web development, databases, 3D/2D artwork, programming, UI, advertisement, community relations, content creator. Things I'm allowed to do is content creation, client adjustments outside the coding realm and social media.
Bonus question: What did you accomplish as a dev this year?

Improved sun, background, wormhole textures.
    New AI stations for Industrial Commodity system.
    Base thrusters and planet terraforming bindomite (with Egrosphere).
    Re-done all user bases visually.
    Added superitems to ruin user bases.

Bonus bonus question: What projects are you currently working on?

Bonus bonus question: What projects are you going to work on possibly?

Kalthi Depths content.
    More fun content.
    Tech 23 content.
    Making external tools to the game to get around issues, like a planet manger using packet sniffer.
    Beating Bobbo to item wiki system or making a tool so anyone can do a search term to find something (need permission though).
    Making the client much easier to interface with (basically throwing ideas at other developers, cause I don't have access).

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:56 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Markoz just dropped the mic on the other devs :shock:

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:06 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Markoz just dropped the mic on the other devs :shock:

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:08 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Developer Name: Blue Dwarf (and Bobbo now, I guess).

How long have you been playing Star Sonata: First account registered 8th December 2007, I put the game down for a bit and returned like a month later to play "properly".

Favourite in game Ship: Death Strikers looked cool. C1's Rosmarinus+ was cool (not sure I've seen it in C2).

In game Character name: Jeff Bobbo (and some alts).

How long have you been a developer: 28th April 2011 is when I signed my NDA/made this account.

Development responsibilities: Server code/(minor) content. Joined as a content dev after creating the first Easter holiday event as a player (Jeff emailing me files to edit). Switched to linux around November 2011 and taught myself to program (Perl and C++) and started doing server modifications. Now I pretty much just do server programming and the occasional content modifications to fix or adjust something. I also have access to the database, which gives me all access to all the logs to find exploiters and their alts so I can ban them.

Favourite SS Lore: This is a hard question to answer. I do like seeing people's reaction when they learn that the Icepicks are our equivalent of meth heads (they'd Cloud Mercury junkies). I tend to like the tidbits of the lore in the game, but I like it all overall anyway.

Why did you become a developer: I wanted an Easter event, asked Jeff if I could make it and done it (as a player). He asked if I wanted to join afterwards.

What do you like the most about SS: When I was a newb, I liked building bases. PvP can be fun but we need a better system for it where it's more consensual.

What is one thing in SS you are an expert at: Not sure, I do so little content stuff now my knowledge on it is fading. My knowledge of how the server works is pretty good. I also think a general consensus from the team is I'm the best with scripting languages, although I've only got knowledge on Perl and JS.

I rearranged some of my questions into an order that seemed to make a little more sense (at least to me).

Support

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:55 am
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Trying to find a rosy+ for you Bobbo. I had one somewhere.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:23 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

lordjeroen wrote:

I've got one on my Berserker, I recall, I just don't think I've undocked in it, lol.

Support

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:50 am
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Blue Dwarf wrote:
lordjeroen wrote:

I've got one on my Berserker, I recall, I just don't think I've undocked in it, lol.

Couldn't find it anyway. Ask mooncat to add it to the wiki, it's his job.
Then you can look at it.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:51 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

lordjeroen wrote:
Blue Dwarf wrote:
lordjeroen wrote:

Couldn't find it anyway. Ask mooncat to add it to the wiki, it's his job.
Then you can look at it.

I'll try to do this tomorrow or the day after, whenever I get a chance to stop building bases.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:52 am