Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Post Re: Eta on a fix?
ShawnMcCall wrote:
I do use the startup window.

on the current beta the startup window is bugged, but you can press enter to proceed further. Someone mentioned glitch with the loading screen flashing as well, but it disapear once you log on.

I'm nearly done fixing that part of the new beta, its somewhat deep in the engine so maybe its the same thing thats causing the freeze. I'd still love to know if people are experiencing the freeze on the current beta.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:52 pm
Dev Team

ok, new beta with the startup window as well as ui glitches fixed is now available.

There is still the glitch where the ships in the character selection window don't rotate but thats isolated and should not impact the gameplay.

This is a beta with a lot of the multithreaded rendering operations disabled (all the rendering ones are disabled actually) only the logic multithreading is still enabled. This mean slower loading, logic fps tied with normal fps and a few other things that may result in lower fps on some systems. Assuming i'm not wrong, from the data i received on the freeze, this beta should "fix" it. Altho this is not a proper fix but the hammer approach, its the first step, if / once it confirmed to have worked, ill have to either figure why some gpu have issue with it (and automatically disable on those) or add an option people can change as they wish before it can reach live.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:24 pm
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

Jey123456 wrote:
It may sound weird, but how many of you with the problem have the startup option window enabled ?

I do have the startup option window enabled, on non-beta client.
I'll try the new beta client when I have time available.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 pm
Dev Team

anyone tested/got the freeze on the current beta yet ?

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:55 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

The flashing that I reported isn't there. So that's a plus. I never had the freezing so someone else needs to respond!

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:33 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

No freezes, but I crashed 6-8 times during BNF. I sent 3 of the dumps in

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:42 am
Dev Team

crashes are not a surprise since i pretty much hacked the thing in there. ill see if i can fix them quickly, obviously crashing make it harder to get the freeze xD.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:42 am
Team: The Dividing Contrast
Main: The Ultimatum
Level: 282

Ever since that previous patch i've crashed constantly, had gals take like 5-10 secs to load and most recently crashed 14 times whilst mcing a oly run.

As a sidenote Each time I crashed my cpu usage spiked to 100% from 20-25%

Will try beta and where exactly do i send the dmp files i get on beta?

Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:47 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Been getting crashes lately as well, and I'm not a dirty MCer... Why do I have to suffer even though I'm not a dirty MCer? :(

Btw, I'm using the Steam client so you're getting my DMP's automagically.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:07 pm
Dev Team

potato2 wrote:
Ever since that previous patch i've crashed constantly, had gals take like 5-10 secs to load and most recently crashed 14 times whilst mcing a oly run.

As a sidenote Each time I crashed my cpu usage spiked to 100% from 20-25%

Will try beta and where exactly do i send the dmp files i get on beta?

you send them to dmpfile@starsonata.com and yes theres a crash on the current beta that i'm currently writing a fix for.

MasterTrader wrote:
Been getting crashes lately as well, and I'm not a dirty MCer... Why do I have to suffer even though I'm not a dirty MCer? :(

Btw, I'm using the Steam client so you're getting my DMP's automagically.

ill have a look at the steam dmp page altho theres no garantee i got it since it only send those that are frequent for multiple players (its built around the concept that theres a lot of clients on steam). still considering there hasnt been many dmps sent on there normally, it should have accepted the first few ones.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:32 pm
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

Ok, finally had some time to DL & test beta client.

I'm still seeing the behavior where I can load all clients into char select window and start them, but if I get a bunch actually ingame (and cpu goes high) then load a new client it stops dead on the loading screen.

At the moment I can just see the bottom of the deathstriker. It's been like that for a few minutes.

The other thing I notice is that the client seems to take a lot more resources recently - I used to be able to run the game without my fan running at high rpms but not anymore.

Killing the client stuck on the loading screen dropped the fan speed a little, but it's not back to running how it was at the start of the year.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:54 am
Dev Team

iwnh01 wrote:
Ok, finally had some time to DL & test beta client.

I'm still seeing the behavior where I can load all clients into char select window and start them, but if I get a bunch actually ingame (and cpu goes high) then load a new client it stops dead on the loading screen.

At the moment I can just see the bottom of the deathstriker. It's been like that for a few minutes.

The other thing I notice is that the client seems to take a lot more resources recently - I used to be able to run the game without my fan running at high rpms but not anymore.
Most optimizations i do aim to reduce the time spent on the cpu which in turn translate in more fps and more relative time spent on gpu.

Killing the client stuck on the loading screen dropped the fan speed a little, but it's not back to running how it was at the start of the year.

the fan running faster (gpu heating up more) is likely due to the fps being higher, if you want to drop that, you can set the fps limit in options to something your fine with and your gpu will drop back down.

I am assuming you are referring to the gpu fan, if its a laptop fan, the same answer apply except that it would be from the logic multithreading. Unless you use an fps limit (or vsync force a limit) ss always used at the very least 1 full cpu core, most optimizations have more to do with splitting the work on multiple cores than actually reducing the work since most machines have plenty of cores to work with.

The freezing on load if another game is connected is really strange / makes no sense. One process should not be able to directly affect the other without explicitly doing it (and ss does nothing of the sort XD). I'll try that scenario on a few test machines in hope to reproduce it, initially i thought it could have been the multithreaded load since for some reasons d3d9 thread support seem to not work as well with the new compiler but that beta disabled those so if the problem is still here then its something else.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:50 pm

For some reason, my clients are crashing constantly during runs and SS was taking up loads of CPU usage during the crashes. Steam should be auto sending the dumps right? I'll try to send the other dump files from the other beta client i'm using.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:33 pm
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

The crashes also are not hapening while afk dont know if that helps.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:46 pm

It's mainly when i'm doing runs, both Infernal Darkness and Oly crashed for me.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:53 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next