Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Team: Fireflies
Main: The White Wizard
Level: 4276

Post Re: Eta on a fix?
Possible way of reproducing the "stuck on loading screen" bug: try opening 5 clients at once, or try opening a client when one is already frozen.

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:17 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

The recent crashes also seem to be happening to the most active char i have when mcing a few. Whats progress on this stuff so far Jey?

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:48 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Also crashing while just on 1 client, i use low graphics. Some people using high graphics and stuff claim to not be crashing.

Nevermind crashing on high graphics as well. Fuck this game.

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:25 pm

redalert150 wrote:
Fuck this game.

Save our brethren from making a terrible mistake of downloading this game - make a honest review on steam for star sonata.

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:47 pm
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

Jey123456 wrote:
I am assuming you are referring to the gpu fan, if its a laptop fan, the same answer apply except that it would be from the logic multithreading.

I'm not using a discrete GPU atm, and the heat isn't coming from the GPU's location.
I have 24fps frame limit set, as I did before the game started running the machine hot.
I saw someone (bob?) post on discord they were experiencing this behavior as well.

I don't believe one process is affecting another directly outside of pushing up the CPU usage - I had the same lockup behavior doing a fresh install while the installer was generating compressed textures.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:08 am
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

iwnh01 wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:
I am assuming you are referring to the gpu fan, if its a laptop fan, the same answer apply except that it would be from the logic multithreading.

I'm not using a discrete GPU atm, and the heat isn't coming from the GPU's location.
I have 24fps frame limit set, as I did before the game started running the machine hot.
I saw someone (bob?) post on discord they were experiencing this behavior as well.

I don't believe one process is affecting another directly outside of pushing up the CPU usage - I had the same lockup behavior doing a fresh install while the installer was generating compressed textures.

The compressed texture generation made me realise something. I might have been going wrong about how to reproduce this. What are your specs and os ? I can get a "lockup" here but i need to load 30ish beta clients at the same time, at which point i believe its not abnormal to get a lockup so i didnt consider it. Altho if the number just end up being higher due to something i have 5-6 times more off on my main debug machine then it would be worth investigating.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:37 am
Dev Team

I'm beginning to suspect the cause of all this extra cpu usage some are seeing and the more frequent freezes might not have anything to do with the client cpu usage but instead d3d9 memory usage. Maybe something messed up here, i can reproduce a freeze abnormally high cpu usage when i swamp all my gpu ram and multiple clients still try to load more stuff on there.

On the vs2010 build, the client required about 180mb of gpu to load up then about 220mb once on the connection menu.
On the vs2015 build, for some reasons the client is requiring over twice as much both on load and post load (400-550mb) so something is definitely wrong here and likely the cause of the higher cpu usage and freeze most of those in this topic are experiencing.

This would mean that if on the old client you were able to load 10 clients in parallel before having problems, then now the number would be 5. You can use tools like gpuz to see your gpu memory usage. It would be helpful if someone could confirm what i found and to know if the freeze only happen when the gpu memory is close to full (at which point a lot of back and forth would happen between gpu memory and your pc memory).

I am now investigating where that extra memory usage come from but now that i have actual numbers to work with it should be pretty fast. First tho i want to fix that crash on the current beta.

edit: im no longer sure of this, for some reasons the memory went back down to the same level now.... still id love to know if people experiencing the freeze when loading multiple clients reach their gpu memory limit when the freeze start happening (people that didnt have problems before that is).

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:50 am

I used to be able to run 30 clients, now they freeze if I run 2 or more.

Can you revert the client to what it was before the latest patch?

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:08 am
Dev Team

the white wizard wrote:

I can but then it wont work on liberty so thats not really a solution. It would be about as long if not longer for me to get the old compiler working on the new code, than it will be to fix the new code.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:43 am

Jey123456 wrote:
the white wizard wrote:

I can but then it wont work on liberty so thats not really a solution. It would be about as long if not longer for me to get the old compiler working on the new code, than it will be to fix the new code.

I haven't been able to play the game since you broke it, I can only do minor content like aveksaka and twisted. If I try to do something else then the game goes "fuck you crash and freeze to death" and I end up having to pay 5b repair costs per wipe.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:47 am
Dev Team

new beta client out that fix an issue deep in our renderer (the one that caused the crash since i disabled the other stuff). In theory this one should be stable and hopefully free of the freeze.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:49 am
Dev Team

the white wizard wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:
the white wizard wrote:

I haven't been able to play the game since you broke it, I can only do minor content like aveksaka and twisted. If I try to do something else then the game goes "fuck you crash and freeze to death" and I end up having to pay 5b repair costs per wipe.

If i had known the beta had those problems before it made it live, they would have never reached live. Sadly none of the beta testers had them or reported them so theres not much more i could do about it. Now that i have data on it, thanks to the countless tests from the affected players, im closer than ever to fixing it.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:51 am

What about the loading screen, have you changed "please wait a few seconds" to "please wait a few hours" yet? The loading time was also increased a lot with that patch, now I need 15 minutes to open 14 clients

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:53 am
Dev Team

the white wizard wrote:
What about the loading screen, have you changed "please wait a few seconds" to "please wait a few hours" yet? The loading time was also increased a lot with that patch, now I need 15 minutes to open 14 clients

loading time was increased because i disabled the multithreaded loading. once the freeze is confirmed to be fixed, i can start enabling stuff back and prepare a proper beta client. This one is stuff hacked around to test theory on the freeze / crashes.

As for the freeze, even when loading 20 clients i was unable to experience it so i'm hoping its just the way your machine reacted to the corruption that ocured in the rendering engine. Try the new client and with a bit of luck the issue is fixed.

On a side note, you might need to reboot. If your gpu driver somehow didnt protect its memory, the way the corruption happened it could have messed some of the buffer management causing other weird issues until a gpu restart. Most drivers/os should not allow it to happen so its probably fine, but never know.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:55 am
Dev Team

i'm getting some reports that the issues are fixed on the current beta (loading are still slower than normal on a single client but thats normal and can probably be put back to normal). I'd just like confirmation from everyone else affected that the freeze were fixed in it before i start putting optimizations back in.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:48 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next