over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Dev Team Poll: Cost and Details of Item-Form Service
Hey all, we got into an interesting conversation at the weekly dev meeting and have a question to put to the community. Here's the rundown (don't panic if you are opposed – just tell us why).

1) Ship-forming and augmenter reset services are reduced in cost, about 10 SP (i.e. $5) per.
2) P2P accounts receive some SP reward every month, about 2 SP per month.
3) Ship-forming and augmenter resets will now return the items with a Neurobound tag. You can still pass them through the TSL but you can no longer trade them to a different account.

Would you support these changes? Would you support them with revisions? Would you not support them in any case (because you are very attached to being able to reset stuff and move them off the accounts)?

We look forward to your feedback.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:05 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Re: Dev Team Poll: Cost and Details of Item-Form Service
anilv wrote:
Hey all, we got into an interesting conversation at the weekly dev meeting and have a question to put to the community. Here's the rundown (don't panic if you are opposed – just tell us why).

1) Ship-forming and augmenter reset services are reduced in cost, about 10 SP (i.e. $5) per.
3) Ship-forming and augmenter resets will now return the items with a Neurobound tag. You can still pass them through the TSL but you can no longer trade them to a different account.

Would you support these changes? Would you support them with revisions? Would you not support them in any case (because you are very attached to being able to reset stuff and move them off the accounts)?

I am totally in favor of all changes except #3. I don't think you should get innate SP rewards. It will lose the game money from skins, item forms, etc...

The reason I am in favor of 1 & 2, is because even though they lead to less money per service, they should encourage more usage of service which could balance or even raise revenue from those services.

What I would also like to see, and everyone I have spoken to on this has agreed. Is bundled name changes. I have 2 accounts I would like to change the names of all characters, but there is no universe in which that is worth 200 dollars. I think that name changes should be changed to $20 for all the characters on an account, or if that is too extreme make it like $40 for a full account worth of changes.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:27 pm
Team: Fireflies
Main: Selenium
Level: 5115

The prices of item forming and aug removal are already low. Even if you lower prices making items neurobound will mean you'll lose like 90% of the income from this. The only reason to item form or aug remove is to sell it to lesser players because what use is there to itemform a hephaestus machine if one already has a good bhisajvar shm?

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:21 pm
over 9000!

The White Wizard6 wrote:
The prices of item forming and aug removal are already low. Even if you lower prices making items neurobound will mean you'll lose like 90% of the income from this. The only reason to item form or aug remove is to sell it to lesser players because what use is there to itemform a hephaestus machine if one already has a good bhisajvar shm?

You could pass it to a lower level alt on the same account.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:05 pm
over 9000!

ShawnMcCall wrote:
anilv wrote:

I am totally in favor of all changes except #3. I don't think you should get innate SP rewards. It will lose the game money from skins, item forms, etc...

The reason I am in favor of 1 & 2, is because even though they lead to less money per service, they should encourage more usage of service which could balance or even raise revenue from those services.

What I would also like to see, and everyone I have spoken to on this has agreed. Is bundled name changes. I have 2 accounts I would like to change the names of all characters, but there is no universe in which that is worth 200 dollars. I think that name changes should be changed to $20 for all the characters on an account, or if that is too extreme make it like $40 for a full account worth of changes.

Do you mean you support #1 and #3, but not #2?

I don't mind the bundled name change idea, but would have to run it by Jeff.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:06 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Selling my old ship to recoup some of the costs is the main motivator for me when it comes to item forming. I'll sell it it trade chat or sell to a teammate. If I can't do that i'd almost never item form.

$10 to item form doesn't seem very expensive, infarct I think it's a good price. People are only going to be doing this for expensive ships obviously. For that $10 you're getting the opportunity to sell something for 50B+, if not 100B-200B depending on the ship. Very worthwhile.

Name changes i've never used. I'm going to assume that cost $20 based on Shawns reply for 1 character. That does seem expensive and should be lowered.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:19 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

anilv wrote:
Things & Stuff

Yep, my bad. I like 1 & 3. I dislike 2.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:07 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I personally don't see a reason why we couldn't have the cheaper NB system together with the more expensive non-NB system. Gives players more options and it will most likely increase revenue either way

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:43 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

The White Wizard6 wrote:

The prices are low if you're stripping things to sell to other people, at the very end game. Because Cost < Profit.

But what about mid game players? The prices are insane and out of line for mid game players (because they're balanced around the end game only), and I think more mid game players would buy resets and item forming for ships if they weren't prohibitively expensive. The fact that the ship and augs are not neurobound just means that you can reinject those things back into the economy for credits/transfer them between accounts/trade them to other players for other things.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:48 pm
Team: Fireflies
Main: Selenium
Level: 5115

MasterTrader wrote:
The White Wizard6 wrote:

The prices are low if you're stripping things to sell to other people, at the very end game. Because Cost < Profit.

But what about mid game players? The prices are insane and out of line for mid game players (because they're balanced around the end game only), and I think more mid game players would buy resets and item forming for ships if they weren't prohibitively expensive. The fact that the ship and augs are not neurobound just means that you can reinject those things back into the economy for credits/transfer them between accounts/trade them to other players for other things.

There are no mid game players (read below). What mid game player would spend 10$ to item form a ship worth 1b if said player will be making 1b a day after a couple of days of itemforming that ship (assuming that they're not children who suck their parents' accounts)? The only reason to item form or aug remove is at the very endgame when obtaining items can be actually difficult - rare items, not items which can be mass produced at a few levels higher character. Progression in ss is extremely fast even if the player is using a single character. Wasting 10$ on an item that can be obtained in large quantities the next day is a no for actual players and not pay to wins.

Endgame players who use these services have trillions of credits laying around, it should cost them a lot to itemform this 200b worth ship or do aug removal for this nf anger and some other 500b worth augs, this will give them some minimal profit or they can give their no longer used augs/ships to the team mates who need it. Making it neurobound means they would item form or aug remove for items which they no longer have an use for. Only a very few players would make 2 snipers or 2 shms on their single account so they could unaug this nf anger or uaoh.

As for the name changes because I tl;dr the main post, I'd like to see them cheaper, probably a lot players would be interested in them if they were cheaper and they don't influence the game's economy unlike itemforming ships or augs.

DarkSteel wrote:
I personally don't see a reason why we couldn't have the cheaper NB system together with the more expensive non-NB system. Gives players more options and it will most likely increase revenue either way

That's the best solution

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:14 am
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

DarkSteel wrote:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:27 am
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

kanescreed wrote:
DarkSteel wrote:

What the two devs said

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:38 am
over 9000!

Pontius123 wrote:
kanescreed wrote:
DarkSteel wrote:

What the two devs said

The reason we aren't happy with this idea is that we don't want to be offering a ton of similar looking services at different price points. It clutters the store and makes it less likely for people to make purchases.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:54 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

I think it might actually be possible to display all of the options in the store in a way that isn't confusing, it may just require some creativity that's all. I know other games with cash shops have similar looking services at different prices.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:55 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

anilv wrote:

The reason we aren't happy with this idea is that we don't want to be offering a ton of similar looking services at different price points. It clutters the store and makes it less likely for people to make purchases.

That's a UI issue if that is the case, not a service clutter issue

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:45 pm