Would you like to start again with a lot of new/old faces?
Yes to new server 54%  54%  [ 29 ]
No to new server 46%  46%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 54

Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Higaran Leader
Level: 3209

Post Re: New server for steam release
WillPower wrote:
Do something drastic. Let the game thrive or die. Ignore the 50% of your current player base who want to protect their hard earned efforts.

See, I can't take you seriously when you say something like that. A whole lot of time, money, and personal attachment has come out of and into this game. So you can't possibly go around saying "risk it all!" for something that definitely doesn't out way the benefits.

One the one hand, yeah, some things need to be done so that new players can get a great experience and enjoy the game as we have. But you can't do that with a reset because there's simply not enough time to straighten out the kinks before the steam release.

On the other hand, you don't want to fuck over your loyal subscribers: people who have helped build and shape the game in some way as to what it is now. If you dare to reset you risk not gaining a lot of new players and definitely a great loss of older players hence the game dying.

And I believe our goal here is to keep the game going, not kill it.

So no, I'm surprised the idea of a reset is still going around... it just won't work. You got to start looking towards other alternatives.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Main: xXxGunnerxXx
Level: 2975

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Capping at T20 I don't think would work, the older players would just progress far too fast still.

Maybe if we capped at like, T4 or T5, shook up T5-10, unlocked that, shook up T10-15, unlocked that, and then shook up 15-20. Although players may get bored being stuck in Hotrods and such while we work on the next stage.

Another potential problem would be the older players sucking all the resources away from newer ones, with limitations on tech (particularly that everyone is now the same tech level) demand for lower tech stuff will increase. When players start hitting T18-20, demand for dem and ada will be massively high so they can build modules for UZ ships and the like.

A couple of years or so ago, I thought it might be cool to rebalance and push stuff down, so that T22 became T20 and then not add any new tech levels. T21 would become T19, UZ would be T19 and non-UZ T20 would be T18. The rest of the content would be distributed accordingly. The power gap between 20-21 would also be fixed here.

Problem is, this is a massive project that we can't just do (especially not in time for Steam release). The only draw really is that we could fix a lot of things which aren't so easy to fix, or could upset a lot of players if we did.

Why does everyone keep saying a reset? WHY CAN'T WE JUST HAVE 2 SERVERS WITH 2 SETS OF RULES, Honestly i like your idea BD, but you can start the cap at t20 if you turn back how long it took to make old UZ ships so it takes at least 1-2 months for people to fully deck them selves out or even wait and release UZ at a later date, there is so much t20 content to do. Also lets DarkSteel nerf the fuck out of t21 before all these new players realise how fucking easy the game was for 5~ years while the prawn and HM kinda simplified a lot of fights. I think it will revitalise the game PvP/PvB wise because there will be a ton of new teams starting out and there will be a lot of fighting for territory which I'm 90% sure everyone enjoys (Unless you're one of those scrubs that can't stand losing) I think the game would be more enjoyable at t20 because of the amount of variety there is in t20 content, also to add i would suggest nerfing exp by about 50% if this did happen just because a whole part of c1 having a lot of people at separate tech was because it was harder to level.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:02 am
Main: Renaissance
Level: 0

New server is a solid compromise. Do it.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:26 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Player base is simply to small to start another server.

And yes, I'm going to be looking at the resists on t21 and t22 ships since those are definitely the stats that have been blown way out of proportion since t20. Can't say when that will be happening, though. I'm still working on some other projects first.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:44 am
Main: Renaissance
Level: 0

DarkSteel wrote:

And yes, I'm going to be looking at the resists on t21 and t22 ships since those are definitely the stats that have been blown way out of proportion since t20. Can't say when that will be happening, though. I'm still working on some other projects first.

It's small because you're continually pursuing a business model that hasn't succeeded in expanding the player base for over a decade.

Take a risk and stop the games slow decline into oblivion. You'd all be better running a local pub that has the same customer base for a century than an MMO in cut throat competition. You've a chance to take a different approach in concurrency with steam launch and reap rewards previously unattainable. Grow a pair and be proactive.

Where is Jeff in all this? What does he even do at the moment? Who has the real power to dictate terms? Just volunteers who have conflicted interests in maintaining the status quo?

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:23 am

DarkSteel wrote:

Is it just me, or has no one here ever seen a MMO steam release? There is going to be a lot of people who try the game, sure not everyone will stay but I'm sure there will be quite a few people who get addicted to the game as we all did if we can make very good first and second impressions.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:49 pm
Main: Septagons Titan
Level: 2312

gunner876 wrote:
DarkSteel wrote:

Is it just me, or has no one here ever seen a MMO steam release? There is going to be a lot of people who try the game, sure not everyone will stay but I'm sure there will be quite a few people who get addicted to the game as we all did if we can make very good first and second impressions.

I'd just like to make a note here that this bit about first impressions needs to be done properly

This game has the unfortunate honor of having produced the single most cringy moment I've ever seen in an MMO.

Remember years ago that one really minor game reviewer who tried SS out? And had a Dev PMing him in game to offer him help if he needs it, and like 3 people in T22 ships flying around him?

Don't do that. I still get embarrassed remembering that, because it was so transparently desperate ^^;

That's partly why I worry lots about the Steam release. The Nexus is awful, absolutely awful, and barely introduces most of the interesting mechanics in the game. I'm also unsure if they've changed things since half a year ago or so, but it's brutally difficult. Or was at least. An overreliance of kiting to survive, only being able to take a few hits, and no energy bank to speak of make it incredibly unfun. Like, seriously, a year or so ago I made a brand new character to test things out, and even knowing exactly what to go for and pick to level up and equip, it was a painful grind. That's pretty much everything up to T12 or so though, you feel incredibly weak.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:17 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Players have been extremely buffed and AI have been extremely nerfed in the earliest stages of the game, the respawn rate on AI is much higher and the progress through the storyline is much more straightforward. You also are introduced to a variety of things like Drone Deployment, Remote Control and Stations.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:53 pm

They need to make a mission where you setup your own slave for starters :P maybe also a mission that gives you DD and tells you to go deploy a drone to kill a mini uber, introduce them to the good stuff of SS.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:35 pm