Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you like to start again with a lot of new/old faces?
Yes to new server 54%  54%  [ 29 ]
No to new server 46%  46%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 54

Team: Commonwealth
Main: --XrAzEr--
Level: 3812

Post Re: New server for steam release
Dispatched wrote:
And if everything goes well, a legacy pre-21 c1 server.

:twisted:

I want to believe!!!

Honestly if the release this new server all they have to do is lock t21-t22 for first few months and i guarantee it will be just like playing c1 but with better graphics quite a few things will be different but i think it will bring back PvP/BvB and the good old pirate gangs

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:23 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

chris987123 wrote:
but i think it will bring back PvP/BvB

/me has been PvBing/BvBing all uni.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:42 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

If you guys are forum users and don't know whats going on in-game atm, it would be in your best interest to go to Discord where all the fun happens! Under Community there's a link to the channel and you can actually find out what's actually going on like the 2-3 wars that has happen this uni already.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:09 pm
Main: Renaissance
Level: 0

Reset. Old faces come back. Salty (rightly) current players will leave but some won't resist returning. New players enjoy the experience better. Positive for development/experiences focusing on early/mid game which'll enhance gameplay long term, too.

RESET. DO IT JEFF.

MAKE STAR SONATA GREAT AGAIN.

C'mon guys. Brexit / Trump / Italian referendum / Fall of Europe. We all need Star Sonata to be fun again.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:14 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: --XrAzEr--
Level: 3812

WillPower wrote:
Reset. Old faces come back. Salty (rightly) current players will leave but some won't resist returning. New players enjoy the experience better. Positive for development/experiences focusing on early/mid game which'll enhance gameplay long term, too.

RESET. DO IT JEFF.

MAKE STAR SONATA GREAT AGAIN.

C'mon guys. Brexit / Trump / Italian referendum / Fall of Europe. We all need Star Sonata to be fun again.

This guy knows.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:51 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Taylor Swift
Level: 3894

Given my real life career, I will never have the free time anymore to dedicate to the game to get back to where I am now. I can 100% guarantee that a reset of all that I've done would demotivate me to never play again. The fact that I have past time investment in the game is one of the top 3 reasons I intend to play on-and-off from now into the future.

And I do not believe in any way that the "return of old players" combined with the claimed steam-release player retention would compensate for the potential loss and damage of current players being demotivated and no longer playing after a total wipe.

I would like to think the line "excuse me but can I get a shitpost?" is fairly polite.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

I can't imagine we'd ever wipe the current server, there are years of history and progress that people have put in and I know I'd personally hate to lose my own stuff, but I was actually advocating for starting up a new server for steam a few months ago. (just to be clear though, this is not the plan)

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:49 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Horacio
Level: 5465

A new server would just assure the dominance of the old guard, knowledge is so powerful in a game where information is not 100% easily accessible, don't know where this equal footing people envisage comes from, what I hypothetically vision is just the old guard who bother to stay around banding together to progress as fast as possible "potentially" of course some new players would be taken along.

Where base building is such a crucial aspect it's extremely advantageous to the old players who have years of experience and developed the know how to play this game I don't see new players setting up production bases at the rate old players could.

The game just needs to be designed in a way that slowly breaks the new players in without it being too hard, but most importantly makes them feel appropriately relevant, this is not a game that develops new content at a fast pace, although the costs to improve seem quite steep, catching up is not an impossible task, it probably feels that way due to the top heavy existing player base that's currently left, PvP aside (T20 vs T22? May wanna look into that), the message just needs to be conveyed that it's not a completely impossible.

When I came back, the game was much easier than before (Barring in mind I did play before, but I was pretty shit then tbh), I dg'ed at the appropriate levels on both FC and my DM chars, if the new class skills changes allow stuff like this to be possible on the majority of classes, I'd say the early game is at a pretty sweet spot (Perhaps speed up 0-100?, its really a chore and drags on).

Perhaps I'm looking at this wrong but I don't see it helping the new players that much as it might.

You're free to call me Nath if you wish :)

Janussi/Horacio/Jenkins/Hutchinson/Quillan

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:13 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Capping at T20 I don't think would work, the older players would just progress far too fast still.

Maybe if we capped at like, T4 or T5, shook up T5-10, unlocked that, shook up T10-15, unlocked that, and then shook up 15-20. Although players may get bored being stuck in Hotrods and such while we work on the next stage.

Another potential problem would be the older players sucking all the resources away from newer ones, with limitations on tech (particularly that everyone is now the same tech level) demand for lower tech stuff will increase. When players start hitting T18-20, demand for dem and ada will be massively high so they can build modules for UZ ships and the like.

A couple of years or so ago, I thought it might be cool to rebalance and push stuff down, so that T22 became T20 and then not add any new tech levels. T21 would become T19, UZ would be T19 and non-UZ T20 would be T18. The rest of the content would be distributed accordingly. The power gap between 20-21 would also be fixed here.

Problem is, this is a massive project that we can't just do (especially not in time for Steam release). The only draw really is that we could fix a lot of things which aren't so easy to fix, or could upset a lot of players if we did.

Support

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:51 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Capping at T20 I don't think would work, the older players would just progress far too fast still.

Maybe if we capped at like, T4 or T5, shook up T5-10, unlocked that, shook up T10-15, unlocked that, and then shook up 15-20. Although players may get bored being stuck in Hotrods and such while we work on the next stage.

Another potential problem would be the older players sucking all the resources away from newer ones, with limitations on tech (particularly that everyone is now the same tech level) demand for lower tech stuff will increase. When players start hitting T18-20, demand for dem and ada will be massively high so they can build modules for UZ ships and the like.

A couple of years or so ago, I thought it might be cool to rebalance and push stuff down, so that T22 became T20 and then not add any new tech levels. T21 would become T19, UZ would be T19 and non-UZ T20 would be T18. The rest of the content would be distributed accordingly. The power gap between 20-21 would also be fixed here.

Problem is, this is a massive project that we can't just do (especially not in time for Steam release). The only draw really is that we could fix a lot of things which aren't so easy to fix, or could upset a lot of players if we did.

And I agree with this, I honestly don't think that resource scarcity is a bad thing. People will fight over resources, and honestly I don't think putting a cap on the progression of the playerbase is neccessary. The issue isn't that end game players are end game, that would be a silly argument and isn't even the point.

The issue is that end game players have things that new players won't be able to get in a reasonable amount of time, because they played when the game was radically different. And because of the simple fact that existing wealth creates more wealth much faster than creating wealth from scratch. Colonies are more profitable the more money and time you have to invest into them, and newer players will never be able to do the peasant pumping and other tricks that people made their fortunes off of with colonies.

Players rushing to end game isn't the problem, that's not the issue I'm saying needs to be solved. The issue I'm saying needs to be solved is the massive gulf between what was possible in a reasonable amount of time in the past and what is possible in a reasonable amount of time now.

At the present time competition for resources exists but it's not as cut throat as it could be, a cut throat game is a lot more exciting than a leisurely paced one imo. It isn't as cut throat because enough of the big teams and players have plenty of resources to go out and get more resources with...

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:20 pm
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

eliminate skillpoints, rebalance skill costs to compensate.

the levelling system can be changed to base a player's level on the level of the strongest opponent they have defeated

grinding for levels isn't difficult, just tedious and boring. if a player can earn enough credits to pay the training fee and complete whatever mission/task is neccesary to train that skill, they should be able to do so without having to grind for levels.

if anyone has a better suggestion for how to open the game up for new players without penalising veteran players, i'd like to hear it.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:01 am

An overall reset/new server is simply the best decision business wise and promotes longevity of the game which it currently does not have.

How fucking long are you guys going to be content with such a small player base? I remember playing this game 13 years ago and the player base was larger.

Do something radical. Take a leap. It's time to expand or die. You can't live in this current format where you're dependent on unpaid volunteers who play the game and retain a conflict of interest.

Take the high risk/high reward option or let the game die and do something more productive with your time and energy than placating an inevitable demise.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:45 am
Main: Chrono Warrior
Level: 5817

WillPower wrote:
An overall reset/new server is simply the best decision business wise and promotes longevity of the game which it currently does not have.

How fucking long are you guys going to be content with such a small player base? I remember playing this game 13 years ago and the player base was larger.

Do something radical. Take a leap. It's time to expand or die. You can't live in this current format where you're dependent on unpaid volunteers who play the game and retain a conflict of interest.

Take the high risk/high reward option or let the game die and do something more productive with your time and energy than placating an inevitable demise.

In this case the risk outweighs the potential benefits, we don't know if new players from steam would even stick around with a new server, and we know for a fact several seasoned players would quit. And believe it or not, the current dev team is expanding the game, just not in a way you guys like. So you have 2 options: One: keep going on with this pointless thread in which several Devs have already pointed out that a server reset is not going to happen, and Two: jump on the bandwagon and accept the changes coming to the game in the form that they are being engineered.

./endrant

- Chrono

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:02 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

WillPower wrote:

How do you remember playing a game that launched 12 years ago 13 years ago?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 pm

Whatever. My point still stands. I played when I was 11, I'm 24 now. Half a second summation tells me I played 13 years ago, but argue semantics if you wish. The risk does not outweigh the benefits. The benefits are limited by the current player base dynamics. Restart fresh and offer longevity. The game is choked by stagnation. The fact Jeff is happy to settle for such a low demographics is indicative of his eroded motivation.

Do something drastic. Let the game thrive or die. Ignore the 50% of your current player base who want to protect their hard earned efforts.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next