Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you like to start again with a lot of new/old faces?
Yes to new server 54%  54%  [ 29 ]
No to new server 46%  46%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 54

Main: Septagons Titan
Level: 2312

Post Re: New server for steam release
As someone who watched the Reddit thing happen, I sincerely hope that the Steam release won't be like that. If it is? Well, the game will die.

I understand what you mean by asking for the complete server reset, but that's not a good idea I think currently ^^;. Specifically because it would alienate the majority of players who are currently paying for the game. At some point in the future, if the Steam release bring in more than enough subs to replace them? Sure. By all means, kick the rotten structure down. But for now it wouldn't end well.

For the people talking about and making comparisons to EVE Online, that's not really fair. SS is and will never be similar to it on more than the most basic levels. In EVE, I can join Brave Newbies, Pandemic Horde, or one of a billion other corporations and know that with the proper numbers, even my crappy starting ship can make a difference and take down a larger one. When was the last time you saw a player in a Zebucart kill another player?

As for the person talking about 13, well, he was a nice person but the stuff he did in the game was awful. I looked through some old forum posts and saw the explosion that happened while I was gone. I think what people don't understand is that 13 wasn't some sort of bogeyman who caused the downfall of SS. He was a symptom, not the cause. The cause was the frankly awful power gap between new players and older ones, he simply exploited that. Oh, believe me, I agree it was cancerous behavior. But he was playing the game the way it enabled him to play. The blame for him, and others like him falls squarely on the developers.

Overall though, I'm excited for what the Steam release will bring. It's do or die. I hope it'll live, with some of the changes that are going to be implemented, I might end up subscribing finally and mothballing the EF Battleship I've been using for the past 3 years or so ^~^ Besides, it's been awkward being the only F2P person on the forums for like half a decade aside from HPA.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:50 pm
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

Septagon wrote:
I think what people don't understand is that 13 wasn't some sort of bogeyman who caused the downfall of SS. He was a symptom, not the cause. The cause was the frankly awful power gap between new players and older ones, he simply exploited that. Oh, believe me, I agree it was cancerous behavior. But he was playing the game the way it enabled him to play.

I completely agree with this. You can call me carebare but imo when a game enables a high level player to go around wiping nubs I don't think the nubs have much incentive to stick around.

I don't think the current PvP limits reflect the power gap between someone who's been playing for less than a year and is > level 1500 and someone who's been playing for over 3 years and is > level 1500.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:12 am

It's not even remotely carebear, anyone who calls you that is kinda silly. Can systems where newbies can get decimated by more experienced, higher leveled players work? Yus, look at EVE Online.

SS isn't EVE Online though.

iunno how the power gap can be fixed, or if it ever will be.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:32 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Septagon wrote:
It's not even remotely carebear, anyone who calls you that is kinda silly. Can systems where newbies can get decimated by more experienced, higher leveled players work? Yus, look at EVE Online.

I think the power gap can be fixed but before it can be fixed a lot of the stuff currently in game needs to balanced (which the dev team is currently doing), if not youll be balancing things twice or more times for no reason.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 am
Main: The Shaft of Punishment
Level: 0

redalert150 wrote:
Septagon wrote:

I think the power gap can be fixed but before it can be fixed a lot of the stuff currently in game needs to balanced (which the dev team is currently doing), if not youll be balancing things twice or more times for no reason.

Oi, you need a Purple Username Text so you don't confuse poor Septagon.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:45 am

Oh neat, Red is part of the dev team now?

Also, boop, hai Churchill!

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:06 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: --XrAzEr--
Level: 3812

Steam release is basically 2-3 days of fame, I've seen a recent game called tiger knight(MMO) get 10k players and currently has around 5k players playing daily and it's been out for a month that why i said steam can save the game, but with the current way the game works, it most likely wont change anything. We're going to get a few stragglers who stay but will most likely quit after 1-2 months due to being griefed by the the 5+ years players who absolutely shit on any new player, the only people who don't want a new separate server are the old players that want to sell all their alts and cash out when the new wave comes in.

I honestly think that a new seperate server would be the best course of action for new/old players because I know plenty of old SS players who want to come back but don't due to the massive gap between players and that the servers are basically dead. It's rare to run into someone on SS outside of EF space unless its a jutax.

If they were to release a new server and lock t21/t22 content until a further date and only have UZ open for release on steam I honestly think there would be a ton of balance compared to how the game state is right now. people miss c1 because of the nostilga of balance you diden't have people mcing 10 accounts to PvP a lot of players only had 1-2 accounts and the game was fairly balanced i miss the days of playing with players and not playing 10 accounts on my own vs another guy thats playing 10 accounts on his own

I honestly think that if a new server was released and locked to UZ and the devs actually balanced t21/t22 content while people had fun with t0-t20 the game could be in a much better state, but as always the devs don't want to hurt the feelings of any of the current playerbase because the amount of people playing is low as it is, the prawn should of lost its 4th aug slot years ago and got a decent aura.

I just think that a new server that locked all content past t20 for the time being would save the game, and redeem the qualitys C1 had that we enjoyed so much, yeah sure quite a bit of the game is different but you all have to admit c1 was the funnest shit out. and i don't know why the devs don't load up the old SS client and play it and check out what made the game so great at the time. I remember how fun BvB was, PvB and PvP the only problem was the greifers who made level 20 accounts and greifed all the noobs while healing on their main ShM which made the community salty and devs changed it due popular opinion.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:14 am

redalert150 wrote:
Septagon wrote:

That's why i suggested a new server that plays t20 only at the moment, The devs know exactly what needs fixing and balancing but they do not do it due the upsetting the player base. Having a seperate server and locking t21 and t22 while its tuned to perfection would be epic, they've have like 6+ years Oly has been out to balance t21 but somehow it's still OP as fuck, t21 beats t22 slightly, t20 gets absolutely shit on compared to t21, these are all issues that should been fixed long ago but they were not.

I doubt we would get a separate new server because of how much work it is for the devs even though it would help the game soooo much.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:20 am

Quote:
I honestly think that a new seperate server would be the best course of action for new/old players because I know plenty of old SS players who want to come back but don't due to the massive gap between players and that the servers are basically dead. It's rare to run into someone on SS outside of EF space unless its a jutax.

First of all i highly doubt maintaining a whole new server is a option nor that it would even be a good idea. There are others way to put everyone on a even playing field(which can be discussed later down the line when introducing new zones perhaps or rebalancing old zones), a server restart isnt really a realistic one at this point.

As far as your assumption of the current server being dead and only running into players in juxtas sometimes, do you even currently play the game? I constantly run into players in perilous space, not even looking for them just on the way to heavily populated zones (oly, subspace, UZ, popular DGs). We might not have 5000 active players right now roaming the universe but this game is far from dead and the dev team is making nothing but positive changes to keep the game growing.

Just last uni an entire new zone for end game players was added. Nexus got revamped for more fun. An entire line of new OP cheaper augs alternatives from tech 1 to tech 22 were added. A class rescalling for a better early/midgame experience started to be worked on (should be in game very soon). Not to mention the several quality of life changes to bases and production. Also there is tons more in store to make the game even better for everyone.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:44 am

redalert150 wrote:
Quote:

First of all i highly doubt maintaining a whole new server is a option nor that it would even be a good idea. There are others way to put everyone on a even playing field(which can be discussed later down the line when introducing new zones perhaps or rebalancing old zones), a server restart isnt really a realistic one at this point.

As far as your assumption of the current server being dead and only running into players in juxtas sometimes, do you even currently play the game? I constantly run into players in perilous space, not even looking for them just on the way to heavily populated zones (oly, subspace, UZ, popular DGs). We might not have 5000 active players right now roaming the universe but this game is far from dead and the dev team is making nothing but positive changes to keep the game growing.

Just last uni an entire new zone for end game players was added. Nexus got revamped for more fun. An entire line of new OP cheaper augs alternatives from tech 1 to tech 22 were added. A class rescalling for a better early/midgame experience started to be worked on (should be in game very soon). Not to mention the several quality of life changes to bases and production. Also there is tons more in store to make the game even better for everyone.

Meh, was worth a try guess i'm going to have to watch my childhood game just drop and die, enjoy all these new players quiting when griefers get on their alts with the best gear ingame and kill f2p players as they warp out of EF, Inc hotrod+ with bule insanity when a HM ShM healing them crushing noobs.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:14 am

Quote:
Inc hotrod+ with bule insanity when a HM ShM healing them crushing noobs.

Havent played in forever confirmed :lol:

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:15 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Earthforce layer is no pvp either way so you won't see griefers there.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:24 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

chris987123 wrote:
redalert150 wrote:
Quote:

Meh, was worth a try guess i'm going to have to watch my childhood game just drop and die, enjoy all these new players quiting when griefers get on their alts with the best gear ingame and kill f2p players as they warp out of EF, Inc hotrod+ with bule insanity when a HM ShM healing them crushing noobs.

Good job, you completely undermined any point you were making with that statement...

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:25 am
Team: Traders
Main: Mow
Level: 9760

sabre198 wrote:
13 wouldnt even let you get to t20

This. As people have also said, It just won't happen. We have had this discussion about a second server for years, often it was other a server without PVP or a server for those who wish to play offline.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:04 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

in reality all these issue can be solved by >n
lets hope n gets to a sufficent level to support a normal rational playerbase

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next