Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Higaran Leader
Level: 3209

Post New Uni Structure
Soooo are we going to see the new universe as a cluster of systems as described here in this dev blog: http://www.starsonata.com/blog/weekly-dev-blog-7th-september/ or are we getting stuck with the weird circle again? How's the development progress been on that anyways?

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Post Re: New Uni Structure
Weird circle. I like the circle, though.

Bobbo says that DarthSteel's new Emp system will force create more DF300 gals, which means less w1 galaxies and maybe less w2 galaxies.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:36 am
Contributor
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

We're stuck with the weird circle again. We want to use the circular shape in place of the typical spiral galaxy layout as it discourages edge hugging (having your back to a wall, or a lack of galaxies to be specific, giving you less gals that border neutral or other team's gals).

Bobbo prototyped with that universe generation as a test. It's possible we use that layout in the future, and it's possible we do not.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Tron20 wrote:
Soooo are we going to see the new universe as a cluster of systems as described here in this dev blog: http://www.starsonata.com/blog/weekly-dev-blog-7th-september/ or are we getting stuck with the weird circle again? How's the development progress been on that anyways?

As SunDog said, Wild Space is staying as the circle with the high DF galaxies in the centre. This is to increase the number of border galaxies teams that want good space are required to hold.

Max235 wrote:
Weird circle. I like the circle, though.

Bobbo says that DarthSteel's new Emp system will force create more DF300 gals, which means less w1 galaxies and maybe less w2 galaxies.

That's not what I said, at all.
I said adding more DF300 gals will mean less w1 (and maybe w2) galaxies unless I increase the size of the layer or the step (amount the DF changes per jump).
Quote:
[10:56 PM] Chrono: @Developer Will there be any changes to wild space layout next uni?
[10:57 PM] SunDoggo: Yes.
[10:57 PM] Danger: should be a slight change aka more df 300 and a fix to the smidgins being in such high DFs
[10:57 PM] SunDoggo: There will be more DF300 gals in the center.
[10:57 PM] Chrono: Does that mean there will be less W1/2 gals
[10:57 PM] Danger: (which, smidgins could still be there but shouldn't be as bad as it was this uni)
[10:57 PM] Danger: eum
[11:11 PM] Maxathron: Hopefully less w1
[11:11 PM] Maxathron: because the resources in w1 are terribad except for one specific galaxy
[11:11 PM] Bobbo: Unless I add more galaxies or change the step, there will be less w1

Specifically, the plan is to change it so that the galaxies off the central one is DF300 too.

The clustering galaxy system I wrote was not even in game code (it was most an experiment weekend with producing PNG images and seeing what is possible). However, it is something I want to add. If I do, it'll replace Perilous Space's random shape, because the random shape simply sucks.

Support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:50 am
Main: Higaran Leader
Level: 3209

Ah I see. Was looking forward to the clusters as it is something more "realistic?" and it makes certain parts of space seem more like regions along with giving teams a subconscious goal of taking the entire cluster to make it their home.

I'm sure there are ways to implement more boarders into richer systems with clusters, but if it's still in development, oh well. But I do think it would be more appealing for the steam release rather than a giant circle, imo.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Seele Piraten
Main: Klestiko
Level: 1994

SunDog60 wrote:
We're stuck with the weird circle again. We want to use the circular shape in place of the typical spiral galaxy layout as it discourages edge hugging (having your back to a wall, or a lack of galaxies to be specific, giving you less gals that border neutral or other team's gals).

Bobbo prototyped with that universe generation as a test. It's possible we use that layout in the future, and it's possible we do not.

Why though? That's called a strategic advantage. It's the sort of thing that could allow smaller teams to hold their own against larger teams thus fighting the stagnation of gameplay. Humm.

Have been watching this game for a decade now. The more PvP there is, the more activity in real time and over time there is in general. The most hardcore players I've met in this game have were often also inspired to spend the time and effort on this game due to the epic PvP they bore witness to as noobs.

Strategic Advantages, or 'Inequalities' as you would probably call them, do not necessarily serve to make people 'Unequal' or 'Advantaged' in a general sense, however they are also utilized by smaller/weaker/newer yet savvier/more organized teams to gain ground on the oldies that have cemented their wealth and power in years ago and are going inactive through boredom.

If anything there should be more edges. Also a less equal distribution of valuable commodities, but lets not conflate things any more than necessary.

Last edited by crackaman on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:28 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

crackaman wrote:
SunDog60 wrote:

Why though? That's called a strategic advantage. It's the sort of thing that could allow smaller teams to hold their own against larger teams thus fighting stagnation of gameplay. Humm.

We don't want people with Danger Factor 300 galaxies edge hugging, we're fine with teams in lower danger factor galaxies edge hugging. That's why there are still edges. :P

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

crackaman wrote:
SunDog60 wrote:

Why though? That's called a strategic advantage. It's the sort of thing that could allow smaller teams to hold their own against larger teams thus fighting the stagnation of gameplay. Humm.

Have been watching this game for a decade now. The more PvP there is, the more activity in real time and over time there is in general. The most hardcore players I've met in this game have were often also inspired to spend the time and effort on this game due to the epic PvP they bore witness to as noobs.

Strategic Advantages, or 'Inequalities' as you would probably call them, do not necessarily serve to make people 'Unequal' or 'Advantaged' in a general sense, however they are also utilized by smaller/weaker/newer yet savvier/more organized teams to gain ground on the oldies that have cemented their wealth and power in years ago and are going inactive through boredom.

If anything there should be more edges. Also a less equal distribution of valuable commodities, but lets not conflate things any more than necessary.

Obviously the map still has edges. What kind of topological wizards do you think we are? The point is, the edges are the lower end of DF so those noobs you are referring to can do exactly what you describe to stay safe.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:43 am

anilv wrote:
Obviously the map still has edges. What kind of topological wizards do you think we are? The point is, the edges are the lower end of DF so those noobs you are referring to can do exactly what you describe to stay safe.

Should still be places in the higher DF with much edges so those noobs can make an attempt at mediocrity by chancing on some more easily defensible yet still presumably more valuable space during a uni reset if they're willing to.

Also if anyone here is a topological wizard it's probably you.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:54 am
over 9000!

crackaman wrote:
anilv wrote:

Should still be places in the higher DF with much edges so those noobs can make an attempt at mediocrity by chancing on some more easily defensible yet still presumably more valuable space during a uni reset if they're willing to.

Also if anyone here is a topological wizard it's probably you.

Except in practice those areas would be nabbed by top teams every time.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:37 am
Main: Taylor Swift
Level: 3894

What if the clusters weren't all present at the start of the universe? What if a couple new clusters of galaxies appear after 1-2 weeks?

I would like to think the line "excuse me but can I get a shitpost?" is fairly polite.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:43 am

anilv wrote:

Except the times when end-game players make a new team and merge up with some of the noobier teams while paying off the pirates (if they exist) in an effort to alter the existing power structure of the universe in their favor.
cej1120con wrote:
What if the clusters weren't all present at the start of the universe? What if a couple new clusters of galaxies appear after 1-2 weeks?

This.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 am
over 9000!

crackaman wrote:
anilv wrote:

Except the times when end-game players make a new team and merge up with some of the noobier teams while paying off the pirates (if they exist) in an effort to alter the existing power structure of the universe in their favor.

I just don't think you are sufficiently well informed about the state of galaxy defense to comment. Your perspective seems to be years out of date here.

cej1120con wrote:

This.

Maybe sometime in the far future we will look into this. The dev team has discussed it from time to time but it's not a priority right now.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:05 am

anilv wrote:
I just don't think you are sufficiently well informed about the state of galaxy defense to comment.

That's what they said the first time. :lol:

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:08 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

crackaman wrote:
anilv wrote:
I just don't think you are sufficiently well informed about the state of galaxy defense to comment.

That's what they said the first time. :lol:

Are you playing again? I want to see what the Blood Striker looks like in C2.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:04 am