Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Main: Septagons Titan
Level: 2312

Post Botting/Mass Exploiting Discussion Thread
I can't even be assed to make a summary of what happened, lets just say lots of people doing naughty clientside things using naughty bots. This is bad stuff.

Discuss.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:50 pm
Team: Fireflies
Main: The White Wizard
Level: 4276

Post Re: Botting/Mass Exploiting Discussion Thread
What a bunch of dicks they are

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

What it shows is that this game is far more broken than people actually thought. It shows that this game is nowhere near "ready" for Steam (though I think it never was anyway). It might be time to get some professionals in (no offense).

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:29 am
Press Corps
Team: Aidelon
Main: DragonGod (Slaver)
Level: 4121

Every MMO has bots, having people use bots doesn't mean the game is broken. There are usually more ways to circumvent the system than to defend it. I'm sure the devs could find a way to find and break bots/ban users who use them as others have before.

Really all this indicates is a lack of integrity in the community, but nothing is new about that. Honestly I'm surprised it's taken this long to find people using bots.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:17 am
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

If I understand properly it's not just automation, it's memory editing the client as well.

A lot of the more modern MMOs can at least detect this behavior.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

I remember Goett afk with his megafleet in 2012 using auto it.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 am
Profile WWW

Well, now that I'm awake I can give a better summary of what happened for the people who missed out.

Dr. Feelgood basically revealed that for years now he and Curse had developed, used, and sold to others (who then spread it around) a botting program made in Cheat Engine (lol) that among other things let players modify their ship values like thrust, speed, inventory size, and more. It turns out that most of the things in SS are handled clientside. Feelgoods bots alone have dumped absurd amounts of things like DG goods or prospecting goods into the market over the years, but remember that multiple others were doing stuff like this too. There are also a lot of other exploits and things he didn't go into detail on.

Not only did this happen, but also it turns out that two of the player developers did naughty things too. Red knew about the cheats and hacking and stuff but didn't report the people responsible for using them because they were his friends/"lol I'm just a dev I don't report people", and some other dev was mentioned finding out about teleport glitches or something and using them. Feelgood also mentioned that he was able to gain access to the server or something (and demonstrated this in the discord last night), and that at some point in the past Jey, who knew about the exploit since like 2014 scolded Feelgood for it. None of this stuff was even really hidden, Feelgood made some effort at being discrete but Curse literally was followed into a DG on a bot by one of the devs one time and nothing ever came of it. He's also been using speedhacks to move at double his ships speed for ages now he claimed.

Among the people who used the bot were Stifler, Vaporize, brendon/pimp slayer or whatever his name is along with his entire team. He also claimed that shaft benefited from the bot, and that 13 was the first person to learn about the bot way back when Feelgood was collecting ideas for features.

There's more that I'm missing probably. Suffice it to say that this game is now basically confirmed to not being coming out on Steam for another year or two minimum, and that who knows how many people in the playerbase have been botting and exploiting at this point. Feelgood mentioned it had spread beyond those people he sold/gave it to originally and had people approach him about it even after he stopped selling it.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 am

>curse didn't develop the bot, he has no idea of programming and he didn't know about the bot's existence for a while until I was like "ok idc if he gets me banned". Some time later I taught him some basics of cheat engine so he would assist with updating the bot when game client gets a patch
>the bot wasn't made in cheat engine, it was made in codeblocks with c++11, cheat engine was used to dissect the client
>I only sold like 0.5% of what the bots got me from dging/prospecting, everything I kept for myself or asked ridiculous prices for the items/commods
>also the auto dging and such existed late 2015, could say in total I botted only like 2 months (not including the mcing assistance)
>there were plenty of players who were aware of the cheats (including your so beloved daedalus) and never reported it
>stifler and vaporize tried to get curse banned (after I quit playing, late 2016) "for the bot"
>it's common knowledge how I got the ss server files and there's nothing to be done about it, I got scolded some times for giving out stats on items that aren't accessible for normal players so I stopped doing so
>I always kept the bot away from the playerbase, I played ss as if it was a single player game keeping all of the bot for myself, a couple of exceptions happened like I abused the "anti grav distruptor" when pvbing SaP or when I unleashed all the hacks upon curse at the day I disowned him (happened in high traffic gal)
>curse never learned how to set up dg/prospecting/whatever auto bots even though it was simple (just had to type like 3 words in the config file), it was me who was running the bot at the time, in a game like star sonata it's also difficult to distinguish a bot or a player
>there's at least 20 players who have the bot right now, some of them most likely don't know how to update it

https://discord.gg/qAMYpKw
Here's the link for those who want to see how it exactly was

Last edited by the white wizard on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks for the corrections, a lot of what happened on the Discord yesterday was kinda jumbled and a mess so it was hard to parse.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:47 am
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

That's a bit misleading, isn't it?

I said I knew you were up to something. I knew you had a history of using bots, something I assumed was public knowledge and was more or less beating a dead horse. I never bothered to report anything or ever raise a discussion about it because I had absolutely no evidence to back it up, other than seeing you pull off some insanely crazy things that shouldn't be possible. Unfortunately "I saw it" doesn't really constitute an argument, especially from me.

When I said I wasn't surprised this had happened, it's because something just wasn't right with some of the things you had and were doing, something didn't add up at all and after this revelation, it all makes sense now. Some of the giveaways were the excuses for why you had insane speed, turning, radar etc. was because of mods.

If you wanted to be funny, you could say that because most of the time you were blaming these insane stats you had on modifications, you made the Devs actually believe that mods themselves at the moment are severely broken and need rebalancing. So in a way, you tricked the devs into thinking something was broken that really wasn't. You made them run around like cockroaches searching for rotting food.

While this revelation is really bad and shows just how fucking corrupt the dev team is AND shows why you shouldn't just let any player become a Developer, it's fucking hilarious at how foolish it's made the administration of this game look.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:59 am

We were completely careless with the bot with you around, I had engis autoscooping loots and I even used teleport hack on single alts sometimes when you were there. There's no way one couldn't see that as "fishy/cheating". There also were moments when both me and curse went afk deep in kalthi depths and you were there, sitting next to the alts which would auto shoot/scoop/heal/amp/missile/everything knowing that we both were afk. Curse got you on the team even though I was against it, but I "cba'd, if anything then curse's fault"

The extremely broken mods on items also amplified the effect of hacks. Though it's difficult to do it without exploits, I still could get that ridiculous 600k shield and 95% resists on my tank, still got the ridiculously high 1.3m dps burst dps on prawn snipers with just the mods on items, still had the ridiculous ~85k hps shm with just the mods. Mods on items are broken and a full set of them can at least double players' stats.

"Ship speed hack" was still in some way limited but the more sleek mods I had the more I could increase the speed

Also as a funfact, nobody complained or said anything about my seer being "uncatchable". I had coded my own PWIs and hotkeyed them, one was for teleporting right behind the target and 3 were for getting away right after I blew up the target. Apparently it seemed "legit" to everyone that I was teleporting so frequently on the seer. Didn't play it much though, got bored of it quickly.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Tomzta09 wrote:
What it shows is that this game is far more broken than people actually thought. It shows that this game is nowhere near "ready" for Steam (though I think it never was anyway). It might be time to get some professionals in (no offense).

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:11 pm
Team: Relentless Community
Main: SinsOfOurFathers
Level: 6063

Who was the first one to mod the client. IIRC it was wingding? His client could teleport you around in a instant but something was done to move control away from client side. Guess c2 crewed it up and gave the client more control again. A dev like Jey who did free work for jeff? Lets not forget Julian who was giving it out. After finding this out how can anyone be against a total reset once the game is fixed. The damage is unimaginable.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:23 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

Anyone who knows anything about cheatengine knows that teleporting yourself is dead simple.
Also, the speed limit only fixes itself if you increase your clientside limit to a factor of more than 2.

Why those things are so easy to change clientside I have no idea.
There was nothing surprising about it though. The devs didn't do their work properly and it was only a matter of time until people realize it.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:18 am
Team: Gambit
Main: mater
Level: 5194

Surprisingly Lemon is not mentioned in this

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:25 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next