Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Post Re: It's time to wipe the server
Max235 wrote:
Same. It's like "Well, we know you just spent 10 years of your life to get a Master's degree, but to put everyone on an even playing field we're deleting all Associate, Bachelor, Master, PhD, and Technical Degrees. We're doing it because we feel the extra benefit of having a degree offends those who couldn't get one. Ta ta!"

That was a pretty bad analogy. A degree and time spent on star sonata are very different. Star Sonata won't cost you 10s of thousands of dollars, and it won't be nearly as life changing as a degree.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:03 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

then you wont mind handing out all your modded gear in sol then

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Or just handing over your account.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 am

theres already a trust issue growing, you have to be sure that the long term work you put in will remain "worthwhile" when yo commit to play a MMO.

At the moment there's a certain probability that Devmins will just wake up one morning and pick something thats cost you a lot of time and money to work on in the past. He could do this again at any point, even after something has been touched, it could be touched again and cause all your own "degrees" to be worthless. Of course it will be a great laugh to those guys and much back slapping will ensue amongst the wise ones, when this happens to you.

This was never really an issue in the past as SS was mostly unchangeable over time. Now it changes on a whim, as you can tell by the abandonment of the wiki, again this sentiment applies there. Is it worthwhile to edit the wiki? probably not, why because it will change the day after I put something in knowing my luck!

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

sabre198 wrote:
then you wont mind handing out all your modded gear in sol then

Max235 wrote:
Or just handing over your account.

If the whole player base is doing it hell yeah I'll join. I could have all my characters regeared within 2-3 unis anyway. We get to be level 0 with all the new steam players. We get an economy that isn't tainted with a decades worth of exploits. Unobtainable legacy gear/mods are gone. I'd be a little excited actually.

Altho I'd prefer the 2nd server option over a server wipe.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:21 pm
Team: Sykes
Main: PlasmitetheSecond
Level: 858

Checked on SS randomly,saw this, got really excited.

A server reset would make me come back and give you money again.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Only a small percentage of characters have legacy gear/mods that truly make a difference, especially with the mod rework obliterating the power of the 5+ mod items. And all of them do not suffice to make a single team a powerhouse over a conventional team with greater population.

Add an influx of people (say, 500) and all that power goes out the window because a more active team will hands down swamp a smaller legacy team. With even 50 more noobs, a team like DSF can overcome a team like EF because of the greater population means more gatherers, more active fighters, and more directions to attack from. Instead of coordinating one or two BVBs, DSF could coordinate six at the same time.

What legacy gear (and multiple accounts per player) mean is that a team that doesn't want to spread out or have found a nice choke point can massively fortify that location and prevent the more maneuverable and numerous attacker from digging them out.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:26 am

Max235 wrote:
What legacy gear (and multiple accounts per player) mean is that a team that doesn't want to spread out or have found a nice choke point can massively fortify that location and prevent the more maneuverable and numerous attacker from digging them out.

sometimes Im sure you play a different game to everyone else, this has literally never happened due to legacy gear

drop in 5k players and the presence of rare barnacled players will add character and intrigue.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 am
Profile WWW

It has never happened because there has never been 5000 p2p players in this game. I'm speaking of an old team like Zephyr or RE. Oh we're going to build this way, can't, theres a team here with ada kits...lets go the other direction, nope same team.

When I mean legacy gear, I don't mean Klestiko's Blood Striker. I mean having a KRS with ***** SI, Evil, Comp, Amp, Mini from before the mod rework.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 pm
Team: Interstellar
Main: tr1p1ea
Level: 3130

Not sure I see how someone having a lot of resources because they have been p2ping for 10 years is unfair...

Talk of resetting peoples accounts is lunacy.

Plus if everyone starts fresh there will be noone in awesome ships etc to show new players the variety in content and what to strive for ... They will think the entire universe is filled with zebus.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:08 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
tr1p1ea wrote:
the entire universe is filled with zebus.

It is though.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:27 pm
Main: xXxGunnerxXx
Level: 2975

Let's be honest, the people who don't want a wipe are basically the people who will make money off their assets.

That being said, If they were to wipe the server and send an email to everyone on their mailing list, I could see a huge amount of players coming back to try it due to nostalgia and there'd be a lot of old faces showing up, more than you'd think. We can all enjoy our pipe dream of the servers being wiped and it being a FFA again, It will stay a pipe dream like steam release ;P

If they ever did reset the servers on steam release, I'd hope they would lock the highest tech to T20, and from there on slowly release already out content to keep the games progression at a steady pace, You'd be surprised. A lot of games do this when opening new servers and works rather well, That's why p2w MMOs release new servers every 2-3 months for payday and then merge not long after.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:01 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

gunner876 wrote:
Let's be honest, the people who don't want a wipe are basically the people who will make money off their assets.

There was an awesome youtube video i saw a few days ago explaining this with a CCG that tried a full wipe...and watched all its players leave.

Which is what the people who are opposing this are concerned about, loosing 90% of legacy players in an MMO as over produced as star sonata will pretty much spell the end of star sonata.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:15 am

Cannot guarantee a rebound of playerbase from the vast majority who will instantly quit when their weeks/months/years of work is gone.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:54 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Found it! https://youtu.be/Bxszx60ZwGw?t=126

Max235 wrote:
Cannot guarantee a rebound of playerbase from the vast majority who will instantly quit when their weeks/months/years of work is gone.

me and maxa are agreeing...this feels dirty.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next