Team: Star Revolution X
Main: cyraptor2
Level: 3713

Post loot distribution
A while ago, I organized a public oly run with randoms using LFG. The run itself went quite well and I also managed to witness our endgame FCs tear the place apart. Pretty cool stuff.

One thing that bothered me was the loot distribution. We rolled for loot order(highest roll gets to pick first, second highest gets to pick next etc.) and started handing out everything. Took a total of an hour to get through most of the loot. I ended up doing an 'ultimate roll' for all the leftovers because it was just a gigantic pain to sort through the rest.

And so I ask. Does anyone have a better idea for loot distribution? I'm all open for suggestions.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:20 am
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

Post Re: loot distribution
Some games have a per-player instanced chest with random gear from the drop table, not a bad idea imo.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:46 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

If you were rolling on literally every item scooped, I can see why that took so long. On Traders, there's usually less than a dozen individual items that are considered worth rolling for. We randomize the squad order the go through, randomizing again at the end of the list. This works out the same as if everyone rolls for squad order, but it's less chaotic our way since the squad leader is the only one rolling in Galaxy chat.

The best I can suggest for runs in which every last item is considered roll-worthy would be to set standards ahead of time as to which items are roll-able. For example, you could say that all boss fragments and "aspect" augmenters count as a single loot item, ditto all normal augmenters, ditto all T0-1 blueprints.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:07 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: cyraptor2
Level: 3713

iwnh01 wrote:
Some games have a per-player instanced chest with random gear from the drop table, not a bad idea imo.

A feature like this would be nice.

anilv wrote:
If you were rolling on literally every item scooped, I can see why that took so long.

We rolled for squad order. Made the highest roll pick 1st, lowest roll pick last etc. I remember waiting a while for people to pick their stuff. That might've been the problem.

anilv wrote:
On Traders, there's usually less than a dozen individual items that are considered worth rolling for. We randomize the squad order the go through, randomizing again at the end of the list. This works out the same as if everyone rolls for squad order, but it's less chaotic our way since the squad leader is the only one rolling in Galaxy chat.

By this, do you mean something like:

1. Squad rolls for loot order(each person rolls out of 100)
2. Squad leader rolls out of (amount of squad members)
3. Loot goes to guy who had the same number as the roll
4. Repeat from 2 until finished

anilv wrote:
The best I can suggest for runs in which every last item is considered roll-worthy would be to set standards ahead of time as to which items are roll-able. For example, you could say that all boss fragments and "aspect" augmenters count as a single loot item, ditto all normal augmenters, ditto all T0-1 blueprints.

I agree. Bunching up the normal augs and BPs should definitely save some time.

Something like (Make people roll for shiny stuff -> Roll for squad order then randomly distribute the leftovers) might be nice too. Making people roll for the valuable stuff first might give them a much more enjoyable shot at it.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:14 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

If I do public runs, everyone does /roll 100. Players pick one piece of loot at the time going down from player who rolled highest. When everyone has picked something, second round starts. Second round is in reversed order so last roll gets two picks in a row.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

cyraptor wrote:
By this, do you mean something like:

1. Squad rolls for loot order(each person rolls out of 100)
2. Squad leader rolls out of (amount of squad members)
3. Loot goes to guy who had the same number as the roll
4. Repeat from 2 until finished

No. See mockup below.

Sample Squad:
1. DarkSteel
2. enkelin
3. Rhys

Leader does /roll 3 => comes up with a 2. Enkelin gets first pick. Leader does /roll 2 => comes up with a 2. Rhys gets first pick (he's the second in the squad if you pop enkelin out of it). Then DarkSteel gets last pick because he's the only one left. That's one round of rolls. Then the leader starts a new round with a fresh /roll 3 (everyone's included again).

It has the same RNG as everyone rolling for position, but it's less hectic since the leader is the only one doing any rolling in gal chat.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

iwnh01 wrote:

I like this idea

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 am
Team: The Dividing Contrast
Main: The Ultimatum
Level: 282

The best way i've found of splitting loot is basically stick it all on a xfer kit ./roll 100 highest picks first, second highest picks second, ect ect. Then once everyones had a pick repeat.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:07 pm